Author Topic: 2014 concours 14 vs newer  (Read 1908 times)

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

Re: 2014 concours 14 vs newer
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
I think the gen2  gen3 years are 10-14 and 15-21 respectively.

Anyhow I'd be interested in other opinions on the revised linked braking on the 15+ vs the 14 and older. I'm still on an 08 and thinking about going to a newer one mostly for the improved heat management. Wondering if it's worth the extra $$ for the 2015 and up bike.

Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »
Anyhow I'd be interested in other opinions on the revised linked braking on the 15+ vs the 14 and older. I'm still on an 08 and thinking about going to a newer one mostly for the improved heat management. Wondering if it's worth the extra $$ for the 2015 and up bike.

Most of the extra $$ for the gen2.1 vs gen2 will just be because it is a newer model year.  Even if you are comparing two new ones (unsold old new bikes vs. current year).  I expect it will be impossible to find a new gen 2 (2010-2014) at this point, since those are now at least 7 years old (by model year) and dealers would have become pretty desperate to unload them long ago.  Not sure though, since I hadn't shopped.  So really, it sounds like you are talking used.  At that point, the warranty has been ticking, and that does (to a lot of people) matter quite a bit.  Plus you then have to worry about condition, modifications someone did, how it was maintained or treated, etc.  Gets complicated pretty quickly.

The only meaning diff between < 2015 and 2015+ is the reduced linking.  If that might matter to you, then you have to figure out how much it matters.  I expect for most people, it won't matter at all, especially compared to price, color, condition, warranty status, and availability.

As for the ACTUAL difference in linking- we have no real technical data (quantitative), just a marketing blurb.  So any information you do get will just be subjective "impressions".  In which case you have to factor in placebo effects, who is comparing, bias, exactly what they are observing or comparing to, and if there are other confounds- like how old a bike they were using, did they test both modes, were "test" conditions identical, was anything physically wrong with the comparison bike, etc.  And you won't find a double-blind test, for sure (not even a single-blind test).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
I have a 2014, and found (because of the Linking) the change when you applied the second brake, was too sudden.
ie; wasn't a smooth transition when you added the rear brake while using the front.

I solved the problem by not using the rear brake at all.
(Because of the Linking) Using "only" the front works great!
But it does take a bit to teach yourself to not use the rear brake...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.  Yes I was thinking used Max. I'll have to test ride the earlier ones to see if the linked braking bothers me. Ted makes a interesting suggestion in that just the front lever can be used, maybe adjusting the feel of that with the two modes. I did find an online review of a 2015 that the test rider mentioned it was much improved over the previous C14 he tested. I'll really have to try them for myself but since the subject came up I thought I'd see if anyone else had experience with both.

Actually my 93 CBR1000F had a hydro-mechanical linked braking system. It worked pretty well and wasn't too intrusive. Tricky bleeding procedure though.

thanks
Pete

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 11:26:34 PM »
I'll have to test ride the earlier ones to see if the linked braking bothers me.

That's the only way to know.  Just make sure you set them to the low mode on each bike.

Ted makes a interesting suggestion in that just the front lever can be used

I almost never use the rear brake pedal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc