Author Topic: GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »
I think that if something like that ooccurred, it would only throw down the gauntlet to the aftermarket and the enthusiasts. Let the party begin....

Agreed! But unfortunately here in Texas you have to get your car "inspected" every year to be able to register it. I could imagine them plugging into the OBD-II port to make sure you haven't changed anything.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:36 AM »
Inline units like a Power Commander will become more commonplace.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 08:02:33 AM »
It freaked me out when I took my truck to the Ford dealer and they told me i had been traveling at 98 mph at one time. I said "And?" My Mother died a long time ago, don't try to take her place.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Leo

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
There was a big stink with Dodge truck owners that bought the powerful magnum engined sporty trucks.  The customer would receive a recall notice and take it in, and later find out his truck had a top speed limiter programed in.   The root of the recall was that the company did not put high speed rated tires on a truck that could reach substantial speeds.  So instead of swapping the tires for proper ones, they just neutered the engine control software.  When the owners tried to sue, the judge threw it out stating the national speed limit is no where near 90mph.  Not much comfort for the people who spent multiple thousands extra for a performance truck.  The aftermarket places helped get the trucks performing again. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Leo

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Agreed! But unfortunately here in Texas you have to get your car "inspected" every year to be able to register it. I could imagine them plugging into the OBD-II port to make sure you haven't changed anything.

WHen I lived in Texas, I had to carry a diagnostic tester to the inspection station and clear the memory codes so the inspection station would pass my wifes car.  She only drove it a few blocks at a time and the emission equipment would fill up with miss fire and excessive rich codes.  The car ran fine when driven long enough to warm up.  Two more weeks of her "normal" use and it would be running rough when first started again.  When a person drives the car 10 times a week and does not rack up 3500 miles in a year, keeping it in tune is impossible.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
There was a big stink with Dodge truck owners that bought the powerful magnum engined sporty trucks.  The customer would receive a recall notice and take it in, and later find out his truck had a top speed limiter programed in.   The root of the recall was that the company did not put high speed rated tires on a truck that could reach substantial speeds.  So instead of swapping the tires for proper ones, they just neutered the engine control software.  When the owners tried to sue, the judge threw it out stating the national speed limit is no where near 90mph.  Not much comfort for the people who spent multiple thousands extra for a performance truck.  The aftermarket places helped get the trucks performing again.

I thought those engines were for acceleration, not driving illegal speeds.   ::)  I would rather have a lower top speed and better acceleration which is why I dropped 4.10 gears in my GMC truck. Quite a difference over the 3.42s it came with.

My '69 Goat had 4.10s and 4 speed.  Didn't go fast, but sure was quick!  Especially for an 18 year old.  Good thing I only had it for a few weeks.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
   Well..... blood pressure went through the roof when I first heard about this >:(....

Now that I've had a bit of time to cool down, other than minor maintenance, ie; oil/filter changes, brake maintenance, etc... you have to be a computer geek to diagnose running issues with vehicles anymore.

Thankfully, todays' vehicles are pretty darn reliable(for the most part anyway) & one heck of a lot more fuel efficient than vehicles from the 70's...

i'm putting a modern LS1 fuel injected engine and modern 6 speed manual vette transmission in this 70's car, I expect 25-27 MPG hwy like the modern vettes/camaros/mustangs get.....

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine