Author Topic: Went from an RT to a 12 C14  (Read 10249 times)

Offline eng943

Went from an RT to a 12 C14
« on: September 21, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
I picked up my new C14 today after selling my RT to a friend. I really had not planned on selling my RT until a freind of mine had a need to replace his RT and could not find one to his liking. Anyway, I had debated a C14 purchase a while back, and thought I'd give it a try.

I need to spend some more time on the C14 before I can make any firm declarations, but suffice it to say the RT and C14 are vastly different bikes. The RT is much more upright in it's seating position, has much better wind protection, and is loaded with features and equipment. Nicer build quality and hardware, etc, but you expect that when you step up in price.

The first thing I noticed after pulling away from the dealer is how much less fairing and windshield there is, and the more aggressive riding position. The engine seems nice and smooth, and I'm sure there is plenty of power if the RPMS are spun up, but it is new so I took it relatively easy.

Time will tell how me and the C14 get along. The RT was like a comfy pair of old jeans, so I need time to adjust. I ordered bar risers as soon as I got home, and a Cee Bailey Ultra Tour will be next. Overall, there is no disputing the C14 is a great value.

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Went from an RT to a 12 C14
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
I picked up my new C14 today after selling my RT to a friend. I really had not planned on selling my RT until a freind of mine had a need to replace his RT and could not find one to his liking. Anyway, I had debated a C14 purchase a while back, and thought I'd give it a try.

I need to spend some more time on the C14 before I can make any firm declarations, but suffice it to say the RT and C14 are vastly different bikes. The RT is much more upright in it's seating position, has much better wind protection, and is loaded with features and equipment. Nicer build quality and hardware, etc, but you expect that when you step up in price.

The first thing I noticed after pulling away from the dealer is how much less fairing and windshield there is, and the more aggressive riding position. The engine seems nice and smooth, and I'm sure there is plenty of power if the RPMS are spun up, but it is new so I took it relatively easy.

Time will tell how me and the C14 get along. The RT was like a comfy pair of old jeans, so I need time to adjust. I ordered bar risers as soon as I got home, and a Cee Bailey Ultra Tour will be next. Overall, there is no disputing the C14 is a great value.

And as you have seen there are fixes for what ails you "and still much cheaper than a BMW", and can't say I agree with the better build quality of the BMW. And why wait to spin up those RPM's, the engine is ready to go because there is no break in period. BMW's are not worth the price at all IMHO, especially when I would be worrying about when and where I would be breaking down next. Hope you get to liking it, if not I am sure you can trade it in for another Beemer. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »
Congrats E!  :chugbeer:

But...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
I did the same back in '08.  I aint looking back.  FWIW, I didn't see the differance in build quality, but I did and still do see the differance in performance.  And no, I aint a Kaw snob, I just bought an F800GS last month.  I believe in having the bike that fits the bill.  No, I aint selling Silverdammit ;D

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

And as you have seen there are fixes for what ails you "and still much cheaper than a BMW", and can't say I agree with the better build quality of the BMW. And why wait to spin up those RPM's, the engine is ready to go because there is no break in period. BMW's are not worth the price at all IMHO, especially when I would be worrying about when and where I would be breaking down next. Hope you get to liking it, if not I am sure you can trade it in for another Beemer. ;)

Six BMW's and never had any problems other than a fuel strip on my 2010 RT. I've researched this forum and others long enough to know that reliability is very difficult to measure based on internet forums and opinion and BMW's tend to be a favorite target of many. According to internet fodder, I should have gone through at least a dozen FD's. ::) I can't se how people don't notice the nicer fit and finish, or higher quality materials on the beemer vs. the Kawi. That's no slam at my C14, but it's a fact. Still, the C14 is impressive especially for it's price.   

In dollars and cents, there was about a 5-6k disparity in price between my RT and C14. That extra 5-6k got me, ESA, cruise, radio. Enough content and benefit to makeme not begrudge the price.

I'll enjoy the C14 once it is dialed in for comfort, and if not, than I think the new Triumph Trophy will be on my radar after it has been out for a couple years.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
Will BMW give you a 9 year, unlimited mileage warranty?

Offline eng943

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
Will BMW give you a 9 year, unlimited mileage warranty?

You can purchase an extended warranty, yes. How long, etc, I do not know.

Listen, let's not make this a battle of virtues between brands okay. Buy what you like, and if liking the past 6 BMW's is a crime around here, please advise. I also liked my ST1300, VStrom, and Vmax. So there's three other brands we can pin a bullseye on as well. I hate brand snobbery period.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
No snobbery. I've still got two mid 80's RS's I'll never get rid of.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »

Listen, let's not make this a battle of virtues between brands okay. Buy what you like, and if liking the past 6 BMW's is a crime around here, please advise. I also liked my ST1300, VStrom, and Vmax. So there's three other brands we can pin a bullseye on as well. I hate brand snobbery period.

