Author Topic: Suzuki DR650SE  (Read 3820 times)

Offline TJ

Suzuki DR650SE
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
Anyone here have one? Likes or dislikes? Looking to buy another bike for adventure riding.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Son of Pappy

Re: Suzuki DR650SE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Bullet proof bike, great as a gateway bike for sure.  My gateway was my recently departed KLR.  Once the DS/ADV hook is set?  IMO there are two choices for a full on ADV bike that is used off road consistantly and yet maintain good road manners.  The KTM 990 for those who seek made power and the F800GS (/A) for steady, reliable going.  They all do good things, but always be aware that a DS is a bike about compromise, regardless of what they say.

Offline cugsy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »
TJ - I have the older DR650 rse. Its a 1993 model with electric start. Its a bit heavy for proper off -roading. I need to get to my house down 1/2 miles of dirt track and its been fine in all weathers...even a bit of snow. it did crash in thick fog though - it couldn't see where I wanted to go.
  Its a tough old bike and sits at 65-70 for hours and gives me 50mpg on average. Servicing is a doddle. To be honest, I wouldn't buy the newer one if I had to replace it. My choice would be the Yamaha XT660. Thats a Dakar bike. John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
Love my my 2001 DR650SE. Just did an outstanding adventure ride on it. It is a simple rugged bike. I call it my 2 wheeled jeep. It does need a few things to make it a proper adventure bike. Bigger gas tank, better seat and some racks for panniers and luggage. I have a 5 gal IMS tank, Corbin seat and some cheesy racks that broke on this trip. I would recommend the Happy Trails SU racks and will be ordering a set soon. My son has them on his KLR. I also have a small tomb stone type wind shield that helps a lot on road.

My DR next to my son's KLR:

All loaded up and ready to go:

Offline TJ

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »
Owned a KLR before, nice rides but this time around plan is to stay with something lighter and less complicated. The 650 is air cooled so one less thing to worry about.
Tons of nice adventure bikes but don't want to go above $6k so that rules out most everything except the KLR and DR650. Plan on watching the sales and will most likely pick one up in the off season.

Rhino,
Love the ammo cans! Cheap, strong, waterproof, what a great idea.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Rhino,
Love the ammo cans! Cheap, strong, waterproof, what a great idea.

Yup! Plus they double as camp stool and table.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
The differance between a DR, KLR, and BMW owner?  Cheap, Frugal, and Broke ;)  But they be riding the roads less traveled, as Rhino and I can attest to, trying to meetup can be a challenge, time has almost no meaning as the adventure is in charge of the time table and there is just so much to see 8)

Offline TJ

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
Colorado is starting to grow on me:) Drove up to Cripple Creek last week and seen a ton of dirt roads and Adventure bikes and thought its about time to add a second play bike to the stable. Just need to ease into this new DR650 easily to keep the wife happy!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:33:49 AM »
I'm very happy with my '07 DR. I started out wanting the DRZ and then the WR250R, both great bikes
but my legs are just too short for either when it comes time to stop and get off. Had my DR out in Big Bend, and
a few months later I went to Utah and did the White Rim trail counter clockwise. It was rough along the river in the sand but
the bike took a pounding and then climbed up the Shafer trail like it was no big deal. There are some known
problems with the bike, most of them have easy fixes. The neutral safety switch bolts needs safety wiring or Locktite
(red, yes I said red.) The upper chain roller needs to be removed and the hole plugged
with an Allen head screw. Go to DRRiders.com for an excellent source of info.

http://drriders.com/topic8417.html#p91474

http://drriders.com/topic5216-140.html#p69727

Offline cugsy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »
To be honest, we don't get the chance to do big trail riding in the UK. Too many rules and land owners and you have to belong to a Trail Riders club to be eligible to ride off road. Either some jobsworth in a uniform will turn up and impound (maybe crush) your toy or some upper class twit with a double barrel will 'send you on your way...damn blighter..etc' .  In and out of the forest doesn't do it for me. I wish I could get out on those big mountain trails y'all got.   :'(
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »
Had an 05 for 4 years, great dead reliable bikes.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey