Author Topic: Starting to acquire camping gear  (Read 9165 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Starting to acquire camping gear
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 06:09:02 AM »
I don't have one, but these look good for MC Camping

http://www.luxurylite.com/

That has got to be one of the cheeziest websites I have seen in a long time.  Doesn't seem like something professional or associated with Thermarest at all even though they use the Thermarest name.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
I prefer places that already include the amenities and re
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »
Since this is a camping thread, how does one make coffee without electricity?  I've been looking at coffee pots (old style) and I can't figure out how it's made without getting all the grounds in the coffee itself.  This is important to me as I may be doing this the old fashioned way within 48 hours.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
I use a French Press and just boil water.   :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
French?  Oh the humanity... :'(   I don't even know what one of those are...  Ok, I just looked it up....seems a bit yuppish to me (no harm intended), but essential to someone extracting the essence from the coffee bean.  I think I may try that but not at the moment.  In looking up the French press I see the more normal percolating coffee pot...  I may go look for one of those this evening but I do like your idea.  I'll have to invest in a hand grinder as well.  I'm just looking for something that will work when the power goes poof.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
For coffee, I use a Ready Set Joe from Melitta. Simple, frugal, and makes good coffee.

Melitta Ready Set Joe

Cool tunes on the video, eh?

I picked up my Ready Set Joe at the local Publix market.

I tried the French Press route. It requires quite coarse beans, and was kind of a hassle to clean. Good coffee, though.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »
Since this is a camping thread, how does one make coffee without electricity?  I've been looking at coffee pots (old style) and I can't figure out how it's made without getting all the grounds in the coffee itself.  This is important to me as I may be doing this the old fashioned way within 48 hours.
I've got a stove top perculator type pot. It can be used on a grill or camp fire. It's full size so not bike packable but is great for no power. I've heard of but not tried cracking an egg into a pot of cowboy coffee to settle the grounds.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »

I just carry freeze dried coffee in handy packets.  If I am in a hurry I just mix it with my oatmeal.  Coffee flavored oatmeal.  Mmm!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 09:26:47 PM »
Looks pretty darn good, actually.  But I would need 2.  In this case, power might be leaving before I could have one on hand so I went to Gander Mtn in F'burg and bought one of those percolating pots.  Everyone else was buying batteries, flash lights, and emergency gear...  I went for the pot. ::) :-X

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
Everyone else was buying batteries, flash lights, and emergency gear...  I went for the pot. ::) :-X

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »
Looks pretty darn good, actually.  But I would need 2.  In this case, power might be leaving before I could have one on hand so I went to Gander Mtn in F'burg and bought one of those percolating pots.  Everyone else was buying batteries, flash lights, and emergency gear...  I went for the pot. ::) :-X

I lived around the Gulf Coast most of my life (Houston, Pensacola, Tampa), we always had a hurricane kit...  even living up here, I still have Coleman stove with 2 lanterns, waterproof matches, candles, 2 gallons of fuel at all times, 2 cases of water, and we keep 2 weeks worth of canned goods in the pantry with a manual can opener.  I ALWAYS have extra bags of coffee and my press.  8) 

Good to see you went for the most important stuff... the, uh... pot.  8)
Rob

Offline booger

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 04:43:22 AM »
Guys, I won't even go to the grocery store without a handgun.  I would think it a must for a 1-2 month ride.

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
Guys, I won't even go to the grocery store without a handgun.  I would think it a must for a 1-2 month ride.

Yep if you were gonna just be in the lower 48, but then if you wanna ride to AK....you gotta deal with Canada and it's NO PISTOLS border restriction......

Wadda-do?   Strap on the shotgun?
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
That would look pretty neat...over the back or with one of those horsey type scabbards you have on the side?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
I kind of like this.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
A bit, for sure.  Nice setup!