Author Topic: problems buying from forum members.  (Read 8126 times)

Offline lddave

problems buying from forum members.
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:33:45 PM »
Saw an item on the for sale section. Contacted seller agree to the price of item , was asked for an address and gave my P O Box. Seller shipped fed ex and sent me a tracking number. I did not think FedEx delivers to P O Boxs . Call them nope no P O Boxs. Give the Fed Ex rep my physcal address no problem he says. Several days later look at tracking number and it  says delivered. Not on the porch look at tracking number again it was delivered to a city at least 60 miles away. Back on phone to Fed Ex no problem they will pick package up at the address were it was wrongly delivered and deliver it to my house. 6 days after I first called FedEx still no package. Call Fed Ex again package was picked up and is in route to Dallas I say DALLAS that is 250 miles away . I was told it would go to Dallas and then return to Houston and then be shipped to my house . Delivery date is now late next week . By the time the package arrives it will have more mile on it then some Harleys get in a year.
What have I learned from this experience.
I paid for the shipping so next time I will pick the shipper.
Never assume that a person selling items that uses Fed Ex is smart enough to know Fed Ex does not deliver to P O Boxs.
Never invest in Fed Ex stock because they are losing money with the type of routing of packages they use.

Dave
IBA 178

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
Re: problems buying from forum members.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
 :popcorn:
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:38:01 AM »
I understand the frustration you must feel, but I've bought many items from members here and I have never had an issue, matter of fact, the shipping has always been superb. Just my two cents, hope you get this resolved.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
Unduly harsh summary. Stuff happens and you were affected, we get it. No reason to denigrate the seller or FedEx or by implication this forum. Yes, you were inconvenienced. Stuff happens.

And you were the one who supplied a POB as a shipping address that started the whole chain reaction of events.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
This really is a matter of mis-communications between members, unfortunately.  Assumptions were made on both sides.  Personally, I prefer Fedex in my neck of the woods.  UPS hasn't been that great with the USPS coming dead last.  We don't see DHL anymore, but they would tie with the USPS.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »
... And you were the one who supplied a POB as a shipping address that started the whole chain reaction of events.

Exactly...... For those of us who have never had a POB it would unfair to assume that we know that FedEx & UPS etc do not deliver to a POB; while it does sound logical that they don't I still say it is unfair of the OP to assume to know that we know what he knows. I myself believe that your beef should lie with FedEx and not the Seller as if he was able to give you a tracking number that should mean that it was excepted into FedEx's possession and they should have stopped the shipment right there if they don't do POB's.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »
FYI

I am unlucky enough to live where the USPS will not deliver to my home. Forced to have a PO Box at the nearest post office get get all my USPS mail.

However ....

UPS will deliver to my home. (THE BROWN TRUCK)

FED Ex sometimes will deliver .. but often for values higher than $200 ... Fed Ex ...  requires someone home to accept the package.

If I use my PO Box number for deliveries .. I almost always have issues .. So after 15 years I only used my physical address for all deliveries.

Your luck may differ ...

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
I still say it is unfair of the OP to assume to know that we know what he knows.

That's it in a nutshell...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
The OP may have over-reacted, but he is correct is his basic assessment.  FedEx has been in business for 25 years or so.  Neither they nor UPS ship to PO Boxes.  This is not news, nor is is a secret.  The seller/shipper can reasonably expected to know this.  It was a stupid error on the part of the seller.

FedEx knows they do not ship to PO Boxes.  They should have notified the shipper/seller and refused the package.  Delivering it twice to wrong addresses shows and incompetence which is not a common FedEx trait.  They are normally very reliable.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
I have shipped hundred of packages to forum members USPS priority, and have never had an issue. I put tracking on everything.

OTOH, when I sent my rim to Kosman, the postal service lost it in Dallas for about 3 weeks. Fortunately the .60 cent tracking I put on it saved the day. Sh*t happens. Steve

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
Neither they nor UPS ship to PO Boxes.  This is not news, nor is is a secret.  The seller/shipper can reasonably expected to know this.  It was a stupid error on the part of the seller.

News to me & I've occasionally shipped a part or three for the last 20+ yrs. or so & all of the time it has been to an address not a pob
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
sounds like it was messed up at every level. i thought that stuff only happened to me.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
sounds like it was messed up at every level. i thought that stuff only happened to me.

Ditto.
Somewhat of a Luddite (no Tee-Vee, microwave, or cell phone here), I've known for eon's that the private common carriers (UPS/FedEX, DHL, ...) do not deliver to PO boxes. And if a PO box delivery address on the electronic/internet produced ship label didn't raise a major flag, the world has ended as we know it. Or it's Tuesday.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
It's Tuesday.*  But at least some Luddites are more aware of what is going on around them than others.  QCTM

* In some parts of the world.

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
Just curious to know why someone would use POB instead of their physical address? Just asking since I don't understand, not a jab.

Flame suit on.......

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »
Just curious to know why someone would use POB instead of their physical address? Just asking since I don't understand, not a jab.

Flame suit on.......
Principally due to no convenient / secure place to leave a package, privacy concerns, and some rural addresses still do not get regular package delivery.  Probably more reasons, but that's a good start.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:05 PM »

Flame suit on.......

No suit needed. The town I 'live' in has no door to door (or mailbox to mailbox) USPS delivery. Everybody that lives in the town proper has a PO box for USPS mail, there is no other option. I live rural Lyons, so I get carrier delivery. Confused?

FWIW my electric bill gets addressed to Raymond (which has no post office), and my phone is routed through Allenspark. Even though my mailing address is Lyons, you won't find me in the Lyons white pages.

Yes, I have a flush toilet, and hot/cold running water, in real copper pipes.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:29:31 AM »
One problem with FedEx delivering to your home is the folks who deliver to homes are subcontractors. Theyy are paid per delivery and will "deliver" your package incorrectly to an easy location. A friend lives at the end of a gravel roadthat looks like you would never get out once in. UPS goes to the business across the road daily as does USPS. FedEx won't come down the hill so they deliver to the last house. Luckily that business and the place my friend rents is owned by the guy who lives where FedEx delivers. They have had many problems with this. This is something FedEx needs to address. Solution? Don't use FedEx to ship to a residence.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »
Shoddy service with package deliveries is very individual it seems.  I have the best of luck with Fedex and UPS takes a very distant second.  I guess it totally depends on the driver or supervisor of the area in question.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 05:09:49 AM »
No suit needed. The town I 'live' in has no door to door (or mailbox to mailbox) USPS delivery. Everybody that lives in the town proper has a PO box for USPS mail, there is no other option.

Yes, I have a flush toilet, and hot/cold running water, in real copper pipes.

Rick

Same here. My lil village only has 500 people. I did know that Fedex and UPS won't deliver to a POB though. I've had lots of trouble with my physical address. When I enter my physical address in some shipping situations the database that they use spits it back saying that the address is no good or that I entered it wrong. I think that I know what my address is. I've tried to get that database corrected over the years but no one seems to know who maintains it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:20:36 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn