Author Topic: Calling MOB, "Man Of Blues"  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Calling MOB, "Man Of Blues"
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
From COG:
2 -Freedom of Speech does not exist here. This is a privately-owned forum and the First Amendment does not apply here. We encourage people to share their views, but it must be done considering the rule of civility. The Admin/Mods will edit, lock, or delete ANY offending threads/posts as they deem necessary. Trolling just to stir up controversy will not be tolerated.

3 –Any communications between forum administrators / moderation staff and forum subscribers/COG Members concerning moderation activities is privileged and shall not be posted into forum topics or any other social media without expressed written permission from the COG BoD. Questioning, harassing or attacking the club or club officers / forum administrators / moderation staff actions publicly may result in discipline which may include posting approval, suspension of posting privileges, or being permanently banned from the forum. Contact your Area Director or Forum Administrator if you have any questions regarding forum moderation practices or if you have a complaint.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »
 :rotflmao: Thanks Mike. I don't care who you are... that's some funny ****.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 06:44:06 PM »
From COG:

3 –Any communications between forum administrators / moderation staff and forum subscribers/COG Members concerning moderation activities is privileged and shall not be posted into forum topics or any other social media without expressed written permission from the COG BoD. Questioning, harassing or attacking the club or club officers / forum administrators / moderation staff actions publicly may result in discipline which may include posting approval, suspension of posting privileges, or being permanently banned from the forum. Contact your Area Director or Forum Administrator if you have any questions regarding forum moderation practices or if you have a complaint.

So for those with a more legal mind... The FB page has a similar rule. it would seem that neither a member NOR moderator / admin would be able to post "priviledged" communications on any social media equally. So what IF a moderator were to do this? Wouldn't it APPEAR that would also be an infraction, and if brought to the attention of the BOD, be subject to sanction, the same as any member in violation would be?

Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
So what IF a moderator were to do this? Wouldn't it APPEAR that would also be an infraction, and if brought to the attention of the BOD, be subject to sanction, the same as any member in violation would be?

Yes

I can understand wanting to punish people for disclosing private messages, especially surrounding moderation; such disclosure is most distasteful/improper.  But I would think it would (or should) work both ways.  It does seem you are implying it doesn't, didn't, and/or wouldn't in the case of COG.

It all sounds so bureaucratic.

Having never posted on, participated in, or even followed COG, I can't add any insight.  But it does sound like there is a fair amount of drama/issues based on what I see posted about them on zggtr.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 01:27:35 AM »
I assume rule 1 is that you do not talk about Fight.... er COG.  ::)
All I can say is I am happier every day about my decision to walk away from COG, it's forum, and it's Facebook group. It was starting to stink to high heaven of a "takeover" by a certain group who seemed to be able to get away with breaking the rule "Trolling just to stir up controversy will not be tolerated" whenever they wanted to. For me the final straw was the 6 month limit on forum memberships. $40 per year is no big deal, but $40 a year to support the increasingly biased and dictatorial committee,.... nah.

I think it's about time I updated my website and removed the link to COG on there as well, as I increasingly want nothing to do with the group.
I was a paid up member from around 1997 to 2010 and was active on the listserver/forum from 1993 until just recently.

If anyone manages to contact Rich, tell him we miss him.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 03:42:45 AM »

It was starting to stink to high heaven of a "takeover" by a certain group who seemed to be able to get away with breaking the rule "Trolling just to stir up controversy will not be tolerated" whenever they wanted to.

If anyone manages to contact Rich, tell him we miss him.

Well, you nailed it. "that group" was elevated to FB moderation control, and left unsupervised. Undesirables like Rich were summarily tortured and executed. False accusations were STARTED BY the moderators and ACTED ON by the same moderators. There is no method of appeal, except to the modertors who took action against you. How convenient. Upper management was not ignorant of what was happening. Apparently running an all volunteer club means sometimes you need to give the volunteers something to keep them happy, and so what if management looks the other way once in a while? Sacrifice one to keep the hyenas fed, and they won't bother the rest of the herd. Volunteers who bear a grudge for whatever reason are allowed retribution, just so long as they keep volunteering.

BTW, this was limited to the FB page, NOT the forum. I have never seen any unprofessional moderation on the forum. It's a different group of volunteers, true COG members.

I'd also like to say I've been a COG member since 2005. The people of the group are fine people like most here. The problems in COG are limited to a VERY FEW people who have power and no integrity in wielding it. Rule 3 on the FB page is a great rule to hide behind.

Rich gave much to COG over the years. Always the first to step in with technical advise, and that got alot of people riding that wouldn't have done so otherwise. But he and others became hyena fodder on the FB page. After all, a moderator is more valuable than a tech guru to the average concours owner, right? See the problem there? Jealousy. Mods work behind the scenes. Tech guys are visible and sought out. Both are needed, and have a place in the success of the group. But sometimes those who work behind the scenes dislike that they are not being acknowledged for what they do. Jealousies arise. Couple that with immaturity and downright maliciousness, and you can see the glassy - eyed stare of the hyena.

There is one simple truth. All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Sadly, in the world of volunteerism in COG Facebook, it seems good men look the other way when hyenas need to be fed.

As I stated on the COG post, when I last talked with Rich, he was dealing with a serious medical issue, and hurt by the treatment he got on COG FB. He told me he didn't want to use any valuable energy thinking about COG, it was an emotional drain and he needed his energy channeling elsewhere. I've been trying to reach him for the past week, and he's not responding. That's not good.
      Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »
I've tried {periodically} for months to contact Rick.
No replies at all. This is strange as he normally gets back in touch eventually...
This concerns me as I consider him a friend.
Prayers for Rich..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
Damn...where's that "like" button again?  :)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
That's kinda what I figured happened, and that's exactly why I don't do FB at all in any form. Miss alot? Maybe, but I doubt it, who gives a $**t in my book. OK, with all that out of the way and explained, lets drop that and move on. Be patient people, thanks for the ideas but I'm way ahead of you all.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »
I left the cog as well for the overall tone the group seemed to develop, I wasn't there long but I certainly didn't need the drama and infighting and politics. . I hope Rich is doing well, Im sure in person hes a wonderful guy (seriously) but knowledge is no excuse for bad manners and a condescending tone, either, to the point i had him 'ignored'. That was a BIG reason i came here.  I've never even looked at the FB group.   
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »
I've got people working on it, and have more than enough info to make contact, but, as I suspected, he has got to know by now people are asking, if he wanted us to know, he would have made an a appearance. I'm backing off and respecting his privacy. No news is good news for now.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
He might not. Has he logged on these sites lately?

I am sure he wouldn't mind a friendly visit/call from you.

Tell him it's from all of us wanting to know how he's doing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
Let's just all let it ride for now...  He'll contact us when he's ready.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 10:47:06 PM »
  It is a rule that governs what you can say publicly on, in or outside of club social media settings. Sanctions can be severe, there is no established method of appeal, and all sales are final.

Exactly the kind of rule Rich would have a hard time dealing with.

Please let it be known that I am not disagreeing with the the content or intent of rule 3, or any actions, real or imaginary,  that have been taken as a result of perceived violations of said rule.

Steve

Steve sounds like you been to school?

MOB told me to watch out things are changing  at COG   

I had post deleted poof go away, Big brother is watching you, be careful...

Guess that's why I did not renew

It's not the money but the control

I guess that's why I've always been a biker, because I want control and don't like

Being controlled

guess I just broke rule 3 ... too late no longer a member ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline sport rider

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2021, 08:57:27 AM »
I broke rule 3 and left!  I get a chuckle these days out of what COG has become.  it's the last bastion of those who enjoy having each other's dicks in their asses.   ;D

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »
Hahahahaha! That's a little harsh.

I always felt if you kept your question and answers strictly on the bikes themselves the mods didn't bother you. I still do think they exerted a lot of power otherwise. Even for little innocent things. Most people on there are too sensitive.

I broke rule 3 and left!  I get a chuckle these days out of what COG has become.  it's the last bastion of those who enjoy having each other's dicks in their asses.   ;D

Offline Freddy

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2023, 06:56:09 AM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:04:08 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2023, 07:20:02 AM »
RIP MOB  :'(
I have and will continue to miss your comments, insights, and knowledge.
He was always informative and involved, but often in the middle of whatever melee was going on. <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2023, 08:05:29 AM »
I am so sad to hear this. Searching tech pages and coming across his posts, I often wondered whatever happened to him. RIP MOB.

I didn't know him personally but I learned a lot from him.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2023, 06:46:31 AM »
I knew him.  He was a great guy (best curmudgeon I ever knew) along with all the others we've lost..  MG, Brian, Davo, and others that helped with other members issues :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.