Author Topic: Info for Rotella Lovers  (Read 18106 times)

Offline ZedHed

Info for Rotella Lovers
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »
For those of you that think Rotella T 15w-40 is good oil for the C-14, this link may change your minds.  This link is to a used oil analysis of Rotella T 15w-40 after 4000 miles in a C14.  The oil has sheared down to nearly a 20 weight just as I suspected it would.  It also shows that the C14 is VERY hard on oil -- probably because of the driveshaft output gears and the shared oil transmission.  Data indicates that the RTS T-6 5w-40 would fare just as badly.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2441506&page=1
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Info for Rotella Lovers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
 ::) .......and yet nobody, yes nobody has had any kind of premature wear issues or engines problems whatsover and at all from using it. BOBISTHEOILGUY website is full of a bunch of lunatics, they have serious issues worrying so much about oil. How about we run a C14 for 100k on Rotella 15W40 and we crack open the case, I am betting it will still look like new. PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
::) .......and yet nobody, yes nobody has had any kind of premature wear issues or engines problems whatsover and at all from using it. BOBISTHEOILGUY website is full of a bunch of lunatics, they have serious issues worrying so much about oil. How about we run a C14 for 100k on Rotella 15W40 and we crack open the case, I am betting it will still look like new. PARANOIA WILL DESTROY YA!!!!!

What he said :stirpot:
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
Almost forgot  :popcorn:
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
By the way.......I run that exact oil, so I will report back my results at 100K.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Just curious but did you read the thread at the link you posted? Sure the Rotella lost viscosity but what is the norm. or average? In fact some of the other posters said that other 10W-40 weight oils show about the same viscosity after a bit of use in a motorcycle. Also, did you notice the gasoline content in the second sample? That alone will thin any oil regardless of the base weight.

The quality or suitability of Rotella mineral oil to be used in a C-14 aside, that link does not show anything definitive because there is no comparison to other oils. Again, the only way an oil can really be measured is compared with other oils because all oil will pick up contaminates, thin down and lose additives; the only real question is which oil performs better than the average, or better yet, which oil performs best.

Brian

For those of you that think Rotella T 15w-40 is good oil for the C-14, this link may change your minds.  This link is to a used oil analysis of Rotella T 15w-40 after 4000 miles in a C14.  The oil has sheared down to nearly a 20 weight just as I suspected it would.  It also shows that the C14 is VERY hard on oil -- probably because of the driveshaft output gears and the shared oil transmission.  Data indicates that the RTS T-6 5w-40 would fare just as badly.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2441506&page=1
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
You'll never make it.... In fact, I think your engine is probably worn out already.

;D

Brian

By the way.......I run that exact oil, so I will report back my results at 100K.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »

Whatsa matter?  Don't like the truth? 

How many high-mileage C14 engines have you had your hands in? Yeah, right -- just like I thought... When you get some engine-building experience, feel free to comment further.......

The C14 engine is a very high-output engine in addition to having the extra complexity of the drive system.  Racers don't use tractor oil in their engines and neither should you.  It doesn't even have the high levels of ZDDP anymore -- useless !!

Me?  I'll continue to use Maxima Extra 15w-50 Synthetic and smilin' all the way

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Whatsa matter?  Don't like the truth? 

How many high-mileage C14 engines have you had your hands in? Yeah, right -- just like I thought... When you get some engine-building experience, feel free to comment further.......

The C14 engine is a very high-output engine in addition to having the extra complexity of the drive system.  Racers don't use tractor oil in their engines and neither should you.  It doesn't even have the high levels of ZDDP anymore -- useless !!

Me?  I'll continue to use Maxima Extra 15w-50 Synthetic and smilin' all the way

OK Mr. Sheeple.......keep blowing your wad on that gourmet oil, the companies love ya for it. My C14 will be running just as long if not longer than yours, except I will have a considerable amount more in my wallet. And I guarantee a truck or heavy equipment runs much harder than a C14 does. Oh and I am not a racer......and neither are you! And when you get some common sense, feel free to comment further.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
I love oil threads just for their entertainment value.   That being said I have to chime in on this one to defend "tractor oil".

I guarantee the R&D spent on tractors is many many times greater than motorcycles.  I've run many agricultural engines without any oil related issues for many years.  My favorite oil is Rotella dino.  The abuse that ag engines endure is incredible compared to bikes.  Granted they don't share with the tranny but replacement of tranny oil is measured in thousands of hours so I really doubt that the C14 tranny destroys oil that fast. 
I use rotella synth in my connie and have every confidence in it's protective capabilities.

One of my favorite things about oil threads is the guys changing oil in the fall when they put their bike away then again in the spring when they take it out again.  Does this make any sense to them?  Unless you ride a Harley and go out to the garage and start your bike every day just to hear it fart, what could possibly have changed since you put the bike away?  Talk about wasting money and resources.

Anyway, carry on with this thread, I'm gonna go get a beer.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
I understand both sides, but some how, some way, there are gang load of people using Rotella!  I know people with Goldwings, BMWs, Honda ST and lot of us using Rotella.  I have yet heard anything bad about the oil...

I would love to use a $11/qt oil everytime, but man that's a lot of money!  I am sure those expensive oil are better, but I'm just stick with Rotella!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:56:22 PM by IRULE »
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
I understand both sides, but so how, so way, there are gang load of people using Rotella!  I know people with Goldwings, BMWs, Honda ST and lot of us using Rotella.  I have yet heard anything bad about the oil...

I would love to use a $11/qt oil everytime, but man that's a lot of money! I am sure those expensive oil are better, but I'm just stick with Rotella!

Don't be so sure about that. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »
Love me some syn Rotella
Jeff

Offline momo65

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:11:43 AM »
Relax Relax, use the oil you want, at the end it is your motorcycle. peace people

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
Relax Relax, use the oil you want, at the end it is your motorcycle. peace people

As long as there are more than 2 companies making motorcycles, oil and tires we will see this type of behavior.

I have been known to get on my soapbox for the same type of insignificant personal issues until I came to realize exactly what you said above.
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »
For those of you that don't think Rotella will protect your motor, go ahead and buy the synthetic that is made from unicorn tears and the sweat of 400 virgins. I'll stick with 2,000-3,000 mile intervals with my Rotella, and we will all still throw each other the wave when we pass out on the road.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:44 AM »
I think the Rotella protects and have had several clutch companies recommend rotella.  What I dont like is shifting. I feel like its very notchy and causes several false neutrals to show up.  Its nto so bad on the c14 (but not good) but is awful in my sv 650 and yz 250.  I feel like regular cheap, dyno motorcycle oil from pep boys shifts better.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:10:04 AM »
I understand both sides, but some how, some way, there are gang load of people using Rotella!  I know people with Goldwings, BMWs, Honda ST and lot of us using Rotella.  I have yet heard anything bad about the oil...

I would love to use a $11/qt oil everytime, but man that's a lot of money!  I am sure those expensive oil are better, but I'm just stick with Rotella!

Look folks, I'm not saying that Rotella is a "bad" oil -- it's not.  It is just not a good oil for the C-14 engine.  The Goldwing engine has been shown to be very easy on oil, it doesn't shear the oil badly or have lots of contaminants.  The C14 UOAs are showing lots of oil shear and fuel contamination which is not good for oil life.  My contention is that the C14 engine needs a very robust oil to even begin to use Kawasaki's 7500 mile OCI recommendation.  The best way to analyze how any oil is holding up in an engine is to have an oil analysis done which is what that link was to show. 

Even the truckers who use Rotella do oil analysis on their oil..........

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
I switched to and am currently running the mentioned rotella. I've noticed a hard bump when shifting gears. Other then that seems to be ok, but I am going to try Castrol "power RS racing 4T 10W-40 full synthetic"  at the 7500 mile change. After owning 16 different bikes over the years I've learned that finding the right oil for your bike that feels right to YOU is what you end up sticking with in that particular bike. I've always went through several different oils in all of my bikes until I found the one that performed the best in that bike.
 Sometimes it does'nt have to cost alot or have a big brand name, it's what you feel comfortable with. My last Harley performed best on Mobil one V twin synthetic. Cost was high, but it performed the best for that bike.