Author Topic: Fork clamp rounded bolt  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Barko99

Fork clamp rounded bolt
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Forks need seal so I went to simply drop them and have someone  replace but the left top bolt is rounded and stuck. Tried special tools but that only made  it worse and where it is located it's hard to get at to get out. My choices seem to be take off everything,  ramaybe air headlights, etc. Which I loath. Or drop the tree but I'm afraid of losing bearings, or??  Which is going to be easier? Help, poor thing is stuck in my shop. If you want to fix you get buy it cheaper! Tjhanks

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
Re: Fork clamp rounded bolt
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
Had the same thing happen to me last year while doing a head bearing swap, It was easy once I pulled the triple tree, I was able to drill a hole in the bolt and use a extractor. I was lucky mine was the right lower bolt which allowed me to pull the fork assembly, not so easy with your situation. looks like your best bet is to take everything off to allow you to get to that bolt. A side angle drill might be handy. good luck!

Offline Gixerhp

• The Lighting Guy,,,
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
Weld a good nut onto the head of the damaged bolt, if you cant do any thing with vise grips and heat,, the flame wrench allways helps,,
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Gixerhp

• The Lighting Guy,,,
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Barko99

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:13:33 AM »
I tried the sears type tool but it just rounded it off more. Bought a new 90 degree drill and I'll see if that'll work. Thanks

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »
I've had good luck with Snap-on sockets but if it's too rounded they won't work.

IRWIN BOLT-GRIP Extractor Expansion Set, 5 Piece, 394002
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline motonerd14

• Arena
  • Nerd & Ziggy
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »
I've had good luck with Snap-on sockets but if it's too rounded they won't work.

IRWIN BOLT-GRIP Extractor Expansion Set, 5 Piece, 394002

I just bought that same extractor kit a few weeks back and it works very well.  :thumbs: