Author Topic: Bike runs on cyl's 1 and 4  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Tarzan

Bike runs on cyl's 1 and 4
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I am bringing this Connie back from it's long deep sleep. It appears that maintenance was not at the top of the PO's list of things to do. It sat since 1997 before I got it. The Carbs were real dirty and #1 carb was corroded.I rebuilt the carbs and bought a new gas tank, since the old one is full of rust and in pretty sad shape. I replaced the Spark plugs, wires, and caps. The bike will start and run on 2 cylinders, but  obviously needs help. I checked the P/U coils with a volt/ohm meter and they are within spec. I tested the coils and the primary and secondary resistance is within spec too. I have chased it down to the green wire on the right coil. I get 10.5 volts at the left coil with the leads connected to the two wires leading to the left coil. When I connect the meter to the wires going to the right coil, I get nothing. If I connect the red volt meter lead to the red wire going to the right coil, and the black volt meter lead to the black wire going to the left coil, I get 10.5 volts. I can't get any readings using the green wire from the right coil. Can someone tell me if this could indicate a bad igniter box?Or could it be the J-box?  I know I should have higher battery voltage than 10.5 volts, and will charge the battery to full.
1986 Concours

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Bike runs on cyl's 1 and 4
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »
I would be chasing down that green wire.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Tarzan

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I would be chasing down that green wire.

It comes directly form the igniter, which is the same reading. I think that means the igniter is no good.But would like to be sure before I buy one
1986 Concours

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
It comes directly form the igniter, which is the same reading. I think that means the igniter is no good.But would like to be sure before I buy one
Follow along with what Revrider posted on the COG forum, he is quite up on that stuff. I've never had issues with mine in almost 190k miles.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)