Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 56852 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »
Rest and heal Jim. Glad yer through it and recovering. You'll be doing a trackday on an H2 in no time  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2023, 03:44:53 PM »
Get well soon, Jim. And don’t sleep on the lazyboy. I think your bed would be better.

Did they tell you the condition of your old hips once in there?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2023, 05:15:28 PM »
Glad you’re doing well Jim.  Incidentally, my son preps the prosthetics (parts) for hips, shoulders and knee surgeries.  He stands in the O.R. and uses a laser pointer to light up the parts that the surgeon calls out for the techs to retrieve.  He’s told me about how rough they are on the patients (as a matter of necessity).  Sledge hammers, slide hammers, big ‘ol drill bits, serious power tools...  It’s like carpentry on humans.  It’s no wonder patients come out of those surgeries feeling like they’ve been in a car wreck.  Be sure to follow the Doc’s instructions and not to overdo it. 

Godspeed.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2023, 09:57:47 AM »
Good luck, Jim. I'm glad everything is going well so far. Take it slow and you'll be back in no time.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2023, 05:52:46 PM »
Glad you’re doing well Jim.  Incidentally, my son preps the prosthetics (parts) for hips, shoulders and knee surgeries.  He stands in the O.R. and uses a laser pointer to light up the parts that the surgeon calls out for the techs to retrieve.  He’s told me about how rough they are on the patients (as a matter of necessity).  Sledge hammers, slide hammers, big ‘ol drill bits, serious power tools...  It’s like carpentry on humans.  It’s no wonder patients come out of those surgeries feeling like they’ve been in a car wreck.  Be sure to follow the Doc’s instructions and not to overdo it. 

Godspeed.

I sure do have the bruising.  Heading to the doc tomorrow ahead of schedule as I have a very large water blister that's formed lower than the main incision.  Slightly yellowish but I'm think that's the stuff they wipe over the skin mixing with the fluid.  No pain or nothing like that.  The doc did call in some more antibiotic which I'll pick up tomorrow.

It's still feeling the pain and actually walking around without assistance with a cane.  Dumped the walker after the first day.  My wife has taken off this week to help assist with everything.  Couldn't have done it without her.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2023, 08:59:43 AM »
Thank God for the charity of women.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2023, 04:22:31 PM »
Yes as I'm not as nice as she is..  The blister had popped by the time we got to the doc today.  He wasn't too concerned over it.  Called it a fracture blister.  I'm more concerned over the 'open' wound and getting it infected.  Again, my wife is taking care of keeping that cleaned up.  They removed the stitches from the upper incision which involved a parallel piece of tape.  I think that they are called zipper stitches.  Took an x-ray of my hip and said everything looked perfect which is fine by me.

I'm a passenger right now and I have trouble getting into our low slung Prius.  Having trouble getting my right leg in.  Have to have my wife lift it up to get it into the car.  I've got to work on that.  The truck is totally out of the question at the moment.

Anyway, things are progressing positively.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2023, 07:56:53 PM »
Is there no way to cover the open blister wound?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »
Doc said clean it several times a day with half hydrogen Peroxide and water.  I've found over the years that covering something like this keeps it 'wetter'.  I want it to scab over or dry up.  I'm going to attempt to walk out of the house and go down to the end of the block and come back today.  Fairly flat.  One of the unintended consequences of this hip issue is that I've gained over 10 pounds from lack of activity.  If you don't hear from me in awhile I've fallen into the ditch and yelling 'I've fallen and can't get up!'  LOL   I am taking my cane along for support and most likely my wife will be with me in all seriousness.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2023, 10:28:21 AM »
Hi Jim...

I think you should seek the advice of a wound healing clinic. INOVA Wound Care clinics if needed.

Cleaning your wound several!!! times a day with peroxide is not a good idea. It prevents proper healing as it indiscriminately kills regenerative and immune cells plus good skin bacteria. You should only do that initially when the wound is dirty (or gets soiled again). Thereafter, use plain water (and soap). Or sterile normal saline solution (NSS) (and baby soap if needed).

You should initially use antimicrobial ointment and an absorbent, breathing gauze to cover the wound, then move to Vaseline + gauze then to medical grade silicone tape. Silicone tape does wonders for wound healing! Most people do not know this. Even some docs don't. Consult a proper doctor for timing of the silicone tapes. Can't be applied whenever.

My advice is worth the price you paid for it. $0.00. Or zero silver coins for the preppers amongst us who listens to the financial savant William Devane.

I believe you would get better advice from a post-op wound care clinic. Granted, I just became a so called doctor during Covid by listening to the other so called doctors giving advice on podcasts from their mother's basements. But having an elderly mom who has had diabetes since she was a teenager, I am very cognizant of any wounds on her and wound healing protocols. Diabetes and wounds are two dangerous combo.

And no drinking alcohol until everything heals down tight.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2023, 12:20:28 PM »
Your last sentence stopped me in my tracks...I can do all of the above but that..lol

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
I know. That's why I said it. Plus it is true! Last time I mentioned it, you were about to ban me. :)
But try just for a month. then get back to it!

Anyway, you are in good spirits! That is truly half the battle. Strong mind, strong body. I am happy to see you like this.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2023, 02:07:36 PM »
Overdid it a bit today on a walk outside with my wife.  Paying for it now.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2023, 03:37:57 PM »
I was told (by a practitioner) that wounds heal faster when they remain clean but moist/damp.  It still has to breathe, though, but that the tissue generation is faster when damp.  It also leaves less scarring.  Of course, I imagine it probably depends on the type and size of wound.  At my work, they spend a lot of time examining and treating and assessing lots of types of wounds.  Determining right amount of moisture is one of the challenges.  Also a lot of work is done with "wound vacs", keeping a slight negative pressure on certain types of deep wounds to speed healing.  Also, silver-infused dressings (silver is like a magic anti-bacterial).

I agree that using hydrogen peroxide/iodine/etc repeatedly will actually damage skin repair.

https://www.woundsource.com/blog/clearing-air-about-moist-vs-dry-wound-healing
https://woundeducators.com/wound-moisture-balance/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8568799/

As I usually say, consult with your practitioner :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2023, 06:23:29 PM »
Maxtog, your work is interesting, indeed. I'm always wanting to learn about wound healing for my mom.

Do you guys do any research on diabetic clotting disorders?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #215 on: December 20, 2023, 08:18:16 PM »
Maxtog, your work is interesting, indeed. I'm always wanting to learn about wound healing for my mom.

Do you guys do any research on diabetic clotting disorders?

Not really.  It is more about treatment by the wound care team, and also rehab.  We take in a lot of post-surgical patients.  A lot of them are knee/hip replacements.  Others include bedsores, back surgery, etc.

I am not clinical, myself, but working in healthcare for many decades, one picks up a LOT of information.  For example, nutrition is also very important for wound healing.

As for diabetes, I have seen the ravages of those who don't properly treat that disease.  It affects the whole body, and people not following proper treatment can end up with severe nerve damage, hearing loss, heart problems, and all kinds of amputations from poor circulation and lack of pain perception causing injury and poor healing.

As for infection control, I think I said it once before in a thread around here somewhere- I think the best thing going would be to put in HEPA filters and UV sterilizers in the HVAC systems of public buildings (not just healthcare settings).  Unlike the whole insane "face mask theater", which is not effective, HVAC system modifications could really make a very significant dent in transmission of viral and bacterial infections while also reducing allergens, odors, mold/mildew, and dust.  Plus they are completely passive, non-intrusive, and do not use much energy.  But there is expense to install and maintain.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2023, 08:01:43 AM »
Despite some medical info here, my wounds are healing quite nicely.  Did put some Neosporin on them this morning but I think it's a waste of time.  As far as leaving a wound moist that makes no sense to me at all.  With the blister I had and wounds similar to that I've found that putting something on it to 'crust' it up helps heal it faster.  In the past (I'm dating myself here) I've used Mercurochrome on the them to help seal them.  They healed much better.  I can't find the Mercurochrome I've used in the past, though.  The new stuff isn't as good.  My wife uses New Skin.  Her skin is 'delicate' in that it tears more easily compared to mine.  Her Dad had skin like that.  If she doesn't use it and just puts a bandaid over it they get infected.  This does not happen with New Skin.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2023, 09:01:07 AM »
Again Jim, best of luck. I was grateful to see Maxtog's links about wound healing. I had surgery on my ear a week ago for skin cancer. The doc took a 50 cent piece junk out of my ear and its going to have to heal from inside out  as no way to stitch it.  It's making me crazy not to be able to put a helmet on!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2023, 09:10:49 AM »
If you are healing well then keep doing what is working for you. Neosporin or bacitracin is good idea.

They say never to pop blisters. The light yellow blister "fluid" serum has a lot of healing cells floating around.

I have to concur with Maxtog, keeping it moist does help in healing faster than simply keeping it dry. Unless you have diabetes or a bleeding disorder. New cell growth in wounds happen from bottom up and edges inwards. Moisture helps the cells "crawl" faster.

Hydrophilic polymer and potassium ferrite used for drying wounds is available but not for everyone. I keep medical grade of that for my mom for emergencies not for would healing purposes.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2023, 09:12:14 AM »
Might be because it doesn't have mercury in it anymore! :)

Like my old mercury fillings. They are the best. One is almost 30 years old. The white ones are crap.

I can't find the Mercurochrome I've used in the past, though.  The new stuff isn't as good.