Author Topic: Vibration and buzzing fixes  (Read 7593 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Vibration and buzzing fixes
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
I want this thread to be a repository of member based or anecdotal  'fixes' found on the 'net through searching or personal experience.  This is not going to be a thread on individual 'How do I fix this vibration?' questions.  New threads need to be started for that or append to threads already in existence.

I want a quick and easy place to find fixes for this rather irksome problem...  I'm open to suggestions as to how this should be formatted as well.

So to begin...

Easy fixes

• Try using higher octane gas if you are using 89 or even 87
  • Make sure the header nuts are tightened
  • Check the exhaust mounting points (my vibrations increased with the addition of the Area P exhaust system)
  • Washers between the bar end weights (still being fleshed out)
  • 10+ models, throttle vibration fix http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2496.msg41888#msg41888
  • Change your oil, change from standard oil to synthetic branded
  • Check for loose fasteners
Somewhat more complex fixes

• Check the adjustment of the crankshaft balancers
  • Valve adjustment
  • Throttle bodies adjustment
Per the manual (08) for 'Handlebar shakes or excessively vibraties'
Dash buzzing
  • A piece of thin foam rubber between the top of the instrument cluster and the cowling piece above it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:38:07 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Beamer

Re: Vibration and buzzing fixes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:44:38 AM »
My bike has "buzzed" since day 1, with the noise always coming from the plastic behind / around the dash. I just routinely tighten all the allen headed hardware on the fairing and the buzz goes away for a few hundred miles.

Noise is not brought about by suspension or drive-train problems as one can start he bike cold, let it warm up, and not even be moving and it "buzzes" in the 3500-6000 RPM range.

Really it is the only complaint about the bike I myself have.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »
Dash buzzing: A piece of thin foam rubber between the top of the instrument cluster and the cowling piece above it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:27:40 PM by gPink »

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
Dash buzzing: A piece of thin foam rubber between the top of the instrument cluster and the cowling piece above it.

Man, I got a dash buzzing at 2900+ rpms...sounds like plastic on plastic, but I can't seem to push on anything to make it stop, so I'm having trouble locating it.  Can you post a pic of where you put the foam?  I'll try anything... it's the ONLY thing annoying about this bike, and it's minor - I don't hear it with the face-shield down...but I know it's there.  :)

Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
Try pressing on the lower to middle right side of the tach.  I am planning on installing the foam rubber ASAP.

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
Try pressing on the lower to middle right side of the tach.  I am planning on installing the foam rubber ASAP.

GOT IT!  Thanks so much!  Now I need to "fix it", but at least we've located it.  Just pushing it made it go away...maybe I can wedge a piece of double-sided sticky tape in there.
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture