Author Topic: Man Arrested for Loading Legal Gun With Too Many Bullets  (Read 9105 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Man Arrested for Loading Legal Gun With Too Many Bullets
« on: October 18, 2013, 06:05:54 AM »
By Jacob Gershman

An upstate New York man was arrested for violating the state’s new gun law. What makes this case unusual is that the gun in question was legal and wasn’t involved in a crime. The man faces up to a year in prison for loading it with too many bullets.

Paul Wojdan was a passenger in a car that was pulled over for speeding in the city of Lockport, N.Y., last weekend after a brief chase, according to the Buffalo News. Law Blog couldn’t immediately reach him for comment.

After the officer inquired if there were any weapons inside the vehicle, the man handed over a holstered gun from the glove compartment. Mr. Wojdan had a permit for the gun, the newspaper reported. But he was taken into custody after the officer inspected the magazine and saw that it contained 10 rounds of ammunition, exceeding the legal limit by three bullets.

Under the New York Safe Act, a package of stricter gun restrictions approved this year, it’s legal to possess a magazine that can store 10 rounds of ammunition, but that magazine may not be loaded with more than seven rounds.

The 26-year-old man was charged with unlawful possession of an ammunition-feeding device.

According to a legal guidance memo prepared by the New York State Police, authorities need probable cause to inspect the contents of a magazine.

“Unless there is probable cause to believe the law is being violated, there isn’t justification for checking a magazine to determine whether or not it contains more than 7 rounds,” states the “Guide to The New York Safe Act,” prepared by the New York State Police counsel’s office.

Lockport’s police chief, Lawrence Eggert, said the officer acted appropriately.

“We certainly are not going to just stop a car and ask for a permit so we can check the number of bullets in the magazine,” he told the Buffalo News. “We usually run these by the DA’s office, but in this particular case, the officer didn’t have that luxury.”

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-357634/

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Man Arrested for Loading Legal Gun With Too Many Bullets
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:28 AM »
Stand right there ............... while I get rid of three.

better?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:25:06 AM by gPink »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »
 :-X

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »
What, too soon?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:20:45 AM »
Don't want to be the guy to get this sent to the arena ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »
Well I look at it this way... If your going to live in a stupid state known for making stupid laws then you had best make it your priority to know what the stupid rules are or your going to go to jail for your own stupidity...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »
...there is that. (says the guy living in the PRI)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
He can beat this one.
He was charged with an unlawful posession of an ammo feeding device.
Being in posession of an ammo feeding device isn't illegal. Loading it with more than seven rounds is. The act of loading it with more rounds than allowed is the crime. Not posessing the legal mag.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
Well I look at it this way... If your going to live in a stupid state known for making stupid laws then you had best make it your priority to know what the stupid rules are or your going to go to jail for your own stupidity...

Makes sense to me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »

This is what I have to do in the stupid state of NJ.
Yesterday's law(s) is not today's. Today's law(s) will not be tomorrow's.
Stay informed. Act accordingly.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
This is what I have to do in the stupid state of NJ.
Yesterday's law(s) is not today's. Today's law(s) will not be tomorrow's.
Stay informed. Act accordingly.

Wise words to live by.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »
What, too soon?

Why, are you commenting on 'premature ejection' perhaps?
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »
If only law enforcement would be on our side and tell the state government to stick it where the sun don't shine. I was hoping to make it back up to Maine someday for another motorcycle trip, but that entire portion of the country "except for Vermont" leaves a bad taste in my mouth anymore.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
Cheese is good in Vermont.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »
If only law enforcement would be on our side and tell the state government to stick it where the sun don't shine.
Some of them are.

http://www.nysaferesolutions.com/2013/01/24/saratoga-county-sheriffs-association-stands-against-ny-safe-act/

There are some great points in that letter.  I really liked this one:  (emphasis added)
In addition, any semi-automatic pistol that has 1 “military—type” feature will, under the new law, be considered an assault weapon.

While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip. making nearly every semi—automatic pistol an assault weapon and thus subject to registration on a yearly basis.

Many LEOs oppose it on a personal level, even though they are exempted.  (We weren't in the original version of the bill.  They rushed it through without thinking,  ::) and made thousands of LEOs into criminals for carrying their duty firearms.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »
This, to my knowledge, is the second arrest of an person who is  otherwise legal to carry but in violation of the ammo count, as per the safe act in NY. In the first event the DA chose not to persecute.

Nazi Germany started like this too. Small steps of the government violating citizens rights, claiming to "better" their society.  Getting the LEO's to enforce laws of subjugation from the government, having the populace act as sheep so they wouldn't have to deal with the gestapo and special police. Most folks were glad to turn their heads at the government violations, as long as the government left them alone. Pretty soon neighbors were ratting on each other, and turning a blind eye to the atrocities committed right under their noses.

In NY, the legislature pushed through a bill that seriously curtails the rights of legal gun owners in the middle of the night, in 15 minutes, with no public hearings, and they called it "the SAFE act" The politicians and police used the Newtown tragedy - a horrible crime committed by a mentally ill person - as an EXCUSE to attack the rights of millions of innocent NY gun owners. The NY Post newspaper even outed the LEGAL concealed carriers in Kings county - even Law Enforcement, Corrections Officers, Judges, etc, in an effort to ingratiate itself with the politicians and their sheep. Now law abiding firearms carriers have been turned into criminals - and as you see, the police ARE doing the bidding of the government. Now read the paragraph before this one, and tell me what YOU see. Steve

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
Cheese is good in Vermont.

So is maple syrup and Ben & Jerrys.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »

Is there a state that does otherwise?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
Is there a state that does otherwise?

What make stupid laws? Well no but some are worse than others.... Hell some even refuse to follow federal laws and go off on their own and pass unconstitutional laws...
Tony P. Crochet