Author Topic: Final drive-oil on input splines?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Mike G

Final drive-oil on input splines?
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:13 AM »
I replaced the front bevel drive gasket this weekend to eliminate an oil leak but also found another problem.  When I removed the final drive a small amount of oil dripped out of the coupler and the Moly 60 I put on the splines was mostly washed away.  I put the final drive aside to continue working and in the morning there was a large pudde of oil around the final drive.  It looked like the oil was running down one of the lower mounting studs, which I would expect is a bad o-ring.  I don't see how this would result in oil inside the coupler.  Anybody seen this before? 

Thanks,
Mike G

Offline Mike G

Re: Final drive-oil on input splines?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Bump, any ideas?  It's definitely gear oil.

Offline Leo

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »
All of my Concours bikes developed a tiny bit of a leak in the front pinion of the final gear housing.  After taking the time to fix it right once,  I decided not worry about it.  That little bit of gear lube forward of the "O" ring does not hurt anything.  I put a thin film of black rtv on the flange where the four studs hold the final drive to the swing arm to keep thing clean at that joint.  Tens of thousands of miles later, no problems, and the gear lube level does not go down.  (if I was having to top up the lube in the final drive housing in between the annual change interval, I would fix it right)
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Mike G

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:12 AM »
Thanks Leo, that sounds like my leak.  Not enough to see a difference in the level, just enough to make the pinion wet.

Mike G