Author Topic: ADV RIDERS, or Cross Country riders Here? on Dual Sports  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
ADV RIDERS, or Cross Country riders Here? on Dual Sports
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »
Hey yaw'll!  I've got the bug again and it's bad this time...wanting to put together a Dual Sport bike.  OK  I'm not looking for just ideas, but if you are a dual-sporter and have firsthand experience....

here are a few decisions to make....I have to think about overall seat height unloaded since I have about a 28" rise.   I also have a big concern to be able to do field repairs if I am off road/on road and by myself.

Suz DR650   or    (leaning towards this)
KLR 650       or
Wee                  (could be cost prohibitive)

And your thoughts on:
soft or hard panniers
engine guards
rear case Givi or other (I want to be able to remove easy)
fork brace
windscreen
Hand guards
tools
extra parts (levers, plugs, chains, sprockets, tubes, etc)
foot pegs
tires 
aux lights
center stand or a flamingo leg

anything else you may think of...
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
Re: ADV RIDERS, or Cross Country riders Here? on Dual Sports
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »
I am right there with you - I have been looking at getting back on dirt for the past year or so, but yet to pull trigger.

It seems the real challenge I have had is deciding if I want to lean more dirt, or more pavement. My issue is I want something light that I can throw around on single-track, fire roads, etc, but it needs to be heavy enough for slab riding as well.

The KLR and DR650 (both have lots of aftermarket support) are great bikes, but I am also considering a DR400. I think that may be good middle ground. I have a friend that has one and I have ridden with him on the interstate at 70 mph and he seems to do fine - but I bet he wouldn't want to do slab all day. On that same note, another riding buddy of mine picked up a nice XR650 so he could ride dirt with his sons (8 and 14). He is a pretty big guy, so he thought the 650 would work, but I think he regrets it now because of the weight and he is looking for an lighter alternative.

Honda has the new for '13 CR250F which looks like a great bike, but again, maybe too light for my riding needs.

Just my style, and people that have them, love them, but the Wee just looks a bit refined for lots of dirt riding. And with all of the DS variants, think about having to lift it out of the sand or mud a few times in a day. Ugh!

Again, I am in the same boat. There are great purpose-built machines on the market, just deciding which one is best for you style is the hard part. I've almost made deals on several bikes, and just can't pull the trigger. In my case, what will probably happen, is I will find a good deal on one of the above, and just jump on it.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
WR250R.......end of search. The WR has plenty of power, it is much lighter, totally bullet proof over-built engine, better suspension, more powerful wattage output from rare earth magnet stator, lots of aftermarket goodies, and you pretty much cannot hurt the darn things. I love mine, and it will run 65/70 all day no problem. Another good choice would be the DRZ400, I owned a DR650 for several years and I will admit that they are great bikes. Just saying not to rule out a WR, they really are the all around best dual sport out there...............until Yamaha pulls their heads out of their butts and finally comes out with a 450.  ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
I should have added...It will be more primary and secondary road and back road than dirt.   My idea of dirt will be Forest Service roads, dirt roads across the high desert, that kind of thing...not really into the mud thing....

I wil be looking to ride 4-500+ miles a day on a long day and 2-300 on an excursion 
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
I've got a 2001 DR650 and my son has a 2009 KLR. One question is how much paved versus dirt do you plan? The DR is ready for basic dirt roads and easy trails out of the box. But if you plan to put some miles on pavement and some travel you need a better seat (I love the Corbin seat on mine) and you need luggage. The stock seat feels like a 2x4 after about 2 hours. I got racks from happy-trail.com and adapted some large ammo cases as panniers. I had some soft strap over luggage but then had to pile quite a bit on top. The ammo cases add some weight but I was able put my total luggage mass much lower with those. Plus they double as a seat and table at camp. The ammo cases also are a bear resistant food storage. Before turning in for the night I put all food in one of them and put leave it 100 yards or so from the camp. Keeps all other animals out including insects and if a bear does try to get in it is away from my tent. If I had money to spare I would be looking for aluminum side cases. Plus the DR has zero wind protection. No problem on dirt but for highway it gets fatiguing so I adapted an old Memphis Shades wind shield to mine that I can lower for dirt. Also the DR doesn't have enough range for serious adv riding in the west. So I also added a 5 gal IMS tank. The OEM tank is only 3 gal.

The KLR comes much more travel ready out of the box. The stock seat is quite comfy or at least comfy enough and it has just enough wind protection to make it tolerable. It has a 6.1 gal tank for plenty of range.

I like my DR slightly better for off road and the KLR slightly better on road. Both bikes need racks and luggage options for ADV riding. The DR with some aftermarket changes is my preference but side by side as the sit in the showroom the KLR is much more suited for ADV riding out of the box.

My DR with soft luggage and stuff piled on top:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
I should have added...It will be more primary and secondary road and back road than dirt.   My idea of dirt will be Forest Service roads, dirt roads across the high desert, that kind of thing...not really into the mud thing....

I wil be looking to ride 4-500+ miles a day on a long day and 2-300 on an excursion

Then a Vstrom 650 is hands down the best choice IMHO. I owned a Vstrom for years, and they are the swiss army knife of motorcycles.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »
GOOD INFO!  Just what I am looking for...

BIGGER tank...yes!   I have put together a "wish" list of acc...and its about $1750  that includes HT Aluminum panniers and a GIVI top case

I will be probably 85% road and 15% off road
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
I have found a 2006 one owner KLR for $3500  needs a rear tire, has less than 4000 miles other than that, its mint
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Pokey almost hit it out of the park :o  (They do have the WR450F).  Unless you are looking at touring with a load lighter is much much much better.  The KLRs 2 biggest weaknesses are weight and suspension, everything else is a snap.  And the Gen 1 KLR is a much better looking bike!!

