Author Topic: Descendants of America's Aviation Pioneers.......  (Read 4500 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Descendants of America's Aviation Pioneers.......
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
I got goosebumps when I read this, but then again I'm such a sentimental softie when it comes to this stuff.  It will be televised on PBS at some point over the next few months..

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/22/4581880/descendants-of-americas-aviation.html
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Descendants of America's Aviation Pioneers.......
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
Be interesting to see a 19 year old Marilyn Monroe.

Last week the only flying B29 'FiFi' flew over my house at about 500 feet on it's approach to the local airport for an overnight stay on it's way back to Texas. AWESOME!
http://www.cafb29b24.org/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »
I was just thinking the other day what a beautiful aircraft the 707 was and still is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
I was just thinking the other day what a beautiful aircraft the 707 was and still is.

Yeah, today's big engines just don't have the right proportions to replicate the elegance of the 707.

Offline yoman

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
I had the pleasure of flying in the Collings Foundation's B-24 Liberator, Witchcraft. It was such an  awesome airplane. Those big round engines are a work of art.

http://i-ota.net/B-24Witchcraft/
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Hammer

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
yoman, I also had the pleasure of flying in the B-24 a couple of years back while they were in Dallas.  They also had a P-51 Mustang on the line, and I jokingly asked how much to ride in that.  (I didn’t realize at the time it was a fully modified razorback model with a second cockpit behind the pilot)

They told me the price, and I jumped at the chance for a ride.  After we cleared Love field airspace, he asked if I would like to fly her. I had the controls for about 10 minutes and the pilot asked if I got sick on roller coasters.  I told him no, and he reminded me I was in million dollar aircraft, and he would not be happy if I re-decorated it.  He took the controls, and for the next 15 minutes we did a series of rolls and loops. 

He let me fly it back to the field, and he made a perfect landing.  Best day of my life.

Offline yoman

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Did I mention that the pilot was a smokin' hot Swede. ;)
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
Here's a pic of my WWII jeep (1945 Ford GPW) in front of a B-17G.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
I'm a distant relative of Howard Hughes... real distant... as in no money... LOL!!!  :o

Anyway, he helped design and finance the Boeing Stratoliner and the Lockheed Constellation, which he purchased for TWA.

If you ever get a chance to spend a couple of days in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, do it... so much to see!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
Yeah, today's big engines just don't have the right proportions to replicate the elegance of the 707.

Perhaps.  But high bypass turbofans are a hell of a lot more efficient.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
I like the lines of the early B-52's (D) vs the new ones (H).  The new ones have all these bumps and lumps.  The older ones have very clean lines.  I like the older ones better.  They aren't as efficient but to me are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.