Good points......but I am one who would never pay the outlandish price for a bike I just couldn't trust. Kind of hard to say internet fodder about BMW failures isn't somewhat valid, seem to be allot of ex BMW owners who say they would never own another one. Glad you had great luck with them, I am sure I wouldn't be so lucky. ::) See how you feel when and "if" you get the C14 dialed in better for "you", and I am probably one of the few that doesn't see the need for cruise on a motorcycle. The RT platform and boxer engines are too industrial for me, although very smooth and capable no doubt. I am not brand loyal to motorcycles, I am just too fond of most of them. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »

There is snobbery,  but all with a sense of humor for the most part.  Most of us have had experience with other brands or own them now.  You'll get used to it.  Hopefully you aren't a serious fellow.  If so, then oh well.  We're equal opportunity snobs in that we make fun of every brand including the C14.  ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
Making fun of the C-14?

Blasphemy!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
Unlike all those other lesser bikes/brands we have KIPASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Some of us saw the chance to buy the limited edition, vastly quicker, much easier to clean Silverdammit.  Between the color and KIPASS there will never be another bike that can approach the awesomeness of the '08.  Besides, we spend less time washing and more time riding ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
Unlike all those other lesser bikes/brands we have KIPASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Some of us saw the chance to buy the limited edition, vastly quicker, much easier to clean Silverdammit.  Between the color and KIPASS there will never be another bike that can approach the awesomeness of the '08.  Besides, we spend less time washing and more time riding ;D

True....09 introduced that hideous black abomination. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »

True....09 introduced that hideous black abomination. ::)

:yikes:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »

:yikes:

Looks like the truth hurts ::)

Offline pistole

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
ouch !

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
sorry if I steer this very interesting discussion about silverdammit C14s back to the OP (refer to my signature for a taste of my opinion about it), but I too came from an RT when buying the Concours, and I agree that they are completely different bikes. One is a comfortable, well built bike with nice features, with an engine with the charm of mad cow decease. The other one is a sportier proposition, with way more power and smoothness. It's almost as well built and costs way less, even after farkling it up to RT levels.
I say "almost as well built" because of the nasty habit of Japanese bikes of piling panel on panel on panel, while BMWs try always to fix their panels to solid frame mounting, which makes them somehow easier to pop out and give a more solid feeling, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:42:45 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
Guess you can add me to the former RT owners club. I had a RT-P, which is the Police version....just a foot note here, many departments are going to the Connie over the RT. I really liked the Beemer, to echo what's been said already, comfort, smoothness, very reliable. The thing that convinced me to sell it was the cost of keeping it. I had a gas leak, which I later found out is not uncommon for these bikes. The fuel line coming out of the tank connects to the fuel rail either by quick-disconnects, which are made of plastic and crack, or clamps. After I fixed the problem, I started checking around and found that the only place locally that will work on them is the stealership....not one independent. I do most of the work on my bikes, but if I run into a problem, better grab the ankles because it won't be cheap, not just the labor but the parts as well. I also have a Hayabusa, so the power was definately a plus for the 14. I've only had the Concours for about a month, but I like it more and more....plus there aren't that many around here, so the attention is nice as well. ;) As for me, I definately made the right choice, but I will always have a soft spot for my RT....   

Offline eng943

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
sorry if I steer this very interesting discussion about silverdammit C14s back to the OP (refer to my signature for a taste of my opinion about it), but I too came from an RT when buying the Concours, and I agree that they are completely different bikes. One is a comfortable, well built bike with nice features, with an engine with the charm of mad cow decease. The other one is a sportier proposition, with way more power and smoothness. It's almost as well built and costs way more, even after farkling it up to RT levels.
I say "almost as well built" because of the nasty habit of Japanese bikes of piling panel on panel on panel, while BMWs try always to fix their panels to solid frame mounting, which makes them somehow easier to pop out and give a more solid feeling, IMO.

I just waxed my connie and the creak creak creak of the plastic panels reaffirmed my observations that my RT was better built.

Anyhow, I will say the more I ride the connie the more I like it! The fuel mapping is spot on, the engine is nice and smooth, but honestly does not feel as strong as my K1300GT did for roll ons. I love how nicely the driveline works, and lacks the lash I have noticed on other machines.

I talked to a couple CHP guys about the move to the C14 incidentally, and they seem to like the bike, although they maintain that they preffered their RT's for comfort and handling.     

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
You can reflash the ecu or remove the secondary flies to improve the rollon torque.