Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727100 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2960 on: December 25, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
This is all true, the system as is is not sustainable but this is what I was guarantied when I started my employment as a civil servant with the state back in 1984. All of this is written into the state's constitution and our benefits can not be diminished. They tried that and failed.

The biggest problem with the SURS system is that in the past governors of our great state illegally 'borrowed' money for pet projects from SURS coffers with a promise to repay those funds and then, guess what? Never did. If the system wasn't mismanaged by our state politicians it certainly wouldn't be the mess it is today.   

Which tells us we don't have politicians in prison.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2961 on: December 25, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »
I do not think spouse's SS benefits are in any way related while both are still alive. There is a provision which allows the survivor of a couple to draw either one of the two amounts though, and the way it <usually> works is that the male's amount is larger, and the male <usually> is survived by his spouse, so the female usually chooses to draw 'his' amount rather than 'her' amount. This was put into place back in the days when many or most females did NOT work or work long enough (forty 'quarters', or 10 full years in a lifetime to be vested in S.S.) to have a pension, or at least a livable amount. So the idea was a widow could take over her spouse's pension after he had died.

Brian

Yes! And guess what? My wife is also in this system, she retires 7/1/2018. What she will receive for her pension is unrelated to what I receive. I believe with SS the two amounts are somewhat related? She wont be maxing out her pension as I did (80%) but she's close.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2962 on: December 25, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »
Everyone drink responsibly.....whilst anyone is looking. :chugbeer:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2963 on: December 25, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »
You mean without dribbling, right?

Brian

Everyone drink responsibly.....whilst anyone is looking. :chugbeer:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2964 on: December 27, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Donald Hornig was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1920, was awarded a Ph.D. in chemistry at the age of 23, in 1943, with a dissertation on 'An Investigation of the Shock Wave Produced by an Explosion in Air.'. He went to work at the explosives laboratory of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution right out of Harvard. Shortly after getting to W.H.O.I., he was offered a job but was not told what the job would entail or even where it would be located. Initially, he refused but was persuaded to rethink this decision after being told his country needed his particular skills. At which point, he joined the Manhattan District Engineers and went to work on designing the explosive 'lenses' for the plutonium bombs, 'The Gadget' and 'Fat Man'. He was present at the Trinity test in Nevada, when The Gadget was successfully tested and in fact had been sent up to the top of the tower the device was sitting on by a nervous J. Robert Oppenheimer to check on the device.... twice. Mr. Hornig would go on to have a very successful career, including being both President and Dean at Brown University, and later to chair the chemistry dept. of Princeton University.

When Mr. Hornig died in Providence, RI, on 21 January, 2013 at the age of 92, he was the last surviving witness of the Trinity test in 1945, the world's first atomic bomb.

But what may be more interesting is that when he went to Los Alamos, he was accompanied by the woman he had married that same year, Lilli Hornig, and she approached the personnel dept. of Los Alamos with the thought of gaining employment there. She was asked how many words per minute she could type, to which she answered that she could not type at all. But she did have a degree in chemistry and significant scientific skills in her own right and was eventually given a job working on plutonium chemistry. This was later changed and she worked on the explosive lenses used in the plutonium bombs. And this makes Mrs. Hornig one of a very small group; of the approx. 400 scientists working at the top levels of The Manhattan Project, only 10 were women. Mrs. Hornig went on to earn her own Ph.D. from Harvard in 1950, and then go on to become a chemistry professor at Brown, as well as the chairwoman of chemistry dept. of Trinity College. She would also go on to author three books: Climbing the Academic Ladder: Doctoral Women Scientists in Academe, Equal Rites, Unequal Outcomes: Women in American Research Universities, and Women Scientists in Industry and Government: How Much Progress in the 1970s. She would remain married to Donald Hornig for nearly 50 years until his death, and they would have four children together.

Not too shabby for a women who had escaped Berlin after the Nazis took control of that country in 1933.

Lilli Hornig died this past November 2017, the 21st, in Providence, RI, at the age of 96.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2965 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:56 AM »
Minus 17 this morning here. That's 17f degrees below zero!

Wind chill? 35 below zero.    :_shudder_Emoticon

The poor animals! 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2966 on: January 02, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »
Every freakin deer in the woods was out on the move at 4 this morning.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2967 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
8F here this morning but 0F yesterday..... when my water meter froze solid, and it is located in the cellar! Seems the folks removed some insulation when they put the new electrical service in and it was pouring cold air down the corner of the cellar, right onto the top of the water meter. So no water in the house yesterday morning, followed by a huge leak once I thawed the meter. Water co. was here w/in 2 hours to replace it so all is well. I reinstalled insulation, plus wrapped the meter with heat tape and insulated IT as well as burying a remote thermometer sender on top of the meter so I can see its temp. in the future.

I loaded the trailer with firewood and put it on the front porch yesterday and it looks like I will not have enough seasoned wood to last this winter. I am just pouring through the stuff. Coldest winter on record here and of course it happens to coincide with the time the house is partially open during construction :-(   Oh, well, it is still great to have first- world problems so in the end, nothing to whine about really.

Brian

Wind chill? 35 below zero.    :_shudder_Emoticon

The poor animals!

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2968 on: January 02, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
8F here this morning but 0F yesterday..... when my water meter froze solid, and it is located in the cellar! Seems the folks removed some insulation when they put the new electrical service in and it was pouring cold air down the corner of the cellar, right onto the top of the water meter. So no water in the house yesterday morning, followed by a huge leak once I thawed the meter. Water co. was here w/in 2 hours to replace it so all is well. I reinstalled insulation, plus wrapped the meter with heat tape and insulated IT as well as burying a remote thermometer sender on top of the meter so I can see its temp. in the future.

I loaded the trailer with firewood and put it on the front porch yesterday and it looks like I will not have enough seasoned wood to last this winter. I am just pouring through the stuff. Coldest winter on record here and of course it happens to coincide with the time the house is partially open during construction :-(   Oh, well, it is still great to have first- world problems so in the end, nothing to whine about really.

Brian

46F this morning in Modesto, CA.  Think I’ll take my Connie out for a ride today!  :banana
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2969 on: January 02, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »

And I thought I was going to complain about bicycling to work in +17F this morning....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2970 on: January 02, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
46F this morning in Modesto, CA.  Think I’ll take my Connie out for a ride today!  :banana

:cannon: :1DeadBanana
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #2971 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »
:cannon: :1DeadBanana

Perfect response!  It was an easy shot, so I took it.  :rotflmao:

I lived in Connecticut for four years once upon a time.  I despised those winters.  I don’t know how you do it, but you have my respect.   :chugbeer:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2972 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
I lived in Connecticut Chicago for four years too many decades once upon a time.  I despised those winters.
Modified your post Snake, to fit me. Whenever I hear someone leaving California or some other warm place to go back into the cold country
and they say something like "I missed the changing of the seasons."  I think to myself that what they really missed, was the line for brains.  :nuts:

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2973 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
I miss the snow. I want to move back to Portland.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #2974 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »
Thought I'd add a little something to make y'all feel warmer...

Here it was -32C yesterday morning, with the wind chill taking that down to about -41C.

F and C readings meet at -40, so no conversion necessary...

Jamie (in cold Canada)
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2975 on: January 03, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Thought I'd add a little something to make y'all feel warmer...

Here it was -32C yesterday morning, with the wind chill taking that down to about -41C.

F and C readings meet at -40, so no conversion necessary...

Jamie (in cold Canada)

You are all just insane to live there!  That's all I can say!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2976 on: January 04, 2018, 05:05:31 AM »
brutal!

Detailed Forecast

Today   Sunny and cold, with a high near 7. Wind chill values as low as -25. North northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
Tonight  Mostly clear, with a low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -24. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Friday  Sunny and cold, with a high near 5. Wind chill values as low as -25. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night  Mostly clear, with a low around -11. Wind chill values as low as -23. North northwest wind around 5 mph.

Saturday  Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 9. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Saturday Night  A 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Sunday  Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunday Night  Snow likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 22.

Monday  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.
Monday Night  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Tuesday  Mostly sunny, with a high near 24.
Tuesday Night  Partly cloudy, with a low around 7.

Wednesday  Partly sunny, with a high near 24.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2977 on: January 04, 2018, 05:10:10 AM »
Still got your sleds, C? be careful out there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2978 on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:51 AM »
Still got your sleds, C? be careful out there.

No sleds. I sold both of them along with the trailer a couple of years ago. There just wasn't enough snow in my area to make them worthwhile and I got tired of hauling them up north just to use them.

[smg id=429]

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2979 on: January 04, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »
brutal!

Detailed Forecast

Today   Sunny and cold, with a high near 7. Wind chill values as low as -25. North northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
Tonight  Mostly clear, with a low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -24. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

{snip}

Get out there and concours those conditions!

Seriously, I don't know how anybody can stand that. Here in FL right now at 10 am wind chill is 22 and even that is enough to ruin my day. Makes me wanna lay in bed all day and night with the electric blanket on, which is just not my thang; I like to do stuff!