Author Topic: Deepest Exhaust sound?  (Read 25264 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Deepest Exhaust sound?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
You either need to get out more or you're hanging with the wrong people. I don't want Sport Touring bike to sound like a Prius.  ;)

>:( :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »
you can always just shorten the scud by 6" and it sounds ok...free.....

sure beats the dual scuds on the hot bike.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »

where is the write up on this modification? how is the sound affected by it
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »
I didn't do a write up on it, but I tghink someone else did one recently, but they didn't cut as much off as mine has....
its pretty simple if you have an air grinder and cutoff wheel, and a tabletop mig welder, remove the rear cover, grind off the welds around the end, pull the guts... and trim the front section off to the baffle plate and inner parts, mark the can accordingly and follow the existing angular profile, cut, assemble, and reweld...

as far as sound.... it definatly has a deeper tone, but quiet enough not to have folks complaining, when you crank on it you can hear.it for sure, but still its not obnoxious, and doesn't drone at high cruising speeds... when you shut the throttle down its silent....and doesn't pinpoint you to passing LEO's... which is nice.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

sure beats the dual scuds on the hot bike.....

Yeah, the C14 has a potato launcher. The ZX14 has dual pumpkin launchers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
You either need to get out more or you're hanging with the wrong people.

Nah... maybe I just seem to find myself around people who appreciate quiet and quality, and who don't have preconceived notions that a bike has to be loud and annoying to perform well.   :P

P.S.- if I had the option for the bike engine to make absolutely no sound at all- I would take it in a heartbeat.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
Nah... maybe I just seem to find myself around people who appreciate quiet and quality, and who don't have preconceived notions that a bike has to be loud and annoying to perform well.   :P

P.S.- if I had the option for the bike engine to make absolutely no sound at all- I would take it in a heartbeat.

http://killacycleracing.com/
this proves it for sure... I tried to get a Job with A123 ( the battery manufacturer backing the featured bike), as an engineer years ago, the VP of engineering and also the corporate VP for the company I worked for in Va, both went to work for A123... I had good references, but didn't see another corporate move as viable...

http://youtu.be/wbi1RhgRrxk

http://youtu.be/tRpMV-Gf0hA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
Gives a new definition of "fast".  Battery tech as a looooooooooooooong way to go before we will be riding electric motorcycles, though :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:14 PM »
Gives a new definition of "fast".  Battery tech as a looooooooooooooong way to go before we will be riding electric motorcycles, though :(

I don't think so.
I was on the cutting edge of Lithum Ion development in '95-'98, when cost, package, and reliability vs. size and output were in low numbers...
it has exponentially developed in 18 years, and I foresee viable cell technology for bikes, to be within the next 5 years easily.
It took a long time to create a safe "package", which now has been done.
That dragbike was using a bazillion "A" size cells, all tab welded together, to develop almost 2000 amps of power...and that technology was done 8 years ago...
At the time I was doing this work, I constantly pushed the directors to package a larger version of out initial flat pack cells, in large quantity, and in a large "can" for development on motorcycle use. I did manufacture a few on the side, and documented them for future patent disclosure (as I had an extreme amount of material that was suitable for that purpose, but not to spec for small production batteries for Motorolla, our customer). Unfortunatly the division I worked for, sold all of the technology to NGK/Ntk Powerdex
https://www.google.com/patents/US6145280

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »
I, on the other hand, have never heard a single comment about my stock muffler from a single person, ever,  over the 5 years I have owned it.   Although I got LOTS of compliments about how nice the bike looks, questions about the model, etc.

Just sayin'

Sometimes it's quite hard to hear the sniggering going on..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
I don't think so.[...] I foresee viable cell technology for bikes, to be within the next 5 years easily

I hope you are right.  But I am pretty well read in battery tech, and to me, progress has been kinda slow.  To compete with gasoline energy density, it has to improve perhaps 10 fold, still.  Sure, it could power a motorcycle... but we want something as fast as a C14, with a range of at least 240 miles,  certainly no heavier, and not that much more expensive.... that isn't easy.   Every few months for year after year there are "OMG" articles I have read about some new battery tech that will change the world- lasts 8 times as long, charges 10 times as fast, weighs half as much, costs 5 times less, uses less rare (less conflict) materials, cells that live for 10,000+ cycles, that are absolutely safe from fire or overcharging, etc, etc.... not one of them has come to market yet.  All the other pieces are there waiting for it, though.... and there is a HUGE an anxious market for electric vehicles.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 05:04:13 AM »

Sorry, it's still fugly.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »
Sorry, it's still fugly.

True, but less fugly.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
Is a short ugly person less ugly than a tall ugly person?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
Is a short ugly person less ugly than a tall ugly person?

The more ugly you got the more ugly you is.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »
In this case, less is definitely more.  ;)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
The idea of "ugly" wasn't addressed when I was told decades ago that short people don't have any reason to live.

In fact, it was told to me in song.

Offline d04011

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
"Yeah, the C14 has a potato launcher. The ZX14 has dual pumpkin launchers."

Exactly, make that double ugly...  That's why I'm ordering a pair of Yoshi R77 CF Slip-ons for my new ZX-14!
Current Rides: 2016 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE; 2015 Kawasaki Concours; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2012 H-D Fat Bob; 1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
"Yeah, the C14 has a potato launcher. The ZX14 has dual pumpkin launchers."

Exactly, make that double ugly...  That's why I'm ordering a pair of Yoshi R77 CF Slip-ons for my new ZX-14!

Those Kawa engineers have gotten ahold of some bad drugs or powerful weed- either that or they are laughing their asses off at us stupid Americans and getting revenge.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »
Saki..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.