Author Topic: Handling on a reasonable budget  (Read 20326 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Re: Handling on a reasonable budget
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I have 75k miles on stock suspension and I have done multiple track days and would love to have a better performing suspension.  I know nothing about suspension and I have very very little money but I am going to do the front first and then as money allows I will do the rear.  So my question is should I do the Traxxion kit or send to GP or what?  The Traxxion seems rather pricey when I looked at there website... The GP that was listed here cost under $400 compared to over $1k for the Traxxion why such a huge difference?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and advice,

-Kirk

Offline jsa

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
I have 75k miles on stock suspension and I have done multiple track days and would love to have a better performing suspension.  I know nothing about suspension and I have very very little money but I am going to do the front first and then as money allows I will do the rear.  So my question is should I do the Traxxion kit or send to GP or what?  The Traxxion seems rather pricey when I looked at there website... The GP that was listed here cost under $400 compared to over $1k for the Traxxion why such a huge difference?

The GP upgrade is a spring replacement and re-valving but you keep the original configuration for adjusting ride height and rebound damping.  The Traxxion AK-20 kit is a complete replacement of the springs, cartridge, damping rod, and damping pistons.  When it is complete you will have rebound damping adjustment on one fork and compression damping adjustment on the other.  You will also have the flexibility to transfer the AK-20s to another C14 or even another bike (after some modifications).  Another option is to replace the entire forks with ZX-14 forks which are surprisingly affordable on eBay.  However, if your C14 has ABS the left ZX-14 fork will have to be modified to accept the ABS sensor.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
The GP upgrade is a spring replacement and re-valving but you keep the original configuration for adjusting ride height and rebound damping.  The Traxxion AK-20 kit is a complete replacement of the springs, cartridge, damping rod, and damping pistons.  When it is complete you will have rebound damping adjustment on one fork and compression damping adjustment on the other.  You will also have the flexibility to transfer the AK-20s to another C14 or even another bike (after some modifications).  Another option is to replace the entire forks with ZX-14 forks which are surprisingly affordable on eBay.  However, if your C14 has ABS the left ZX-14 fork will have to be modified to accept the ABS sensor.

Yes I have ABS, how difficult is it to modified?  If I went that route I could keep riding while I rebuilt the ZX14 forks then sell my stock ones...

Offline jsa

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Yes I have ABS, how difficult is it to modified?  If I went that route I could keep riding while I rebuilt the ZX14 forks then sell my stock ones...

Modification is drilling a hole identical to the one you already have, just unbolt your ABS sensor and look at it.  The 09 takes a 18mm drill but an 08 may be different.  You need to use a drill press, I would not try it free hand.  I put 1.0 kg springs in mine, my riding partner is happy the stock .90 springs.  I'm saving my old forks to sell with bike and transfer these forks to next C14.

Offline texrider

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Looks like they show a kit for the gen 1 bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.