Author Topic: Getting ready to take the leap...  (Read 9260 times)

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
Getting ready to take the leap...
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »
First, an introduction...

4 years ago, I turned 55 and bought my first bike.
A 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 with 6k on it.  (800cc Cruiser)
I put 20k on it the first year, including a 5200 mile trip to Nova Scotia. Now has 49k on it.
As much as I enjoy the bike, I'm looking for something more suited to touring, and the C10 seems to be the king of the "Bang for the Buck" category.

I still don't know if I can adapt to the huge change in riding position, but I'm ready to try.
One thing that has me...  "concerned" is the chance of dropping the bike and damaging the fairing, like one C10 I have looked at already.
When I bought my bike, I put crash bars on it, and they saved the bike from damage during several drops while I was learning.
I definitely want to put tip-over bars on the next bike since it's so much taller, but Murphs is not selling the rears until the Fall (now they say Winter). I haven't found any other manufacturers.

I am looking at 2 Connies:
2003 - 15k miles - Givi case - 2 windshields - tip-over bars -
2006 - 7.5k miles - No accessories or mods

Both bikes are listed for $4000

I would rather buy the 2006, but may decide on the 2003 just to get the tip-over bars.

Stupid way to make a decision?

Rick.
COG#: 9843
IBA#: 34853
"... miles to go before I sleep."

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
Re: Getting ready to take the leap...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
JMO, I'd take the 06 any day over the 03 and wait for the rear tip overs to come along. Not knowing what the prices of bikes are in the States but if these were on sale in England, I'd say either one was overpriced (the 05) or the other was underpriced (the 06). I paid £4k for my 06 back in July 09 with 12k on the clock when 05's were fetching at least £1k less.

By all means, fit the front TO's asap and farkle the 06 to how you want it.

We can't get TO's here OTP unless we get em imported from you guys but I ain't that bothered to be honest.

Maybe I'm slightly biased towards the 06  ;)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »
I'm not here to sell you anything just to throw out other options.  The highway pegs that I make are also very effective in 'lessening' the damage of a low speed drop.

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:06 AM »
Just to show there are as many opinions as there are people...

I'd take the '03 hands down.  There were no changes between '03 and '06, and the 7.5K mileage difference is irrelevant -- either bike is good for 200K+ miles... what difference does a few months worth of riding miles make.

The '03 has all the right add-ons for the same money... to me it's a no brainer.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »

I'd take the '03 hands down.  There were no changes between '03 and '06, and the 7.5K mileage difference is irrelevant -- either bike is good for 200K+ miles... what difference does a few months worth of riding miles make.

The '03 has all the right add-ons for the same money... to me it's a no brainer.
+1 I would go for the 03 myself.  Talk em down 750-1000 bucks and start riding.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
I am looking at 2 Connies:
2003 - 15k miles - Givi case - 2 windshields - tip-over bars -
2006 - 7.5k miles - No accessories or mods

Having owned both, (although the 03 didn't last me long  :( ) and assuming money is not a problem for the add-ons you want, go with whatever color you like best.  If you get the 06, get the front tip-over bars right away and install them.  They'll provide most of the protection you need until the rears are available.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

+1.  Get the bike with the add-ons, and ride it now.  The top case is handier than you think.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
Thanks for all the great input!  :D

Snarf - that's amazing... I may be interested in those - what is your website?
I had planned to use the front tipover bars for lights and pegs, but I see you have both.

About the Givi case - I agree about the convenience. The one on the 2003 is in good shape, but pretty faded. Interesting that the Kaw side cases look like new.  If I get the 2006, I will be buying a new case.

I don't know about that estimate on the tipover bar prices. On Murphs' site, they are $190 just for the front!!

One other item about the 2 bikes - both in VERY good shape, but the 2003 has had a tank bra on it for quite a while, and now has a "tan line" from the sun fading the front half.

The 2003 has a factory windshield and a taller one with a horizontal vent similar to a GW.
Rick.

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »
Photos of 2003:

Rick.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Just a quick note, if you are worrying about the mileage at all.

15k on a Connie is nothing.  Assuming no hydrolock issues, several have taken their Connies past 100k, and more than a few have over 150k miles.  I believe there are a couple of bikes around this forum with over 200k as well.

How well maintained the bikes are is important, of course.  You might ask the 15k owner how much work he has done to his, and see if he mentions doing any valve adjusts (by the maintenance schedule, he should have done that twice already, but if it's been done at least once you should be OK).  I'm guessing that since he went to the trouble of installing tip over bars he's probably spent some time under the tank.

That being said, I like my 06 'cuz of the pretty blue/gray color scheme.

Take a good look at the rubber on both bikes.  If you will be needing tires for either anytime soon, that may affect your math.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
I dont want to make this a sales thread so I sent you a pm.
2002 Conc

Offline jklhill

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
I'd take the 03. Oh wait, I already have one. It is a great color. Some say the fastest. And yes my tank looks exactly like that but the bra only comes off when I pull the tank for service. I agree with Two Skies. Look them both over real close. Ride them both for longer than around the block and then buy the won that you like the best.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
The '03 seems to have been in the sun a lot, not good for plastic bits. You can also look around and do better on the $$ especially on the '03.

Neither of these bikes have very many miles on them, makes them ripe for hydrolock issues. I would strongly recommend you read up on it, and test the bikes BEFORE you buy.

As far as Farkling, you might want to hit up an event or two to see what other folks have done. A lot of different ways to skin a cat. I do have some time/mile tested Farkles on my '99, will be at BRMC in Crusco(sp?) Sat and Sun, the 1st and 2nd, then headed over to Tsali campground at Nantahalla NF till Thurs morning, iff'n y'all wanna hook up. Come on over and put up a tent. There will be at least two Connies at BRMC, and three at Tsali. We're hanging out there for a few days till Thurs morning, then we're headed over to Barber Motorsports Park for the Vintage Festival.

And to add to what others have said, miles is really not an issue, care and maintenance is. Mine has 151,000 miles on it, compression is 185, 185, 190, 190. Uses no fluids between changes(4-6k mi). It's well looked after, I don't want it to break on a trip.

Happy hunting.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline 2dflier

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
So Rick, have to decided?  I'm in Apex also and would be interested in the one you didn't select.

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »
So Rick, have to decided?  I'm in Apex also and would be interested in the one you didn't select.

Neither of the bikes are nearby.
I'm leaving in a few minutes to check out the 2003 in Mt. Airy.
Looks like I might get a bit wet.   ;)

I'd like to go see the 2006 next week in VA.

I'll let you know.
Rick.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
If it's a good deal, it won't last!!

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
I sure hope it was a good deal, because I decided to buy the 2003!
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'll go back with the money next week and pick it up.

Now.....  gotta get hold of SISF quick and get the carbs set up the way they shoodabeen!

(emailed 2dflier about the other bike).
Rick.

Offline 2dflier

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:32 PM »
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Now.....  gotta get hold of SISF quick and get the carbs set up the way they shoodabeen!

Congrats!  Then I'm thinking about a trip to VA next week.  My email is down right now so didn't get the details but I think I know which one you were looking at.  Thanks for the note.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

SiSF will be shut down the end of the first week of October for a few days. 
goin' riding.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1924.0

Congrats on the bike!
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
Buy the 2006 as 2003 was a lemon year!  :rotflmao:
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"