Author Topic: My First Dealer Installed Tire (Wheel Off Bike)  (Read 2972 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

My First Dealer Installed Tire (Wheel Off Bike)
« on: June 30, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
My 2008 Connie is the first tubeless tire motorcycle I have owned that needed a new tire. (Picked up a large sheet metal screw)

I have also decided, at this time, to NOT look into setting up my garage to be able to change the tires myself.

As my local Kawasaki Dealer will mount and balance any tire they sell for "free" (as long as the Wheel is off the bike) so .. I pulled the wheel and dropped the wheel at the Dealer and I should have it back Friday. (Fingers crossed the PR2 is delivered soon given the back order on the PR3)

Questions:

Do you cover the wheel bearings on the wheel / and rear drive on the bike if you have to remove the wheel for a day or so?

I used some painters blue tape and rags for the rear drive and paper towels and painters blue tape for the wheel and thought to ask the group what if anything do you do ...

Photos Attached: If nothing else a few laughs about the over kill I went through ....

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: My First Dealer Installed Tire (Wheel Off Bike)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
Man, that is one mean mofo looking dog! Your bike should be safe. And the blue tape can't hurt.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »
You are good.  What you did is great.  I might suggest taking the rotor off...just in case they accidentally wrap/damage it. 
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
You are good.  What you did is great.  I might suggest taking the rotor off...just in case they accidentally wrap/damage it.

IRULE

Thanks for the thoughts

I did not think to remove the rotor. I did think about removing the wheel bearings / spacers. I already left the wheel at the dealer so I hope it does not get damaged.

Do dealers remove the rotor when changing tires?

Is it hard to remove the rotor?

Brent

BTW Daisy (the guard dog) is one mean 19 lbs ...  1.6 year old alpha bitch

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:45:41 AM »
I doubt they remove the rotors... I don't... but I'm also really careful around them.  ;)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:08:18 AM »
When I need a new tyre I take it to a local tyre place (Universal Tyres @ Billericay).
I phone a day before to check that they have one in stock (if they don't then they get one in for the next day).
I take the wheel(s) off and drive over there.
Approx 30 mins after arriving I pay the man, put the wheel(s) in the car and drive home.

The first time I took the 1400 wheels in for new tyres the guy said "These have tyre pressure sensors don't they? I'll be careful not to damage them"
He rides himself (currently a GSXR750) and keeps up with all the latest bike news.
They do more business with bikes than any other tyre place I know.
Good knowledge and exceptional service pays off. I go there for my car tyres too.

Price is all inclusive, tyre, new valve core, dynamic balancing and includes warranty replacement of tyre if in first 1000miles you get a puncture or there is a problem with the tyre.
They are not the cheapest but are pretty competitive.
I paid 260UK Pounds ($416US) for both PR3s. I can get them online for about £220 but would have to fit them myself.

You have to wait for the dealer to fit the tyre? That would P**S me off.  ;)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
Your final drive should be safe, as long as Daisy doesn't hike a leg over it (shouldn't be a problem if Daisy is a girl).

You could probably get away with wrapping an old tee-shirt around it next time though.  The tape does seem overkill, but then we don't know what goes on in your garage either.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »
[cue theme music from "JAWS"]

"We're going to need a bigger DOG . . ."

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
Daisy (the dog) is a alpha bitch female jack russell terrier. If you are not part of her pack you are not safe ....  ;)   

Local Dealer did not have tire in stock and ordered it Wednesday for Delivery Friday ( Today  ;D ).

I left the wheel at the Dealer on Thursday to help speed the process as the PR2 may come in sometime between 1 - 3 PM.

Fingers crossed as weather is great here in the Bay Area .....

Offline Fretka

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
Wipe the rear rotor down with acetone before riding the bike (don't get the acetone on any painted surface).
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
I use Spray Brake Clean (RED CAN) on the rotor. Acetone works well but I like a spray can. I like to use 80 grit emery cloth on the rotor.

~ $200 for a PR2 installed and balances (Includes tax and CA tire recycle fee)

Fremont Honda Kawasaki