Author Topic: Battery Connections  (Read 2867 times)

Offline ernie4110

Battery Connections
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
It has been almost a year since I tightened the postive and ground on the battery. Third time since new. The positive lead was tight for the first time but the negitive side to the battery was finger tight.
I would recommend checking this once a year or sooner. I only put about 3-5 thousand miles a yrar on the 14 so heavy users may have to check more ofton.

Rash
09 Conours
04 Goldwing
MSF Instructor

Offline Tremainiac

Re: Battery Connections
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
Just had to pull mine because of a lose ground. Had a no go on Sunday morning.
What a pain in the butt! The Allen heads to get to it are really shallow in depth and apparently made from cheese or butter. Pulled it and the ground was mounted flopped with the cable stretched around the long way instead of over the top, and the top cover was jammed in there completely wrong.
Was about to attempt to figure out how to reset the clock etc. when the front tire sensor declared battery low.

Soooooo... How do I get past the low battery thing to reset the clock?  :o
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Z71

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
Always remember that on this bike you need to disconnect the negative battery cable where attached to the frame first, then you pull out the battery to tighten the other connecitons.  Connect the negative cable to the frame last.

Offline gnuse

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
Add lock washers  ;)
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline michelsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »
Battery poles have fasteners attaching an L shaped bracket to the battery post. This is attached by a horizontal bolt (fastener) that is not easily visible unless the battery is lifted from the battery box. This L shaped bracket is subsequently attached to the battery cables by a vertical bolt (fastener) visible from the top of the battery. It is not enough to check that the vertical fasteners are tight; often it is the horizontal fasteners, not as easily accessible, that are loose and the source of electrical problems.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »
I'm not sure we're talking about the same bike. On mine there is only one vertical fastener securing each cable to the battery post and it is visible only from above. To access these the battery must be slid out of the compartment and the battery cover removed.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
<snip>

Soooooo... How do I get past the low battery thing to reset the clock?  :o

1) Press and hold upper button on display.
2) Press and release lower button on display.
3) Release upper button on display.

Or there's the generic answer of RTFM, but the above will get you there faster.  :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
When I went to pull my battery (first time) for winter storage I ended up drilling out 3 of the 4 allen head bolts because the heads blewout. I ordered new ones and have them staged for next spring. What is the best way to avoid having the same issue again? I considered anti-seize compound but have never used it and don't know which type would be best. Any suggestions?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Not so tight next time?  Sometimes they come from the plant and you swear a large ape with an air wrench tightened them up and sometimes his buddy forgets to tighten them up at all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Not so tight next time?  Sometimes they come from the plant and you swear a large ape with an air wrench tightened them up and sometimes his buddy forgets to tighten them up at all.

They take the average and call it good.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn