Author Topic: Tracking Santa  (Read 1212 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Tracking Santa
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is usually a pretty serious organization. It is that group that is tasked with watching overall global orbital and sub- orbital movement and determining what is a threat to North American security. Put another way, they are tasked with tracking incoming ICBMs, alerting other gov't agencies and plotting where said ICBMs are targeted. As I said, a pretty serious organization..... mostly.

As the story goes, Sears put an advertisement in a local Colorado newspaper offering children a chance to call and talk to Santa. Someone made a mistake though and the telephone number published was actually for NORAD. So as not to disappoint the children, a Col. Harry Shoup told them where Santa was on his yearly route. Somehow or other this because a yearly tradition for NORAD and from Christmas Eve 1955 to today, each Christmas Eve, NORAD reports the position of Santa publicly all night long. Now it can be found using Goggle Earth and NORAD's own web site but it is still NORAD organizing and providing the tracking information.

So there you have it- one of the US and Canada's premier military organizations, normally busy protecting us from perhaps the most serious of all threats, takes the time to provide us with yet another critical service- tracking Santa Claus.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
Re: Tracking Santa
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
Great! I am going to try and stay up late enough this year again to see him. In the meantime, I will put out a glass of milk and a plate of nuts for him....

Kirby

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is usually a pretty serious organization. It is that group that is tasked with watching overall global orbital and sub- orbital movement and determining what is a threat to North American security. Put another way, they are tasked with tracking incoming ICBMs, alerting other gov't agencies and plotting where said ICBMs are targeted. As I said, a pretty serious organization..... mostly.

As the story goes, Sears put an advertisement in a local Colorado newspaper offering children a chance to call and talk to Santa. Someone made a mistake though and the telephone number published was actually for NORAD. So as not to disappoint the children, a Col. Harry Shoup told them where Santa was on his yearly route. Somehow or other this because a yearly tradition for NORAD and from Christmas Eve 1955 to today, each Christmas Eve, NORAD reports the position of Santa publicly all night long. Now it can be found using Goggle Earth and NORAD's own web site but it is still NORAD organizing and providing the tracking information.

So there you have it- one of the US and Canada's premier military organizations, normally busy protecting us from perhaps the most serious of all threats, takes the time to provide us with yet another critical service- tracking Santa Claus.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Brian
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
Great! I am going to try and stay up late enough this year again to see him. In the meantime, I will put out a glass of milk and a plate of nuts for him....

Kirby

After 12 years up here, Santa seems to prefer gin and tonic with a little lime juice, and a few olives to munch on. It's all gone in the AM anyway.

I'll set a plate of cheese and raisins out this year, maybe some peanut butter. Since I don't have a KiPass, best I can do.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
I know it is too late for some, and close to time for others, but here's the tracking site:

http://www.noradsanta.org/
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157