Dalroo has it fairly well figured out, we have several CRF230Fs, best way I can describe the bike is a mini KLR650, great for forrest roads, but beyond that?  One of my riding buddies has WRs, YZs, a 'Strom, and DR400.  He has a habit of breaking things and somehow he always ends up with the DR as his backup bike while fixing the others (not the 'Strom, that's his "street bike").

As to DS farkles?  Where to start is indeed the question.  Weight, function, and durability are key.  Giantloop has a horeshoe shaped bag in differant sizes that will keep the weight lower and tighter to the bike.  Twisted Throttle has the SW Moto racksand Pelican cases which are about as bullet proof as there is, but they do add a substantial amount of weight.  I weighed my kit last night for my upcoming Colorado BDR trip, with water, tent, bag, clothes, camp kitchen, and dry stores  things weighed in at 119 pounds.  This doesn't include the tool kit, tire tools, or Rotopax with a gallon of gas.  So, weight is a huge issue as every pound adds up.
The pic below is the GS all loaded up.  I went with the F800GS because it is the best compromise (IMO), does good on the road, great on gravel roads, and good on the trails.  It packs what I want and has more power than I will ever be able to use.

If you will be doing more road than dirt a 650 is your calling, if you are planning weekend getaways and want to explore some trails a 250 should be in your future.  Another good option would be a used Sertao, it's a 650 thumper, lighter than the other 650s, better suspension and not overly priced, more than the DRs and KLRs, but less to do to make it proper.  My next DS will be the KTM350EXC, ultra light and setup for day trips where I need to tie dirt roads with pavement.
GOOD INFO!  Just what I am looking for...

BIGGER tank...yes!   I have put together a "wish" list of acc...and its about $1750  that includes HT Aluminum panniers and a GIVI top case

I will be probably 85% road and 15% off road
Well, after reading the replies I just don't want to delete what I typed ;)  A Gen 1 KLR will be your answer, they coined the word Frugal and that bike has been 'round the world many times and it has been said that the KLR created the ADV craze.  You should be able to find one already kitted up for $3000ish and probably fairly low mileage, think below 10,000 miles.  Did I mention Gen 1?? ;D
Spend some time on ADV Rider, lots of info on all bike brands and where to ride them 8)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
I have found a 2006 one owner KLR for $3500  needs a rear tire, has less than 4000 miles other than that, its mint
Nice!!!!!  We expect pics once she's (he's  ;))in the driveway.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
Again good info..

I'm on the end of the board....just can't jump yet...the water still looks cold and cloudy.....

Nice looking Beemer Chet...
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline cugsy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
Welllll....I've had my '93 DR for 4 years now. Its been off road sometimes in sand and mud. Its not too heavy and when you get used to it you can chuck it about. I do a lot of road riding on it - everything from short trips to work to a bit of scratching.
 It sits at 65-75 for ages and gives me more when I need it. It returns 50mpg and with the 4 gallon (UK) tank I get about 150 miles before reserve. More on long trips. It burns no oil, the plugs are clean and the bikes quite a doddle to work on. The seat is a bastard after 40 miles and I bought another with more padding - 150 miles now. I do have a strap on (careful now!) gel seat that helps too.
 Luggage wise, I have the Give 40 litre topbox, Oxford 40+ cordura panniers (that have had some dreadful treatment in all weathers including catching fire!) and a small tankbag that holds my phone and some bits. I have a handlebar mounted gps bag and 12v marine grade socket.
 I love this bike - more than Tubby but its early days.  I wpuld still trust the bike to get me there and back 500 miles in a day.  Isn't the KLR watercooled?
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline cugsy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »
Oh, nearly forgot - its got a taller screen too. It works and I'm 6'3"...and fat.  Tyres have been Avon Distanzias for the last 2 sets (about 10,000 miles a pair)
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
KLR, watercooled, yes.  DR great bike?  Yes.

And thankee kindly Silvera.  Go ahead and jump, them gators are just hovering on the bottom ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »

Sounds good. Add something like these and your good to go: http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Aluminum-Panniers-Owyhee-KLR650E.aspx

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
My ammo case solution:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
Sounds good. Add something like these and your good to go: http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Aluminum-Panniers-Owyhee-KLR650E.aspx
That link has 'bout everything Silvera inquired about :)

So, what tires ya gonna run?  My all time favs for the KLR are the Pirelli MT21s, if they had them in the right size for the GS I'd be running them.  I ended up with the Pirelli Scorpions, which as it turns out the rear has better street manners.

Pictures yet ;)

Rhino, how much do them things weigh :o :o  I'd run em on the KLR in a heartbeat ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
That link has 'bout everything Silvera inquired about :)

So, what tires ya gonna run?  My all time favs for the KLR are the Pirelli MT21s, if they had them in the right size for the GS I'd be running them.  I ended up with the Pirelli Scorpions, which as it turns out the rear has better street manners.

Pictures yet ;)

Rhino, how much do them things weigh :o :o  I'd run em on the KLR in a heartbeat ;D

I haven't weighed them but would guess about 20 lbs each. Probably twice what the 9" HT panniers weigh but $20 for both of them versus $850 for the HT cases. They are currently in storage but will be breaking them out in the next couple of days. I will weigh them when I do.

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
OK  no laughing...I am going in a few minutes to look at a DR650 at a dealer down the road...

advantage is...I have a Zuki dealer about a mile from me....

decisions decisions............................. :P
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »
Nothing wrong with the DR...

DSing is even more addictive than a street bike, so many roads less traveled.