Author Topic: charging system  (Read 7532 times)

Offline scott 2

charging system
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
I need some help.  Last week my battery died I replaced it with a new oddessy.  I was on my way to my daughter volleyball game and the bike died. :(  The new battery died half way there.  Could it be the generator or something else?????   Any advise would help I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem.

Offline GeeBeav

Re: charging system
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
Charge the battery. Voltage should be 12.6 or so.

With meter connected, turn on key, voltage will drop slowly, stay above 12. If it drops drasically, bad battery.

Start bike - watch voltage while cranking, shouldn't drop below 10-11 volts. A drastic drop, and/or doesn't start, bad battery.

Rev engine to 3K, voltage should rise to 14.8 or so and stabilize. If voltage doesn't rise, or goes much above 15, alternator problem. 
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline scott 2

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Thanks,  I just got home from work and planning on working on the bike tonight.  That's the first things I will check.  Is it common to have new batteries be bad?  Or is there problems common to the charging systems on the concours, that I haven't heard of?   Thanks again for the advise.

Ride safe

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
While anything is posable considering that your first battery went dead if you replaced without checking the charging system I'm most suspect that your charging system is at fault. Charge the battery, check the standing voltage (12.5 to 13 volts) start and check voltage at 4 to 5 thousand RPM you should now see 13.5 to 14.8 volts.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
And check the alternator connector - follow the cable coming out of the alt to a 2-pin connector. Separate the connector, clean and grease the terminals in both sides of the connector.

Offline scott 2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Thanks I checked the battery and it stayed at 12 to 13.   And when I rev the motor it still stayed at 13 didn't go any higher.  How hard is it to rebuild the alternator?  Or should I take it to a professional??? 

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
I would look for one on ebay - usually find one for $100 or less. Find a seller who guarantees it, and accepts returns. ZG1000 and ZX-11 are the same alt.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »
If your unsure of what your checking get someone who is more confident of what they are doing to help you out here; many auto part stores will check your charging system for nothing. We don't want you replacing anymore costly parts than absolutely needed. You can buy a used alt from eBay all day long as any year of the ZG1000 will fit as will the ZL1000 and even the ZRX all years will fit without issue. Go to our "For Sale" forum and check to see if Steve In Sunny Florida can help you out with the bike he is parting out.

Do not fool around with getting your alt rebuilt as that will be too costly as compared to used parts.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »
any year of the ZG1000 will fit as will the ZL1000 and even the ZRX all years will fit without issue.

ZL is 350 watts, Conc/ZX-11/ZRX is 400 watts.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
ZL is 350 watts, Conc/ZX-11/ZRX is 400 watts.

Yes but at the right price it will both fit and work.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
And check the alternator connector - follow the cable coming out of the alt to a 2-pin connector. Separate the connector, clean and grease the terminals in both sides of the connector.

follow the Beaver's advice on this one before going further.... ;)
follow the 2 wire line up to the connecter, and examine it closely....this is a very predominant problem spot in the charging system, and many many people have a melted connector there.
insure it is intact, and both sets of blades are clean and in good shape.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline scott 2

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
So this what we found.   The alternator started to work and started to produce 14 to15 volts.  But (there is always a but)  when the engine started to get hot we lost volts.  My buddy checked the rectfier and said it was doing its job.  But the Regulator was not doing anything couldn't get any volts at all when it got hot.   So he thinks replacing the regulator will solve my problem.   Which is $230 for just that part.  Or should I try to find the whole alternator off ebay,  but how will I know that one will be good.   The bike only has 65000 miles on and I'm hoping to keep it alot longer, maybe another 100000 love my bike.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
. . . but how will I know that one will be good.
That's why I said look for a seller who will guarantee it.
Here's an aftermarket regulator - $78.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1438Q2el2649QQitemZ290607697137QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
follow the Beaver's advice on this one before going further.... ;)
follow the 2 wire line up to the connecter, and examine it closely....this is a very predominant problem spot in the charging system, and many many people have a melted connector there.
insure it is intact, and both sets of blades are clean and in good shape.

I'm going to ask you one more time if you have examined the wire harness coming from the unit........ ??? :banghead: as I did above......twice.

if it is melted it WILL produce the results you found, and will eventually ruin the generator assembly, along with a new one if you install one.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline scott 2

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
Wires connecter was a little dirty but not melted.  We cleaned them and it didn't help thanks for the advice.