Author Topic: C-15 possibly in the making.......?  (Read 19096 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C-15 possibly in the making.......?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »
That's the silliest statement to hit this forum in a while. As long as they charge extra for ABS I'll do without.

I don't think they charge extra for it on the newer bikes.  It comes standard.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
I don't think they charge extra for it on the newer bikes.  It comes standard.

As I just read through this post, I wondered why none of the "experts" on this forum realized that there aren't two models anymore - just the one with traction control & ABS. 

As to the C14 getting the upgraded engine, I'm not seeing that happening.  I'm sick of the manufacturers dumbing down the engines for ST bikes.  Give me at least the option of getting the full strength ZX engine in the Concours and I will pay the upcharge in a heartbeat and I'll order one the day they are announced.  Add factory cruise control and I'll kiss my dealer on the lips.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Shoe

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
My pet peeve is "why not self canceling turn signals?" If Kawasaki has the expertise to have ABS,TPMS, Traction control, etc. why not self canceling turn signals?
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline croomudgeon

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
Dunno guys...I ride a bike to keep sharp.  Brake modulation, throttle control, noticing that the gravel in the corner is indeed wet, and that I just finished turning that corner--all part of the devilish details that make bikes challenging.  You have to ride a smaller, lighter bike to appreciate what you've lost when feature-creep turns a bike into pudgster (aka Hog, in some circles).  When given the chance to ride a buddy's BMW 1200GT, it only took 5 minutes to realize why I will never sell my technologically-inferior C10.

Keep it Simple! 8)

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
more motor? who would say no to that? I wouldn't mind it. 
I love the ABS saved my butt from sure mexican death a time or two.  as for traction control, have not tryed it cuz I don't have it. but would like to see it adjustable like the new zx10. has 10 settings for traction control!  linked brakes would be a no go for me unless they are defeatable on the bike one way or the other. even if I had to pay someone to defeat the linked brake system, I would!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  It really agree that it is one of the best features to hit motorcycles from a safety standpoint.  Like others, I would NEVER buy a bike (or car) without it, now.  A few hundred dollars is simply not worth my life or limb.  On a high-end bike like the Concours, it would be silly to expect them to even offer non-ABS anymore.

(Of course, it is silly that we don't now have cruise control on a high-end, technological, sports-touring bike, but that is another matter)
I have no interest in debating ABS, we have already been there. And I won't even argue that it is ONE of the best SAFETY features but THE BEST EVER? Think about overhead cams, tubeless tires, single shocks, four valve heads, digital fuel injection, radial tires, KIPASS!
ABS is overrated in my opinion. There are many many ways to get hurt bad or killed on a motorcycle, ABS addresses only one and in a very limited  set of situations. My guess is that many of you have a dangerous false sense of security. Oops, I said I didn't want to debate ABS!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
Dunno guys...I ride a bike to keep sharp.  Brake modulation, throttle control, noticing that the gravel in the corner is indeed wet, and that I just finished turning that corner--all part of the devilish details that make bikes challenging.  You have to ride a smaller, lighter bike to appreciate what you've lost when feature-creep turns a bike into pudgster (aka Hog, in some circles).  When given the chance to ride a buddy's BMW 1200GT, it only took 5 minutes to realize why I will never sell my technologically-inferior C10.

Keep it Simple! 8)
+1
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
ABS decreases total braking distance and time.

Thats been proven over and over again from pro's racing to beginners no matter street or track, wet or dry.

One of the better performance mods to hit bikes in the past decade.

If you care about optimal performance of your ride, ABS is the way to go.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:57:23 PM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
I would be happy if they would only put all the power back in they robbed from the zx14. I find the c14 a bit wimpy.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
I would be happy if they would only put all the power back in they robbed from the zx14. I find the c14 a bit wimpy.

+1

My light as a feather 600RR with 109 HP ATE my heavy 130 HP C14 alive in a drag race or roll on.

BUT - My old ZX14 got a whopping 29 MPG and was useless as a sport-tourer.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
ABS decreases total braking distance and time.

Thats been proven over and over again from pro's racing to beginners no matter street or track, wet or dry.

One of the better performance mods to hit bikes in the past decade.

If you care about optimal performance of your ride, ABS is the way to go.

Sorry, but I beg to differ and Kawasaki must also disagree with you. On page 149 of my owners manual ('11 C14 ABS), it states:
"ABS is not designed to shorten the braking distance. On loose, uneven or downhill surface, the stopping distance of a motorcycle with ABS may be longer than that of equivalent motorcycle without ABS."

All said. I doubt I'll ever own another bike that doesn't have ABS.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »

Keep it Simple! 8)

You have to drive a true Hog to appreciate that the Connie is no pudgster. Sure, it's not going to be as nimble as the 600RR, but considering that no one bike can excel at every aspect of motorcycling, the Concours does a fine job at compromise.

There's validity to the argument that modern engineering features can allow certain skills to dry out, but that applies to new bikes manufactured thirty years ago as well. My old CB350 only had drum brakes, but I learned to make it stop in time to avoid hitting anything. No doubt I'd have to relearn that skill if I ever got the chance to get back on it, but I wouldn't trade my disc brakes because of it.

Would you insist on putting bias ply tires on your car because riding on them kept you sharp? They kept me from going as fast as I would have liked. And so on.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
Sorry, but I beg to differ and Kawasaki must also disagree with you. On page 149 of my owners manual ('11 C14 ABS), it states:
"ABS is not designed to shorten the braking distance. On loose, uneven or downhill surface, the stopping distance of a motorcycle with ABS may be longer than that of equivalent motorcycle without ABS."

All said. I doubt I'll ever own another bike that doesn't have ABS.

Of course they throw the liability disclaimers in.  ABS has proven itself through manufacturer testing, the track, and the governments all over the world. Some organizations are pushing to make it mandatory but all the makers are slowly deploying it as standard equipment on new models anyway.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
I would like to see the C15 in Silver Neutron, yes we would.  That's all we wants.  Just a bit more power, nothing else.  You guys kill me.  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
But wouldn't a C15 in silver be more like a C13 Jim...  ;)

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:54:25 PM »
my 2 cents

they will make it a 1425 or so
then call it a  C 15
just to f--- w/bmw
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline Khrome

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »
my 2 cents

they will make it a 1425 or so
then call it a  C 15
just to f--- w/bmw

:rotflmao:
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
1429 cc's is what I think we will see on the ZX, now if we can get that installed in the C-14 next year....we are making progress...along with:

Cruise Control
Self-Cancelling turn signals

Eliminate Linked Brakes

We will have to have 1451 cc before they can call it a C-15, so if they incorporate the upgraded motor coming out this week in 2013 C-14's maybe we will see some availability or they may wait for an even year like 2014 to make us sweat it out.....

This is a good way to sell more bikes to stimulate their sales too.

Ninja
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:51:34 AM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »
1429 cc's is what I think we will see on the ZX, now if we can get that installed in the C-14 next year....we are making progress...along with:

Cruise Control
Self-Cancelling turn signals

Eliminate Linked Brakes

We will have to have 1451 cc before they can call it a C-15, so if they incorporate the upgraded motor coming out this week in 2013 C-14's maybe we will see some availability or they may wait for an even year like 2014 to make us sweat it out.....

This is a good way to sell more bikes to stimulate their sales too.

Ninja

I've owned five bikes with linked brakes.  Other than the Concours, I'd bet money that if I put you on them and you didn't know they had linked brakes, you would not know it by riding them either.  I never felt anything that would have given it away.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
I hate the linked brakes and would cancel them in a second, given a chance. Way too grabby when stuck in traffic. My 2008 never had any of the feelings the linked brakes bring.
Joel from Maine.