Author Topic: Concerned  (Read 9179 times)

Son of Pappy

Concerned
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »
So, I took a peak at current stats after I had a feeling things are slowing down on the forum.  Numbers confirmed what I felt.  We need to figure out what we need to do to continue our growth as a forum, new members, more technical info, more something to keep the forum as a healthy, growing place.  I'd venture for a club, but that isn't the answer.  A small bit should be treating our newer members with a bit more concern.  Throwing them under the search bus or rudely asking for bike year isn't showing them our nature as a whole.
This year alone we have had threads that in the past woulda lasted 1 post before being moved to the Arena.  Speaking of the Arena, it has become almost as tame as the Open forum.
This forum has become a virtual family, something I applaud, I just want to see it continue to grow so I can make more friends.

Lets do a member drive, it costs no $$, and we are sure to bring in some new characters with new ideas.

We also have several members who have the technical expertise, and I bet they would happily assume some kind of technical role, 2 come to my mind, we just need to support them and I believe they would do a great job for the simple appreciation we would heap upon them.

Come on guys/gals, lets continue to grow, this is the best ZG forum on the net, lets continue to prove it.

Chet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Concerned
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Well, I certainly recommend us to anyone I happen upon riding a C10 or C14.  Maybe I need to get some cheap business cards made?  We do have quite a few members on paper but quite a few are lurkers.  The tone of this forum is different from the others out there so I would think that would have to suit any potential members.  Short of doing a DOS attack on the other forums (it worked for awhile on the UK forum...I rather liked them sharing with us), I really don't know what we could do.   A Google search on C14 yields nothing.  Concours 1400 yields us as the first forum to show up whilst Concours and ZG1000 yields the other crew.

Also, this might get more traction in Open...up to you if you want it moved.  Only cost is a beer..just sayin...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
Shift to Open works for me!  How does a Coors Light sound ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Well, it's what I have in the fridge at the very moment and now that you've mentioned it, I think I'll have one on us...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
Maybe a lawsuit? We don't want the URL concours.org...
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
I agree.  I like that url that we have.  They probably should update the graphics with a 10+ model, though, as part of the progression of bikes.  I don't think that I've been to that particular page in a couple of years.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:43:59 AM »
Snip...

How does a Coors Light sound ;)

Better than it tastes...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
Better than it tastes...

*DING*   ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

K-woppa

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
I am a relatively new member here. First, I want to say that I think this forum is exceptional. The technical content and level of interaction among members is great. However...

When I first joined a few months back I immediately searched for the introduction section, but couldn't find one, so, my first post was showing pics of the Connie I had just picked up in the "Show pics of your bike" section. I also asked a question about gifs in the forum profile info. I got no reply, which isn't surprising, since a thread like that is mostly for looking, not responding.

The bottom line, though, is that my early attempts at posting left me with the impression that this forum is slow to warm up to new members, so I lost interest for a while and and went back to being active on another motorcycle forum I belong to. If you want to reach out to new members, then you need an introduction section, where a new member can start a thread introducing himself to the forum, giving whatever info he feels is pertinent (location, occupation, how many years riding, whatever) and existing members can reply.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
Well said K-woppa!!  Jim, care to look into starting a new members section??

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Couldn't hurt to send an automated e-mail welcome when someone signs up with pointers to specific areas of interest for new users.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
I am a relatively new member here. First, I want to say that I think this forum is exceptional. The technical content and level of interaction among members is great. However...

When I first joined a few months back I immediately searched for the introduction section, but couldn't find one, so, my first post was showing pics of the Connie I had just picked up in the "Show pics of your bike" section. I also asked a question about gifs in the forum profile info. I got no reply, which isn't surprising, since a thread like that is mostly for looking, not responding.

The bottom line, though, is that my early attempts at posting left me with the impression that this forum is slow to warm up to new members, so I lost interest for a while and and went back to being active on another motorcycle forum I belong to. If you want to reach out to new members, then you need an introduction section, where a new member can start a thread introducing himself to the forum, giving whatever info he feels is pertinent (location, occupation, how many years riding, whatever) and existing members can reply.

Excellent suggestion...

Well said K-woppa!!  Jim, care to look into starting a new members section??

On it...stay tuned..

Couldn't hurt to send an automated e-mail welcome when someone signs up with pointers to specific areas of interest for new users.

I've actually had some brief thoughts on just that subject...but then some shiny thing came along....and oh well.    I'll have a Coors and think about it some more, at least until my brane starts to hurt.

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »

+1.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
We need to be sure and invite everyone to the Arena. Maybe the first 30 days free?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
On it...stay tuned..

maybe morph it with the faces thread Sparky, that way we can get a look at their mug too...  ;D :chugbeer:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
One step at a time...  I'll have the new board up by tomorrow morning.

By the way, I'm open to suggestions for anything here except for trying new beers or flavored coffees  :_shudder_Emoticon

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

By the way, I'm open to suggestions for anything here except for trying new beers or flavored coffees  :_shudder_Emoticon

I think we should have a section called "the lounge" or something that is for posting things frowned upon in the regular sections, non-filtered though if you will...  ;)

Kinda like why we have the arena but this would be a non-political based place, more just folks discussing things without having to worry about language or riskay pics etc...
 ;) :-\ :) :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:53:02 PM by ZG »

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 04:15:10 AM »
We need to be sure and invite everyone to the Arena. Maybe the first 30 days free?

what's the arena?  ???

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
It's kind of like Purgatory for unacceptable threads. Been real quiet lately but has been known for some lively discussions. You'll have to ask the guy swinging the sword how to get an invite.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »

Welcome and that is a great suggestion!

Also, I applaud your powers of observation.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn