Author Topic: Inexpensive brake pads on Amazon  (Read 7176 times)

Offline wb57

Inexpensive brake pads on Amazon
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW7DPGA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_29?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36FCRXFCR9ZYN

Cheap enough to try and not worry if they're not that great, but they've got a handful of good reviews.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline C14lvr

Re: Inexpensive brake pads on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Yes. Went this way a few months ago w/ chinese rotors. So far, love them.
Nice and quiet, stop great. How long they last? Don't know, but at that price, it worked fine for me.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW7DPGA  "2008-2011 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ZG 1400 Front and Rear Kevlar Carbon Brake Pads $33.50"

Hmm.

There is also this, which is a few dollars cheaper and no reviews:  https://www.amazon.com/2008-2014-Kawasaki-Concours-ZG1400-Sintered/dp/B00YIKBELM  "2008-2014 Kawasaki Concours 14 ZG1400 ABS Sintered HH Front & Rear Brake Pads $28.79"

But also:  https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-FA417-4HH-Brake/dp/B005JJ2UAK   "EBC Brakes FA417/4HH Disc Brake Pad Set $35.92"   PLUS    https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-FA254HH-Disc-Brake/dp/B006B27ZUY  " EBC Brakes FA254HH Disc Brake Pad Set $29.34"  Both EBC with lot of good reviews and sold by Amazon, itself.  But it is unclear if the front is priced/sold as a pair (8 pieces) or single (4 pieces), so it could be double or even triple the cost, depending on the answer.

Would be nice to know what a Kawasaki pad set costs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:47 AM »
I feel I should share a bad experience with the D2Moto brand (the sintered full set above, for $28.79).
I had a front pad separate from it's steel backing plate. The immediate result was the brake lever squeezing clear down to the throttle grip with no deceleration. Two quick pumps later (which, in traffic, would have been way too late) I had brakes again, accompanied by a horrible grinding sound and feel. I carefully limped home on back roads w/back brake only. (No linked brakes on my '08)
The experience scared me away from cheap brake pads forever.

I'm betting the EBC prices (above) are for one side only.  EBC's are never that cheap.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:41:34 AM »
I would never consider using 'cheaper' components as safety related parts (brakes)...... in my humble opinion stick to the best and most reputable brands even if they cost more 

Just sayin  ;) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline wb57

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:49:10 AM »
Would be nice to know what a Kawasaki pad set costs.

From Rockymountainatv.com - I've bought a LOT from them over the years.  Typically very competitive.

Front:
43082   43082-0112   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE   $62.60   $50.08   (2 sets required)  (first price is MSRP - second is theirs)
Rear
43082   43082-0055   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE   $74.58   $59.66

Complete set would be $159.82.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:59:16 AM »
I would never consider using 'cheaper' components as safety related parts (brakes)...... in my humble opinion stick to the best and most reputable brands even if they cost more 

Just sayin  ;) 

Absolutely a good point.  Would be nice to know if the cheap ones were a decent quality though.  The one review I could find of the D2Moto pads going back through the seller feedback indicated the customer received pads about half the thickness of OEM.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »
I feel I should share a bad experience with the D2Moto brand (the sintered full set above, for $28.79).
I had a front pad separate from it's steel backing plate. The immediate result was the brake lever squeezing clear down to the throttle grip with no deceleration. Two quick pumps later (which, in traffic, would have been way too late) I had brakes again, accompanied by a horrible grinding sound and feel. I carefully limped home on back roads w/back brake only. (No linked brakes on my '08)
The experience scared me away from cheap brake pads forever.

I'm betting the EBC prices (above) are for one side only.  EBC's are never that cheap.

That is for a single side.  That's what I typically buy.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 05:39:31 AM »
I had a front pad separate from it's steel backing plate.

That is absolutely terrifying.  And a good example of why I would probably never consider any type of cheapy brake component.

Yeah, the more I research it, the more it looks like it is just one side.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 05:42:37 AM »
Complete set would be $159.82.

Thanks, looks like the EBC complete would be $101.18 from Amazon.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 05:52:17 AM »
Guys,
YMMV, and to each his own.
But this was my experience, which has been tested and backed up by many others...

My experience with the stock brake setup on my 2011 was good stopping, quiet, but warped rotors after only 3500 miles. So I changed the way I applied the brakes when stopping to more brake pedal, less lever, until approaching the stop then adding lever. This stopped the pedal pulsation feel.

Around 25,000 miles, I decided to replace the pads. The EBC HH sintered's were praised for great stopping power and longevity, but many mentioned how noisey they were.

Well, they're not kidding! I paid big money for a complete set of front and rear EBC's, and even after 15,000 miles they were so noisey I couldn't stand them!
Now, they stopped great, but I also looked closely at the rotors...
I was surprised to see how grooved and worn they were. Those pads are rotor eaters!

I questioned, in more than a few posts, how well these pads and the chinese rotors held up and worked. The concensus was that they worked well, at a much less price.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this setup, and unless they give me grief or a bad experience, I'll continue going this route from here on out.

I am extremely impressed with how quiet and smooth this setup is, and stopping power is just as good as stock ever was.

HH sintered's are really a racing pad design, with copper pieces impregnated in the pads.
They do stop great. BUT...
That's what makes them SO noisey and hard on rotors. I WON'T use them for the street again.
Plus, they are WAY overpriced.

I DID consider spending a fortune and going Galfer. But, in the end, couldn't justify their rediculous cost right now, and couldn't find enough reviews from guys who had went that way.
Many good reviews with the parts I went with, and in the end decided to try them. So far, so good.

As I said, to each his own... but for me it was just an expensive lesson learned. No more HH Sintered brake pads for me.
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
Thanks, looks like the EBC complete would be $101.18 from Amazon.

I concur with the $159/set cost... that's how much I paid for mine 2 years ago.
Pretty pricey, IMHO.

But cheaper than Galfer's!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 07:53:36 AM »
My EBCs are quite noisy as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wb57

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
My EBCs are quite noisy as well.

Yep, likewise.  Went with EBC pads and rotors a while back and they're certainly a lot noisier than OEM.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline clogan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
Makes no sense to me that I can replace pads and rotors on my Corvette's 4 wheels than I can on my C14's two wheels!!!!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Makes no sense to me that I can replace pads and rotors on my Corvette's 4 wheels than I can on my C14's two wheels!!!!

Welcome to motorcycles.
Same with tires...

Offline O.C.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »
Welcome to motorcycles.
Same with tires...

Agreed    :goodpost: 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
HH pads are not racing pads and they are not hard on rotors. Sintered  HH pads are the safest pads to use period- no ifs and buts.
 They stop well and stop you well in rain. I put a 100k mikes on a set of EBC rotors (120 mm BBK's) using nothing but HH pads and those of you who know me know I am very hard  on  the brakes  and on the throttle.
One time I forgot to order new pads from Murph's and I had to purchase non sintered EBC's from the local Kawai dealer . They were crap and did not work well and not at all when the rotor got wet. They went in the garbage ASAP even though they were new.

If you put new  pads on old rotors and you do not deglaze the rotors you will have issues. HH pads work perfect with the Chinese rotors.
If you buy EBC pads and EBC rotors at the same time  EBC guarantees you will not warp your rotors.  Talk to Murph about it.

I do not understand the noise thing. I hear the sound of sandpaper when I brake but that is a good sound. Quiet is not.
Are you hearing squealing? That is not normal.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »
No, Mike... It sounds like a lot of mettalic noise.

I park my bike on my apartment's front porch.
I use a ramp to make the 10" rise between levels, so most times I back the bike off the porch without the bike running.

I couldn't believe the noise when applying the brakes down the ramp! Horrible.
Stock pads never sounded like that... only the EBC's.
I did the deglaze of the stock rotors when installing the pads.

The sound was so loud, I could hear it anytime when braking, with a full-faced helmet, and earbuds.
Drove me nuts.

New pads... Sweet and silent, (carbon kevlars.)

Haven't tried them in the rain yet... guess we'll see. If they suck, I'll go a different way next.

Before I bought them, I read tons of posts and the concensus seemed to be for the HH Sintereds.
Lots of posts about the noise... didn't realize they'd be this noisy though.

I Googled that info about the pads being designed for racing. That's what I found... so... hey- chalk it up to more internet BS, I guess.

Hate that... makes it that much harder to know what the truth is...

For whatever my 2 cents worth, I liked their stopping power, but couldn't tolerate their noise, AND, they ate my front rotors UP. Info I found doing Google search confirmed the copper impregnated in the pads is what makes them rougher on the rotor. Sure seemed to agree with my real-world results.

Anyway... I won't be using them anymore. But that's me...

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 09:50:55 AM »
Rotors and pads are cheap, relatively.

Long hospitals stays are expensive.

Funerals are more expensive than pads and rotors. 

Besides, loud brakes save lives.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F