Author Topic: Missing OEM parts  (Read 5389 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Missing OEM parts
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
I was taking off the windshield today (for the first time ever). The two bolts on the right hand side were fine, but the first (lower) bolt on the left hand side was not very snug. After I removed it, I found that the upper screw was completely missing!

That is the second bolt that I've found to be missing since purchasing the bike new in March. The other was the bolt in the bottom of the "glove box" on the left hand side of the fairing.

My question is this. Where's the best place to pick up or order those two OEM bolts. So far the only places that I've found these online want 3x to 6x as much for shipping as the cost of the bolts.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
Re: Missing OEM parts
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »
My question is this. Where's the best place to pick up or order those two OEM bolts. So far the only places that I've found these online want 3x to 6x as much for shipping as the cost of the bolts.
[/quote]

Take it to the dealer where you bought it.  When the bike is shipped from the distributor to the dealer it's in a box with the windshield detached.  Attaching the windshield and other parts is part of the dealer preparation so the fault lies there.  While there, insist that all accessible nuts, bolts and screws are properly tightened.  You might also request that the person doing the dealer prep be informed of his shortcomings and admonished to be more diligent as the customer should not be imperiled by the his haphazard work.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:44:57 PM by BudCallaghan »
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
Well, I'm thinking that having had the bike for nine months and 7k miles might just get me an "I'm sure it was there and tight when you took delivery". It's nearly a 100 mile ride to the dealer from my house, so I'll give them a call first. It's worth a shot.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
If you have a good hardware store in your area try there, Take one and match it up. I have a True-Valu hardware store that has 2 full rows of every kind of nut and bolt and fastener you can think of,

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Z71

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
If you have a good hardware store in your area try there, Take one and match it up. I have a True-Valu hardware store that has 2 full rows of every kind of nut and bolt and fastener you can think of,

Unfortunately, metric bike specific fasteners are sometimes very hard to find at local hardware stores.  I would just order these parts from ronayers.com and pay the shipping.  They usually charge only about $ 5 for a small package.   If the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, the cost of fuel will be much higher.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
My local hw store has a good supply of metric nuts and bolts.  The hard part is determining what size you need.  I've invested in those thingies that measure thread pitch and size.  You can always find other nuts and bolts on the bike to fit said missing piece so that you have something to measure to find the right item at the store.  Lowes or Home Depot are good sources as well.  If you can find the part on a fiche (Ron Ayers) and then you can usually get the size there.  And there are those occasions where you have to go to a dealer and Ron Ayers is just as good as any of them I guess.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Z71

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Ordinary nuts and bolts are not a big deal.  The problem starts when you look for things like metric stainless steel button head bolt with a shoulder.  Or an 80 mm long M10 fine pitch thread socket head bolt. 

And for some reason I could never find the right size plastic washer I needed for one of my bikes anywhere locally, I ended up ordering a few from ronayers.com.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
Bite the bullet and pay the shipping, or find a local Fastenal store.  I've have good luck there in the past for this type of  thing.

Offline timbo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I had the same experience, but on my bike it was the 2 bolts under the black pieces that hold the windshield on. Also I was missing the bolt and washer in the bottom of the glove box and the nylon washer for the bolt that holds the battery cover on. I just told the dealer and he got them for me, no charge. Just tell the dealer they were not there and to get them for you.

Offline Z71

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
Bite the bullet and pay the shipping, or find a local Fastenal store.  I've have good luck there in the past for this type of  thing.

Usually Fastenal stores sell bolts and nuts only in large quantities,i.e. you must buy the whole box of them.  If you order it on line through them, they sell fasteners individually, but shipping will be high.  A 99 cent bolt cost me almost $8 due to shipping charges,  because I could not find it anywhere else.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »
I checked with Fastenal and they would only sell a box of 100. Cost was about $28 for black, button-head bolts of the proper size.

I happened to be in town over the holidays only to find that both Kawi dealers were closed between Christmas and New Years. I went to Home Depot and found a bolt that was the right size (two for $0.88), although slotted head. I screwed one in so that I can ride until I can get the proper bolt. Had to "paint" it black with a permanent Sharpie to make it less noticable.

FYI, several Ron Ayers type places had the proper bolt for between $1.08 and $2.29, but shipping cost was way out of line ($10-30).

Offline Z71

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »

FYI, several Ron Ayers type places had the proper bolt for between $1.08 and $2.29, but shipping cost was way out of line ($10-30).

I ordered a bunch of small parts from ronayers that fit in a small box and even though the total cost of parts was about $ 40, they charged me only $ 5 for shipping/handling.

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Here is a place that sells OEM Kawa parts with free shipping. Only catch, minimum order is $15.  I can usually get it to $15 by adding oil filters or some of the discolored screws, fresh rubber for the windshield mount, more crush washers for the oil, rear end, radiator, etc.

http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/Default.asp
2008 C-14

Offline TRBN

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:27 AM »
Bike Bandit http://www.bikebandit.com sells OEM parts with a flat $6.95 shipping charge per order. ($8.95 for large items)  I have purchased many replacement bolts/fasteners through Bike Bandit.

Aaron

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
My Fastenel has given me FREE :) two different lengths of handle bar bolts for wedges and risers etc. There were black and not weather proof, but were fine for my use.

Try here for motorcycle specific bolts and fasteners http://www.boltmotorcyclehardware.com/index.php
Someone on here posted this after I searched high and low for a source.

Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
You could always wait till you find more missing bolts and place a larger order with ronayers.com. That way the shipping costs will seem more reasonable.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
I just removed the windscreen to scout ahead for a bi-xenon HID conversion, and 2 out of 4 of the windscreen bolts were somewhat loose.  I've always learned from playing with RC ariplane and car engines that small metal screws into metal threads, subject to vibration, needs locktite to stay secure.  I think I'm going to put a dab of blue locktite when I reinstall everything after the HID conversion.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Well, I'm thinking that having had the bike for nine months and 7k miles might just get me an "I'm sure it was there and tight when you took delivery". It's nearly a 100 mile ride to the dealer from my house, so I'll give them a call first. It's worth a shot.

You should call them, for sure.  It is their responsibility- they sold it to you, they put the windshield on.  You can even ask if they will just mail it to you in a $0.42 stamped envelope!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc