Author Topic: The best Harley ad ever made !!!  (Read 9239 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: The best Harley ad ever made !!!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
No no, I appreciate your being honest and direct. And in the context you put your thoughts, I believe you are right. A lot of newer pistols have put practices into place that I think are dangerous and absolutely do NOT apply to handguns in general; the best example is pulling the trigger of any pistol to drop the hammer and make it ready to carry but not discharge. A truly bad idea that sets up someone for a big surprise when meeting other pistols that ARE NOT like that, as all of them used to be.

I would also agree that it is not a particularly friendly pistol to newbies, people with small hands, or perhaps smaller people in general, at least in the usually found caliber (.45 ACP). It is a bit kinder in .38 Super I think and especially 9 mm but those are not the more common calibers for this particular piece.

As I said before, a Glock is hard to beat in pure function; rack the slide and pull the trigger when needed. Otherwise the pistol is ready to fire but still in a safe condition.

I am more of an auto- loader kinda' guy myself but many years ago Elmer Keith made a list of reasons why revolvers (modern double action revolvers) were better in virtually every way than autoloaders and it was so well thought out and reasonable as well as really quite accurate that I found myself persuaded. One of the points he addressed was the inherent safety of a DA revolver in that it has no 'modes' or 'conditions': it is always ready to fire, does not have nor does it need a mechanical safety (a heavy and long trigger pull is sufficient) and its condition can be determined by anyone quickly (loaded or not, cocked or not). He especially recommended them to those new to firearms and those who had casual usage of them such as most LEO's who are really not firearms enthusiasts. So given what you have said, and what Keith said so long ago, I really do understand the points and believe they probably are quite valid. More complex auto loaders such as a 1911, a Luger, a P-38 and a host of others are more demanding and require more attention and care to handle safely.

And my condolences on your job: I would have to grow eyes in the back of my head to deal with new students and autoloaders. :-)  I used to be a competitive pistol shooter but those folks were all veterans and safety was really not much of a problem.

Brian

Very well put Brian. Now I will explain my comment. Personally I don't have a problem with the 1911. But being a firearms instructor for the past 20+ years has given me a whole new prospective on the topic. In the right hands the 1911 is a fine weapon with superb accuracy. However in the hands of an amateur they are one of the if not the most dangerous weapon out there. I cannot tell you how many students show up at my concealed handgun classes with a 1911, not because that's what they need, but rather because one of their friends told them that that was what they needed. A 1911 in the hands of someone who has no idea what the buttons and switches are for is probably the worst scenario I can think of. And most of them also do not realize that when you drop the slide the gun is ready to rock & roll, but they never give a second thought to the gun being safe. Pardon me for being so blunt but I have seen some very scary stuff at those CHL classes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »
In October I rode one for the first time in my life, an Ultra Classic.  Rode it for 9 days in the TN/KY hills around Ft Campbell.  2 things good to report.  The stereo is awesome and the trunk is massive.  IOW, the bike is not for me, under performing in all aspects, uncomfortable for me, poor braking, and a miserable riding experience.
Bonus?  I received a wave from ALL 2 wheeled riders on the road, BMW, Wingers, and even the sports bike crowd.

I have found in this part of the country most riders will wave at other riders regardless of what you are riding.  Interesting that you found it uncomfortable.  I found the same thing.  It was too small for me.  More comfortable on my Vulcan Voyager Touring Cruiser. 

From reading this forum, it appears that many find the Concours uncomfortable.  Many threads about risers, windshields, seats, footpeg lowering blocks, etc.

Personally, I find the sport touring riding position the most comfortable for long distance riding.  The Concours, Versys, and Mean Streak have a body forward lean, but the Mean Streak has forward controls.  The Voyager and KLX 250 have straight up riding positions.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 06:33:03 PM »
Bad back.  Any amount of forward controls and I am screwed.  Having a heal shifter made it worse, I actually used the passenger boards almost as much as I did the rider boards.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »
Strangely enough, when my back gives me problems, riding the bike is one of the few things that doesn't make it worse or hurt.  Now getting on and off of it can be a bit tough.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Yup, I find the same thing Jim. Riding the bike helps if anything. As you say though, little tough getting on & off.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
I think we know some o' dem guise makin' da' comments!

:rotflmao:

Brian

The level of intelligence in the comments is outstanding.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com