Author Topic: Continental tires  (Read 7248 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Continental tires
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
Has anyone run the Continental Conti-Motion sport touring tires yet? They're about 60% of the cost of the Michelin PR3 and about 65% of the cost of the Perelli Angels. I believe that a buddy has them on his BMW K1300S, but he's out of town and I can't ask to make sure.

Something to think about, especially if you're concerned with $/mile in tire cost.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/motorcycletires/sport_touring/contimotion/contimotion_en.html
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Continental tires
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
Has anyone run the Continental Conti-Motion sport touring tires yet? They're about 60% of the cost of the Michelin PR3 and about 65% of the cost of the Perelli Angels. Something to think about, especially if you're concerned with $/mile in tire cost.

Any motorcycle tire will be better than a car tire!!!!

[Maxtog ducks]
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:45:22 PM »
They don't last long. I only got 4k outta a  rear, and that was till the cords. However, they did grip well and were pretty linear from shoulder to shoulder.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
After looking at their website, I now believe that my buddy's Beemer has the Conti-Attack rather than the Conti-Motion.

Denver, how many miles did you get out of the OEM, just for comparison?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
I also tried the Conti Motion rear and had cord showing at 4000 miles.  Same result as the OEM Bridgestones, for comparison.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
After looking at their website, I now believe that my buddy's Beemer has the Conti-Attack rather than the Conti-Motion.

Denver, how many miles did you get out of the OEM, just for comparison?
I got rid of the 'stones at 3800 because the front was toast. I think I could have gotten about 5 outta the rear. I got about 5 outta an Angel, and my current tire (PR3) I get close to 9 outta the front and 7 outta the rear.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:24 AM »
I ran 2 sets of the Conti Motions on my C14 and the front tires wear great -- they last about 6000 miles and no cupping or irregular wear.  BUT, the rear tire is another story -- the Conti Motion rear tire barely made it to 4000 miles before the cord was showing.  I found them to handle about on par with the OEM Bridgestones without the front cupping issue. Sticky enough for aggressive riding.  If a person wanted to save money then buy the Conti front tire and the OEM back tire and you would be set -- provided you could mentally tolerate riding on mismatched tires.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
I ran 2 sets of the Conti Motions on my C14 and the front tires wear great -- they last about 6000 miles and no cupping or irregular wear.  BUT, the rear tire is another story -- the Conti Motion rear tire barely made it to 4000 miles before the cord was showing.  I found them to handle about on par with the OEM Bridgestones without the front cupping issue. Sticky enough for aggressive riding.  If a person wanted to save money then buy the Conti front tire and the OEM back tire and you would be set -- provided you could mentally tolerate riding on mismatched tires.
I rode on a Angel rear and PR3 front and didn't notice any change in performance. Then I changed to PR3 front and back and that's the way I'm keeping it.

Offline AftonJay

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:13:50 AM »
I currently have a set on my 09.  I put them on last summer and they had about 2400 miles on them when i put it away for winter.  Both seem to be wearing very well, no flat spot in the rear yet and the front has not shown any signs of cupping.  That is pretty good for my riding because my 30 mile ride to work that makes up the majority of my riding is all arrow straight country highway. 

Offline strester

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »
I had a set of the conti motions on a FZ1, they lasted 4kish. When they are worn CHANGE them. I went from wear mark to seeing the belts inside with in few hundred miles. They did well in rain but would get little slimmy when i pushed them.
 I then put on Sport attack from Conti... They were awsome.. Heated up quick, seemed to wear well. I traded the FZ on on concourse before I wore the tires out. I had put on about 1k miles when traded.

The sport attacks are what BMW is using as stock tires now.

The sport attacks would do more than I was willing to do..
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
I will give a try to the Continental Conti Motion, ordered them from Amazon for a good price, front $77.95 and rear $99.56 and free shipping, I'm removing right now the rear Micheline Pilot Road 2 that last for 13475 miles, all my riding here in South Florida  is highway, that is why the wear pattern of the Pilot road 2 that you see in the picture let see how many this Continental will last with my daily highway  riding, also will post a picture of the continental
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline W14

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
The Continental's appear to be a still if they can deliver the performance of the PR2's. Most of the responses on the post suggest that you will get less than 5K rather than the 13k from the PR2's. Keep us posted

Online PH14

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
Any motorcycle tire will be better than a car tire!!!!

[Maxtog ducks]

:rotflmao:

How did car tires come up?

Offline AftonJay

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »
I now have a little of 4K on my set and they still look pretty good.  Tread depth is still decent the front does not show any significant signs of cupping and the rear is still pretty round in profile with only a slight flatness forming down the middle.  If i had to guess i would say i should get another 2K or so out of them, if not more.  But i am pretty easy on tires, all my miles pretty much come from a 30 mile commute on pretty straight country highways.  And it doesnt get real warm up hear in Northern Michigan so the tire temps stay pretty low. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Looks much more like a sportbike tire to me, maybe that is why the mileage is so bad?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
they are a good bang for the buck but as someone mentioned before mileage is 4k-5k on rear. front tire gets great mileage. I went throught 2 1/2 rears to one front. grip is pretty damn good but didn't do a lot of wet riding so can't say anything about that.

just recently replaced both using a PR2 rear and connti motion front.

Offline dw4402

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
I am on my second set of Conti Motion tires, due to the price.  The front tire will definitely outlast the rear, probably two to one. I got about 3500 out of the first rear and the center was toast (darn Florida roads) but the front still had a couple thou left in it. I put on a new set for our anual
Deals Gap trip. We did just over 2k miles for the entire trip including the ride there and back and the rear tire is almost done however the front is only half worn (based on tread depth readings).  The tires stuck like glue in the dry both on straight Florida roads and in the twisty roads of N. Carolina however wet weather was another story.  As long as you are going straight the wet traction is fine but start going around turns and the rear tire slides right out.  If you look at the design you can see why as the rear tire has no water dispersion grooves anywhere near the center.  Overall they are not bad tires especially considering the price but if you figure you will get more than twice the life out of a PR2 compared to the Conti then the price advantage goes away.
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
I will give a try to the Continental Conti Motion, ordered them from Amazon for a good price, front $77.95 and rear $99.56 and free shipping, I'm removing right now the rear Micheline Pilot Road 2 that last for 13475 miles, all my riding here in South Florida  is highway, that is why the wear pattern of the Pilot road 2 that you see in the picture let see how many this Continental will last with my daily highway  riding, also will post a picture of the continental

Here is a picture of the continental after 3500 miles, have to replace it due to a puncture by a nail or screw about 5/16"  thick, as  can be seen the flat section in the center probably might be able to have 3500 more miles but went back to the pilot road 2, bought it on amazons for $150.00 free shiping, about the front pilot road 2  it have so far 18K and some more miles to go
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:02:12 PM by gildaguz »
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain