Author Topic: Has anybody tried to install GoldWing vent into Cee Bailey shield with NACA?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline lprising

Hello All,

My CB shield has a NACA vent in it, but I want to replace it with a GoldWing vent - by installing the vent right where the cutout is in the windshield.

Has anybody tried it? Did it work?

(I have asked CB of their opinion on this, and I received a reply saying that they would not recommend it, because the curvature of the windshield is much different from that of the GW vent. I also heard that the thickness of the CB shield may be an issue as well).

Any input is appreciated.

Las

Offline toojeep4u

Not sure about if it will fit or not, just had a quick question as to where you get the Goldwing vent, mine broke on my shield.
Tori '01

Offline lprising

OK, I found it: I got it from http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/563_vents/3916_factory_oem_honda_gl1800_windshield_air_vent/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F563_goldwing_vents%2Fdes%2F

(it has been waiting to be instaleld for about a year now... :-\ ).

If the verdict says it won't fit, I will have to try to sell it.

Thanks,

Las

Offline toojeep4u

Ouch!  50 bucks.  Winter may force me to get it though.  Thank you Las.
Tori '01

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
I just stick a piece of water pipe insulation foam in the NACA vent, quite sophisticated.

Depending on what broke in the Wing vent, they can be MacGivered. I used a small(red plastic insulation) electrical screw/crimp connector riveted near the area to replace the engagement peg that broke off. It worked fine for several years till I sold the shield.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
My CB shield has a NACA vent in it, but I want to replace it with a GoldWing vent - by installing the vent right where the cutout is in the windshield.  Has anybody tried it? Did it work?

It doesn't seem like your question has been answered.  Maybe with my attachment you can find out yourself.  I have mounted the vent in my CB windshield but I did not already have the vent.  The opening should be about 1/16" SMALLER all the way around the cut-out provided below.  This is a rubbing from a GW at my local shop.  You can then adjust it to fit exact.  The cut-out will let you know if the indent is too much where CB pushes the vent cut-out inward.  This seems to be kind of random  from CB.  The thickness of the shield is fine (at least mine was).  CB should probably just sell it with this as an option.

On a side note, I bought all of the parts individually from my local dealer for about $35 - $37 dollars if I remember right.  You don't have to buy a kit.  The nuts were way to expensive and I probably already had some at home that would work.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline lprising

Thanks a lot! It answered my questions pretty much. As for the cutout's inward indent, I guess I will have to have a close look with the template laid against the ws...

(I remembered these pictures from the "old" forum, but then they seem to have evaporated when the system went down some time ago.)

Thanks again!

Las

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
You're welcome.  My bike is an '87, you may determine that you want to put the vent higher or lower depending on preference, early or late model bike, and any gadgets you have on the dash.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline lprising

... you may determine that you want to put the vent higher or lower depending on preference, early or late model bike, and any gadgets you have on the dash.

Actually, I think for the location I am limited by the existing NACA vent - I cannot go any higher than its top edge, because of the "flap" that is bent inward...

Thx again,

Las