Author Topic: Take a look at my wood....  (Read 10354 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Take a look at my wood....
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »
Yep, sure is nice, huh?

That right there is six cords of hardwood, as delivered with care and love..... by the guy in the dumptruck.

Normally I just leave the wood in a heap (technical term) and bring it to the house one trailer load at a time, about 2,500 lbs. in the trailer, trailer on the porch (specifically built to bear extreme loads at vehicle track width; I drove my Expedition onto the floor before finishing the porch). But it is a pain digging through the leaves, debris, clumps of frozen wood, etc. to fill the trailer and the wood does not season well in a heap. As I hate unnessasary labor (shoveling snow, stacking firewood, and other temporary methods to use labor for absolutely no gain) I do not touch my wood (easy boys!) until it is on the way to the stove. But this year we are trying something new (to us): we are building one of these:

Sure you could say it was just a pile of stacked wood but I would say Nein! A thousand times Nein! That is a holz hausen. Das ist die vay day stack the vood in Deutchland..... it translates to 'round house' more or less. The folklore is that they will cure wood faster than any other method of natural seasoning. I don't really believe that but 1) it is cool looking. 2) it is self- supporting (no need for end braces). 3) it is robust and not likely to fall over 4) it takes up an amazingly small space. 5) it is easy to keep the wood 'corraled' so it does not spread and make a mess- I am tired of trying to blow those few pieces of firewood that 'escaped the pile' and finally: 6) it should make an outstanding house for snakes, spiders, rodents, wood chucks and all other manner of things that will surprise me over and over as I use the wood.

That one is the 'standard' German size, 10' in diameter and <should> be 8' high but I think I am going to top out at a little better than 6'. The back of that stack is at max. height but it is not finished. Once the top is level, the final layers go on bark- up and stack high in the center to give the pile a shed roof that is supposed to shed everything like rain, leaves and snow. The key to building one, as I understand it, is to have the entire ring of outer splits pitch 'in' or down toward the center. The whole pile is started on a ring of splits layed flat to jack the first ring of splits. After that, the rings tend to level out because the wood toward the middle makes a smaller circle than the outside.... so the occasional split across the outer edges of the ring is needed to keep the pitch going. I will have Kirby test it for korrect konstruction before I finish.

Believe it or not, there is somewhere around 3 cord of wood in that thing now and it should absorb at least one more to finish. The next ones will be smaller simply because making a round stack that diameter is a pain; I think the next ones will be more like 6 or 7 feet in diameter and the same height (7' diameter X 6' high with a flat top will take almost 2 cord of wood).

We would have finished that one today but the tractor cart tires are so old and tired (!) and the sidewalls are leaking so badly that I had to put air in one of them every single trip by the end. Off to buy new tires tomorrow and continue down ze path of eigen vectors of wood stacking.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Take a look at my wood....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »
Very nice wood.  I never thought about the round style pile.  I had a giant maple brought down in 1012, so I got to cut, split, and stack it all my ownself.

pics below

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »
Is that the spouse doing all the work?  How did you manage that one?  That still looks like a lot of work and an awful lot of wood.  Very nice!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:32:13 AM »

You'll have to let us know if the round houses work better than heaping.

For the artistic side of stacking wood -
http://wvfirewood.ning.com/profiles/blogs/firewood-stacking-is-not-just-a-science-it-s-an-art

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:21:14 AM »
snip...

Sure you could say it was just a pile of stacked wood but I would say Nein! A thousand times Nein! That is a holz hausen. Das ist die vay day stack the vood in Deutchland..... it translates to 'round house' more or less. The folklore is that they will cure wood faster than any other method of natural seasoning. I don't really believe that but 1) it is cool looking. 2) it is self- supporting (no need for end braces). 3) it is robust and not likely to fall over 4) it takes up an amazingly small space. 5) it is easy to keep the wood 'corraled' so it does not spread and make a mess- I am tired of trying to blow those few pieces of firewood that 'escaped the pile' and finally: 6) it should make an outstanding house for snakes, spiders, rodents, wood chucks and all other manner of things that will surprise me over and over as I use the wood.

Brian

Blowing escaped wood?  :o

ZZ Top - Woke up with wood
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:09:23 AM »
Yep, that is my wife, Andrea. And yes, she is busily stacking / throwing / moving wood there. She works harder than I do and will do or help with anything I have attempted for 31 years. She has been under the backhoe [holding something / reporting on what is happening, whatever], on the roof rolling out roll roofing with me to cover the shed, mixed concrete, wallowed in floor leveler and everything else we have done.

So like the old French Knight said "You must choose wisely". Then again, I had no idea things would turn out like this when we got married- I was more interested in her ****. Hey, I was jess' a kid. And she still has nice ****.

And yeah, it is a fair amount of work. Less strenuous than cutting and splitting the stuff (the old way, with wedges and a sledge) but more work than humans should have to do when it leaves nothing behind- in three years, that wood will be gone. I would love to find / rent / buy a conveyor to take the heavy work off us but they are a bit expensive and especially, what do you do with a 20' + conveyor that sticks up in the air the rest of the year?

Brian

Is that the spouse doing all the work?  How did you manage that one?  That still looks like a lot of work and an awful lot of wood.  Very nice!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:12:24 AM »
I would love to find / rent / buy a conveyor to take the heavy work off us but they are a bit expensive and especially, what do you do with a 20' + conveyor that sticks up in the air the rest of the year?

Brian

Anything you want to...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
This would make a pile of wood in a hurry! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TQBSyWTpfM
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
interesting concept there B, I kinda like it being a wood subsistant kinda dude myself.

I will comment though, I did stack wood in a manner similar, with half split rounds, on end, and every bit of that wood sucked up moisture half it's length... and everything in contact with the ground will do the same. looks like pretty near a half chord of wood's gonna be gooey with that end thing setup.

I am a "pallet hoarder", and make sure all my wood is up off the ground, I hate rotten wood, that I paid for... :o
The wood I had sitting on a concrete pad last year, covered with a tarp, was totally invaded by carpenter ants... they love wet covered places. ::)
I might try the roundhouse this year, but I'll make sure its suspended above the ground. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
Yeah, true enough about the wood drawing moisture up from the ground. The ground under that pile is substantially pitched though and I am hoping against logic that water will not stay under the pile long enough to draw too much up into each split. I know that is not logical though and I will probably end up re- stacking the last 'ring' of wood in that pile and letting it dry another year.... but that will be next year or the year after. If that wood rots before I get to it, so be it and a good lesson learned.

I am off this week to buy a few pallets to do the exact thing you do- and the next two or three holz hausens will not only sit on pallets, but they will be far smaller in diameter. That 10' circle was a PIA to keep working around. The next ones will be 6 or 7 (absolute max.!) feet in diameter by about 6 feet tall; they will still hold more than a cord of wood but I want to be able to build the pile without having to toss wood for 8 feet :-( 

And then I am going to cover at least the tops in clear plastic to make a solar heated affair- sort of like a poor man's greenhouse. I think I will cover the top 3/4 of the entire pile and see how that goes. With a foot or larger hole in the middle of the plastic, it should create a chimney effect and exhaust a lot of water from the drying wood.

I agree completely about having wood rot- firewood is no longer cheap either. And I suspect the prices may rise in the next couple of years with increased demand and increasing fuel prices. Double :-(

Brian

interesting concept there B, I kinda like it being a wood subsistant kinda dude myself.

I will comment though, I did stack wood in a manner similar, with half split rounds, on end, and every bit of that wood sucked up moisture half it's length... and everything in contact with the ground will do the same. looks like pretty near a half chord of wood's gonna be gooey with that end thing setup.

I am a "pallet hoarder", and make sure all my wood is up off the ground, I hate rotten wood, that I paid for... :o
The wood I had sitting on a concrete pad last year, covered with a tarp, was totally invaded by carpenter ants... they love wet covered places. ::)
I might try the roundhouse this year, but I'll make sure its suspended above the ground. ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
you shouldn't have to BUY pallets from anyone, hell most large corporations would be glad you take them. We manufacture our own pallets for equipment, and that is a big bonus for me, as I fuill my truck constantly with dried hardwood plank cuttoffs... it's really sweet, been burning that stuff since my wood dude ran out mid January.
 I plann to keep bringing home a pickup truck load a week, (about 600#+) for the ramainder of the year, and stack it in the roundhouse manner you did.
4 4x4 foot pallets will yield me nice 8 ft diameter piles, stacked tight, and I cant wait to get them going, I bought 2 full chords this year, and went thru it before january, I still am burning hardwood boards from work, and for the space it takes up find it superior to anything else.
check around for large manufacturing plants near you, they would be glad for you to take away pallets... and you can be very selective in what you take, get good solid ones, with robust construction...

we actually pay a company to take away our junk (incoming) pallets... go figure ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »
Yeah I know about the pallet thingy but there is a pallet manufacturer about 2 miles from here and I will just bite the bullet and be done with it. Besides, I may get some for free 'cause they usually have a stack of irregulars.

Funny story (kind of): I burned pallet rail blocks for years. Cut a deal with a pallet mfg., bought a pair of 4' cube wire cages that folded down, rigged four lifting cables to each of them and arranged to buy the stub ends filled in each one for $15. They put the baskets on the ends of the machines that cut the rails and the stubs were just conveyed into the baskets. When a basket was full, they would use a fork truck to load the full basket onto my trailer and off I went. When I got home, I took the four choke cables and used them to lift the basket with my backhoe to the top of the wood pile and then open the front. Made some mighty high stacks of wood. That system worked so well, I actually build a stove to burn them: top loading, small door (inside a very large door) and a lot of capacity (nearly 10 cu. ft.) 'cause the blocks did not 'stack' well. The whole thing worked like a well- greased machine..... right up until the pallet mfg. burned down. Now I am using cordwood, about 4 cord / year, and thinking about a new stove as the one I am using is not ideal for cord wood.

Brian

you shouldn't have to BUY pallets from anyone, hell most large corporations would be glad you take them. We manufacture our own pallets for equipment, and that is a big bonus for me, as I fuill my truck constantly with dried hardwood plank cuttoffs... it's really sweet, been burning that stuff since my wood dude ran out mid January.
 I plann to keep bringing home a pickup truck load a week, (about 600#+) for the ramainder of the year, and stack it in the roundhouse manner you did.
4 4x4 foot pallets will yield me nice 8 ft diameter piles, stacked tight, and I cant wait to get them going, I bought 2 full chords this year, and went thru it before january, I still am burning hardwood boards from work, and for the space it takes up find it superior to anything else.
check around for large manufacturing plants near you, they would be glad for you to take away pallets... and you can be very selective in what you take, get good solid ones, with robust construction...

we actually pay a company to take away our junk (incoming) pallets... go figure ::)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »
What could be better than a holz hausen? Why zwei holz hausens of course!

Put the second one on pallets and made it quite a bit smaller- 80 inches on the narrow side and something like 90 inches on the wide side. Also stacked all the wood in the center standing up in this one- three rows so far. I believe this will dry the wood somewhat faster than just throwing it in in a heap and I intend on burning all the wood from this one, and more, next year.

Not sure how much wood I have left (hey, who is ever sure how much wood he has left?) but the third one may be pretty short. :-) Running out of the six cord I started with this year.

Even thinking of a new way to turn that wood into ash. I have a deposit on a new design in beta right now (well, over the winter) and it looks very promising. Entirely made the the US of A too, which is not a bad thing.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
And finally, dri holz hausens.

Next year's wood all put up for storage and seasoning.

Brian

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »
Nice work...but still waiting for those eigen vectors. 

Clearly three different sets, as the form factors are not identical.

Recommend polar coordinates.  Extra credit for Cartesian or spherical...

saxman

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
What, no love for polar coordinates? :'(

As for the Eigen values, I claim they may not be calculable due to too many variables: Yep, I claim the Butterfly Effect as my excuse!  :-)

I do have a moisture meter on the way though. Not really convinced that they are useful either (too many variables) but hey, anything with two pointy probes  (easy boys!) can't be all bad, right? Like a kid with a new toy, I'll probably be probing everything for a while (Boys! Down!).

Brian

Nice work...but still waiting for those eigen vectors. 

Clearly three different sets, as the form factors are not identical.

Recommend polar coordinates.  Extra credit for Cartesian or spherical...

saxman

Offline Cuda

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
My heat  turned on two days  last winter , My air conditioner runs about 350 days a year, my electric bill is always below $200.00 If I was single it would be less than $100.00 .
I did own a house (my first) on Fairhaven Bay , lake Ontario  1978 ALL electric two story , all windows facing the water,  the first thing I did was call my dad and had him close up the fireplace and install  a air tight stove  dual burn technology , more better ;).
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver