Author Topic: Front tire - when to change?  (Read 5215 times)

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
Front tire - when to change?
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »
We spend a lot of time on this forum discussing rear tires and the miles we get from them but let's talk about front tires for a change  :D

OTP, this is what the law says when it comes to legal tire depths:

"The legal limit of tyre tread depth in the UK for motorcycles over 50cc is 1mm across 3/4 of the width of the tread pattern and with visible tread on the remaining 1/4. It is recommended to consider replacing motorcycle tyres in advance of the legal requirement i.e. at 2mm."

I'm now at 2mm (measured at the centre) on my Metzeler Z6 Roadtec (110/80-18) and considering the original depth was a miserly 4mm, I've only done just over 5800 miles. This is just slightly more than I get from the Azaro rear  :o

When I ran a Storm 2 up front, it used to be two rears to one front, so about 12k on the Storm 2. The remaining tread is uniform across the whole of the tread, so 2mm on the edges too, with no cupping whatsoever.

I'm very impressed with the stickiness of the Z6 but the mileage so far is poor. This is the first (and maybe last?) time I've run the Z6 so, apart from the Storm 2, what other front radials would you consider?

I could run the Z6 down to 1mm (another 2500 miles) but 7500 miles from a front tire  :o :o

Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
Re: Front tire - when to change?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
That sounds pretty awful to me too. Metzler's usually wear like iron so that's even worse than one would think. 12K is about what I'm used to on Dunlop fronts.  ???
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline Fretka

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
I ask quite a bit from my tires, I am not concerned with mileage but handling, therefore safety is #1 on my list.
What I have found is that any tire (excepting Dunlop's NTEC GP-211 that costs $550 for both and lasts about as long as 1K miles) will take a shape that makes it worthless long before the tread depth is exhausted.
Handling is shot and becomes very apparent on the C-14 ( won't lean, won't stay leaned without constant pressure on the bars, etc.).
This is true with the stock tires and also Pirelli Angels being somewhat worse.
I suppose my suggestion is that ultimate mileage is not necessarily the goal when it comes to tire choice, handling and safety are paramount and any one single tire is not going to work for all of us.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:31:12 PM by Fretka »
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
When to change? While the front wheel is in the air of course!
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1267.0;topicseen
'02 C-10

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »
Due to partly Scottish blood, I would use it at least to the wear bars.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
I have kept log books on everything related to my bikes, so tire wear, miles and longevity are all recorded. I have found on my 01, now with its 7th new front tire, that the true measurable wear starts about the 6 k mark of miles.
 I have never gotten more then 14k out of a front, and as little as 8k.  I am also quite anal when it comes to tire preasure, I check it before every ride, and do a roll around a couple times a week.
 So my suggestion is to document, everything concerning your tires, like services and the like, it is excelent back-up knowledge.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
I have not tried them yet but I hear very good things about the new Michelin PR3. Try a set of those and see how they work and let us know.
I run Storm2 and have been very happy but that maybe my next tire
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
I have not tried them yet but I hear very good things about the new Michelin PR3.

That's what I've read and heard Mike  ;). It's about 15% more in price here OTP than the PR2 which has only just been replaced. For the C-10, I'm not yet convinced it's worth more $'s than a PR2 but we'll see.

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »
I look for mileage tires for the C-10 as it's the long haul super slab bike
FYI recently put on BT-45's. Not a good tire for C-10. They are wearing good but the front tread design promotes wobble IMHO
I'll run them out but another tire that can be removed from my list. Put BT-16 on Busa- great tire on that bike- to bad they don't have a C-10 size
I've had major disappointments from Dunlop-Michelin and Avon

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
I just mounted up a 110/80zr18 on my '99 C-10 yesterday, first test ride today.  Rides smooth, turns in nicely, weighs about half of a Pilot GT Wang tire, comes with factory siping on it, has 4.5mm tread thickness. I haven't hit the corners hard yet, and have not been playing on the freeway with all of the truck traffic, but so far, so good. I let go of the handlebars while slowing from 55mph, had about an 1/8th inch of shimmy that quickly stopped on it's own. I have a 4000 mile trip coming up later this month, will see how that all works out.

Sorry I can't compare to Avon and such, bad experiences with Avon decades ago has them on my do not buy list, subject to revocation if warranted. They sure are better than the Dunlop 205, however.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
mjrfd99-I just mounted my 3rd set of 1500 Wing sized Elite 3 bias tires on my 06 C10. The first set lasted 21.5K and the second set lasted 20.5K. I'm not an agressive rider but not a slug either.They say they don't handle well, but for my type of riding I'm well satisfied.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »
I like Avons and they tend to wear together. I like to change both at the same time. Yeah - this leaves a little meat on the front - but I really love the handling of new tires and I figure with the $10K I saved buying a slightly used C-10 over a new sport tourer, I can spoil myself.  8)
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:50:22 AM »
I like Avons and they tend to wear together.

Storm front, Azaro rear ?

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
mjrfd99-I just mounted my 3rd set of 1500 Wing sized Elite 3 bias tires on my 06 C10. The first set lasted 21.5K and the second set lasted 20.5K. I'm not an agressive rider but not a slug either.They say they don't handle well, but for my type of riding I'm well satisfied.
Thanks for the info- Up and down I-95 is racking up the miles quick - Ill be looking for some Elite 3's and reviews of them.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
Paul, I'm wondering why you don't use the Avon Storm II Ultra. I've been running it in the 110/80/18 size and am very impressed with the tire.
The tire wears well, maintains it's profile very well, steers great with excellent feel and the tread does not just go away when you get down to end life on the tire. It's an excellent rain tire I crossed Arkansas 3 weeks ago at night in heavy rain with a front tire probably 85% worn and a rear 90% worn, No wiggles, no shakes, no slippage. 
The tire will last me through 3 rear Azaros. This is the first front tire I've ever used that I've been comfortable using for more than 1 rear tire.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
Paul, I'm wondering why you don't use the Avon Storm II Ultra. I've been running it in the 110/80/18 size and am very impressed with the tire.
The tire wears well, maintains it's profile very well, steers great with excellent feel and the tread does not just go away when you get down to end life on the tire. It's an excellent rain tire I crossed Arkansas 3 weeks ago at night in heavy rain with a front tire probably 85% worn and a rear 90% worn, No wiggles, no shakes, no slippage. 
The tire will last me through 3 rear Azaros. This is the first front tire I've ever used that I've been comfortable using for more than 1 rear tire.

Thanks for the comments Don on the Storm 2.

I haven't run an Avon up front since I had bad expereinces with two of the original Storms, not the Ultra 2 mind you. Both gave me the headshake we all talk about which I'd never had from other tires including Metzeler, Pirelli and Bridgestone.

Perhaps now is the time to give Avon a second chance and get the Storm 2 as they're by far the best value radial 110/80-18 here OTP.

Once again, many thanks  ;)

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

voileauciel

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »
I too am curious about the Storm Ultra II. I never get headshake from Dunlops or Metzelers, I did with the old Storm and a Shinko on the rear. Also got some mild wobble from the Pirelli Sport Demons.

Haven't had the BT45s just yet, but am between them and the Avons. I just don't like headshake, period.

I checked the head bearings at 35k and 55k, and they're good to go. Had a second opinion on them as well, and the gent, who replaces these and other such things for a living, found no issue.

Could changing to the Progressive rear shock also help with headshake? I've got 57k on her now, and best I can tell, the original has maybe another 13k left in it before I'm going to seriously have to consider either a fluid change or replacement.