Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 7017 times)

Offline blue14

• Arena
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
The Wee pulls a hell of a wheelie.  :o
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
The Wee pulls a hell of a wheelie.  :o

The 1000 does. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:35 AM »

The 1000 does. ;)

Well even better :thumbs:
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
If it was the OP that said 98% road in a later post, the KLR shouldn't even be a consideration. I loved my wee but it didn't scare me like my Connie does. I'd look for a used wee as they can be had pretty cheap and they are so reliable and trouble free that maintenance isn't a concern. I still wish I had my wee at times but I just wasn't riding it while the Connie was so new and exciting.
I rode a KLR for an afternoon both on road and off. It was just tolerable on the road and it was a heavy pig offroad compared to my old DR350. Way too much work for real offroad riding.

My $.02
Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
Thanks Matt.  I am the OP.

Well here is the update:

New Wee ABS (not the Adventure)  Tags, tax, out the door $8000.00
Add accesories/farkles must haves for touring:  $1650.00
Insurance 1 year    ....(wait for it...>>>>get this>>)   $701.00     WT-Eff!!??!!
Total:                                                                            $10,351.00

I don't know why the insurance is so high other than what  my agent told me and she said that so many bikes on the road that the insurance companies hardly EVER part fix them,  they just total them all so it has run the colission costs way up...

I may have to really re-consider this....
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
I was paying barely $300 for my '06 wee and my Connie was only $61/year more than it. One of my buddies runs about $700 for his HD Ultra Classic but that is a whole lot more $$ than a wee.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
Paid $178 per year on my 1000 Vstrom, you are being ripped off.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Re: insurance rates

OUCH!  One problem is that many companies consider the 'Stroms to be sport bikes.  I guess "sport" and "dual sport" mean the same things to them.  I have Progressive, and pay $61/month for full coverage on both the 2003 Connie and the 2007 ABS Wee, which I consider excessive.  I am going to reduce that this summer.

Silvera:  If you don't mind, how about listing the farkles you are considering, maybe the collective can give you some cheaper options or help eliminate some that you may not really need (or worse yet, suggest some MORE that you really can't live without  ;D.)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »
Is there a special reason you are only looking at new?  The WeeStrom has been out for a while, and there s/b a number of excellent-condition, low-mileage units out there.  I would think you s/b able to put what you want together used for about half or less.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
Is there a special reason you are only looking at new?  The WeeStrom has been out for a while, and there s/b a number of excellent-condition, low-mileage units out there.  I would think you s/b able to put what you want together used for about half or less.

The new one is pretty sweet. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
Insurance:  I have a VERY VERY clean record....(read  no tickets ever and no claims)   She has been my insurance agent for 10 years.   She said it's all to do with the NC insurance regulations and the "totaled" bike "policy"    I am going to shop around on it and see what I find out.

Used Vs. New:   I have looked at a couple of used bikes and they have been trashed...I do have one I may look at a second time.

Farkles:  Well I pretty much know what I do and don't want/need... I'm versed in that pretty good but here is a short list.   Panniers and racks, top box (with brake light) and rack, mono key and rack locks (all Givi), center stand, hand guards, "crash" bars, Taller wind screen with adjustments, low driving lights, GPS, lowering links, either recut the seat or replace,  new tank bag, lift handle, extra chain, skid plate....(probably more I forgot)
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Offline Miss Silvera

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
Well I haven't done anything yet....Still thinking on it...my thought is if I wait till after the presidential election and Obama wins, then the value of the guns I want to finance this bike with will increase...if he dosen't win they will remain about that same as now...

still thinking... ::)
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
win gunfights

Son of Pappy

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
Since your desire is primarily road the Wee is indeed more capable, but, (you knew it was coming), with a few simple items the KLR is a great on road bike.  Tire selection and rear sprocket go a long way to making her a great DS.  I also prefer the '07 and down version.  The best power mod costs a mere .22cents!  The Doohickey?  Desireable, but IMO not a must do thing.  So easy to work on, so basic in design, lots of tractor like torque, and that gas tank is Huuuuge, read, lots of miles between fill ups.  Another thing I consider a must do, upgrade the front rotor to the 320 mm size, really transforms the braking.  A used KLR can be the deal of the century.

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/editorial/ultimate_adventure_bike.htm

V Strom adventure bike nearly crashes in in the snow

V Strom adventrue bike survives deep water

Heres a few links from I guy I work for on the "Strom!
So, it is a capable off road in the right hands, but ya gotta work it ;D