Author Topic: '08 Connie Burned my inside thighs after 45 minutes in 95° TX heat  (Read 15700 times)

Offline Zixxer10r

I was wearing cotton slacks from work, running about 80mph down the highway, i didn't stop for any traffic at all on the way home and the engine didn't indicate any overheating whatsoever.  This bike supposedly in perfect working order, i just bought it used last Thursday from the dealership. 

The area where my knees make contact with just below the tank were 1st degree burns for sure, and that was THROUGH my pants.  When i got home i took care of it all, and let the bike cool down for 2.5 hours before thinking to take a temp reading... 102° at the spot where it burned my legs.

Has anyone else ran into this?  I'm aware of the ankle burning issue, and that fix is supposed to be on it's was from Zteve any day now, this was not the same issue. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: '08 Connie Burned my inside thighs after 45 minutes in 95° TX heat
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
Helps to keep the tank full.
Some have applied heat reflective foil to the underside of the gas tank.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
If you ride it backwards, you will have matching burns on each side and non one will be the wiser...

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
Helps to keep the tank full.
Some have applied heat reflective foil to the underside of the gas tank.

Tank was completely full...i'm basically of the opinion that if the bike is going to burn me then the dealership get's to reverse the transaction and sell me another bike. 

Offline jayke

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
You shoulda bought a '10 ;)

Try adding a self adhesive automotive heat barrier under the seat and gas tank.  Tank bra might help too.  A full tank of gas helps too.

If it's really hot, I don't ride.  I have got the Zteve panels, self adhesive automotive heat barrier under the seat and gas tank and a sheepskin on top of the seat.  It's much better now.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
I ride with proper overpants when it's hot... that extra layer helps... well, I rider with proper overpants most the time.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
Like said they made changes in 10
I have a 11 but live in south Fl. So I bought used ZX headers ,removed the Cats,  wraped the exhaust headers  with that two inch exhaust material,  added dual two brothers mufflers and Tech Spec tank grips, NO more heat . Mine never got hot just warm but that was bad enough.
Good luck jj
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
When I first got the bike, I did experience heat issues. But now, not sure if I gotten used to it or if the engine running more efficiently, the heat is very manageable. I do not ride much on dress pants - mostly jeans or cargo. But yes, the area you are referring to, does get hot during a hot day. I have not been burnt by it though.

Zsteve's foam pieces help . I came up with my own solution to block the gap between the fairing and the engine on the right side. I just cut a piece of tractor rubber belt and shoved it in there. It helps block any heat radiating from there (one of the things that got fixed in '10 model).
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline W14

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »
I have an 09 and the tank is extremely hot in very hot weather, even with the tank grips. I have always felt that the tank heat was worse than the heat on the ankles. A fresh refill helps a lot. At a minimum, you should were jeans or motorcycle pants, never street pants or shorts (for safety and protection against the heat). Much as I don't ride in the rain (unless I get caught), I try not to ride when temperatures are above 85 degrees or below 32 degrees; again, unless I have to. At those temperatures, the fun factor from riding is just not there and riding becomes a chore was than fun.

By the way, heat is just not an issue with the C14. I previous bike was a Suzuki M90 cruiser. In 90 degree weather, riding the bike was miserable, with heat coming from the engine and road. Other bikers look cool when they are riding in the heat but it is not for me.

Offline texrider

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
Here's a good read; http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9062.0

I ride in DFW heat with slacks and shoes quite often, with little to no heat discomfort.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »
I ride in Ohio at 85 and higher all the time, no heat issues at all.....of course no riding in slacks for me either. ;) 
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:11 AM »
It's possible the internal stock deflectors are out of position.  Some have heat output issues with the 08/09s, unfortunately.  My bike toasted me when I first bought it in the the summer of 07 (caught in a traffic jam in Asheville, NC).  But Fall was close and I put about 10k on it before next summer arrived.  By then the heat had lessened considerably.  I associated the initial toasting with it being new.  It never got unbearable whilst riding at speed, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »
The highest temp I've had my 08 in was 105 degrees. The tank was HOT, but nothing that would have burned.  Annoying, for sure but It was not, and I dont feel like it would have been dangerous.

I did add some silver insulation under the tank, and it helped, as did insulating the small panal on the right side thats easy to remove. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:16 AM »
Adding a full exhaust (no cats), ZSteve's heat shields, silver reflective sheet under the tank, and TechSpec tank grips make heat almost a zero issue for me.  Yes my 2008 feels warm when the weather is hot but it is definitely nothing that is unbearable.  My thermometer read 110 F yesterday and I felt fine [little warm].  You have a 150+ hp motor between your legs, it is gonna put out some heat, you just have to see what works for you to mitigate the effects.

Another thing I might suggest is totally removing the lower fairing foam shields.  I did this last summer and the hot air hit my leather boots and lower legs where there is more material to block the heat instead of just one layer of from the knee up.  It seriously made the tank cooler.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
Adding a full exhaust (no cats), ZSteve's heat shields, silver reflective sheet under the tank, and TechSpec tank grips make heat almost a zero issue for me.  Yes my 2008 feels warm when the weather is hot but it is definitely nothing that is unbearable.  My thermometer read 110 F yesterday and I felt fine [little warm].  You have a 150+ hp motor between your legs, it is gonna put out some heat, you just have to see what works for you to mitigate the effects.

Another thing I might suggest is totally removing the lower fairing foam shields.  I did this last summer and the hot air hit my leather boots and lower legs where there is more material to block the heat instead of just one layer of from the knee up.  It seriously made the tank cooler.
+10

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
I have an 09 and the tank is extremely hot in very hot weather, even with the tank grips. I have always felt that the tank heat was worse than the heat on the ankles. A fresh refill helps a lot. At a minimum, you should were jeans or motorcycle pants, never street pants or shorts (for safety and protection against the heat). Much as I don't ride in the rain (unless I get caught), I try not to ride when temperatures are above 85 degrees or below 32 degrees; again, unless I have to. At those temperatures, the fun factor from riding is just not there and riding becomes a chore was than fun.

By the way, heat is just not an issue with the C14. I previous bike was a Suzuki M90 cruiser. In 90 degree weather, riding the bike was miserable, with heat coming from the engine and road. Other bikers look cool when they are riding in the heat but it is not for me.

I should have pointed out that my "slacks" are just khaki denim-weight material.  I wouldn't ride a motorcycle in less weight than that, for the same reasons you mention.  My biggest problem is that i had a full tank of gas and it was still scorching hot, and it wasn't even that hot in the grand scheme of things.  The only reason I was riding at all was because i just got the bike and i wanted to get to know her.  It seems silly to me to have just bought a motorcycle and to not ride it for 3 months until it gets bearable outside again. 

Aside from ME spending a ton of money on things to fix a problem that seems to be a fundamental flaw, i suppose i have no other recourse. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
If you are interested in fixing the problem and want to keep your C14 you don't have to spend a bunch of money.  A huge improvement can be had for around $10 by just installing the silver reflective material (you can use the windshield version or the automotive sound/heat blocker) under the tank and removing the stock foam pieces in the lower fairing.  The hot air will exit the fairing easier leading to less heat soak around the tank.  You will feel more heat around your lower right leg, but good boots should protect you from that.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
Lot of good advice here. Seems the OP can try some of the suggestions or..                       

Tank was completely full...i'm basically of the opinion that if the bike is going to burn me then the dealership get's to reverse the transaction and sell me another bike.

Offline Zixxer10r

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
I'll have to see what the dealership says after they take a look at the bike, i suspect they'll find "nothing" out of the ordinary.  The 1.5 days I had with the bike were great, it's a wonderfully smooth and quick machine.  It's not that i don't want to keep the bike, or try to make improvements to make it better, but i did just pay a ton of money for it and to immediately need modification to make it bearable when the weather gets warm is a bit of a ridiculous situation to be in.  Most of you posters talk about how after 85° you don't enjoy riding all that much on this machine without modifications to cool it down...i'd say the yearly average temp here in TX is at that point or just below it. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
Aside from ME spending a ton of money on things to fix a problem that seems to be a fundamental flaw, i suppose i have no other recourse.

You did do some research on this bike before you bought it, didn't you?  If I was in the market for one of these and saw posts about heat, I think I would have gone with a 2010 on up rather than the 08/09 models.  We have lots of members that ask many questions before they buy or not.

Don't get me wrong.  I feel for you and if you want to take the bike back then hopefully the dealer will work with you.  If not, your stuck selling it yourself if that's what you want to do.  How many miles on it?  I take it this isn't a new bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.