Author Topic: What is the limit on tire repairs  (Read 9335 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
What is the limit on tire repairs
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »
Found a screw in my rear tire last week. It took a while for me to get the wheel off the bike and take it in for repair. I took it to local Kawi dealer and they said they no longer make any tire repairs, replace only. A couple days later I made the trip to Cycle Outfitters as they told me over the phone that they could patch it. I dropped it off and got  about half way home when they called and said it already had one patch and they are only allowed to put one patch in a tire. They wanted a ridiculous price for a new tire so I told them I'd just pick it up. When I got home I remembered I still had the original Battleax that came on the bike so I took it and had that tire mounted. For the next couple months I have to watch my spending as the wife lost her job and she thought while she was off she'd get a couple new knees put in. I didn't want to let go of that much cash for a new tire heading into winter so that's why I went with the old battleax.
Sorry for the long lead in but I'm just curious, what have you all ran into as far as tire repair "standards"? I carry a small inflator and a set of rope patches for roadside emergencies but I figure if I use one of these patches, I'm replacing the tire asap.

Thanks, Matt

'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What is the limit on tire repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »
There have been several threads about this topic.... in my opinion, a properly installed, inside-tire patch for a tiny puncture in the tread area is just as safe as having had no hole at all.  A shop that refuses to patch is a shop that just wants to sell new tires....  they can claim "liability" or whatever they want, and I don't believe it.  It is the same nonsense about not mounting tires you didn't buy from them.

And there is also no logic in the shop saying they only allow one patch.  It shouldn't matter if it is one patch or six... as long as they are not near each other or overlapping.  Again, they probably just want to force you to buy a new tire.

Plugging is a different topic completely... I am less confident about plugs, although many here think, if done properly (and with glue), a plug will be perfectly safe and will last the life of the tire. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
They had repaired the tire I had on it once a couple years ago. They use a patch that is a plug and patch in one. They pull it thru from the inside. They say it kind of looks like a mushroom stem and cap. I had my doubts when they said they were limited to one patch per tire. I questioned it and one guy said the concern was too many strands are damaged with multiple holes in the belts making the tire unsafe. Still have my doubts,,,,,

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:51:46 PM »
I used to patch car tires with that back in the 70's..  Never leaked.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
They had repaired the tire I had on it once a couple years ago. They use a patch that is a plug and patch in one. They pull it thru from the inside. They say it kind of looks like a mushroom stem and cap. I had my doubts when they said they were limited to one patch per tire. I questioned it and one guy said the concern was too many strands are damaged with multiple holes in the belts making the tire unsafe. Still have my doubts,,,,,

I suppose it is possible to have too many belts or cords damaged, but if we are just talking tiny nail holes and such, it is hard to imagine it could be an issue.  At least that is a plausible argument (with cords... I doubt nails/small screws will do much to steel cords, since they will likely just deflect).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »
They had repaired the tire I had on it once a couple years ago. They use a patch that is a plug and patch in one. Matt

A tire lasts a couple years?  Man, I want some tires that can last 20,000 miles and stick like the PR4s. 

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »
A tire lasts a couple years?  Man, I want some tires that can last 20,000 miles and stick like the PR4s.

I've had PR2's that go past 20k, currently on PR4's which are also awesome.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »
At my last tire change I had three sticky rope plugs in my rear tire. No leaks and no issues. I did change the tire a little sooner than I wanted to since it still had some life left but with three plugs I thought it better to change it out.

I use the sticky ropes with glue.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
I've had PR2's that go past 20k, currently on PR4's which are also awesome.

Are you changing at the wear bar, or waiting until a thread shows?  My first PR4 lasted 8000 or so on the rear.  I change when a wear bar is touching the road.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Shoe

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 08:40:07 AM »
This is from the Service Manual

Tire Repair

Currently two types of repair for tubeless tires have come
into wide use. One type is called a temporary (external) repair
which can be carried out without removing the tire from
the rim, and the other type is called permanent (internal)
repair which requires tire removal. It is generally understood
that higher running durability is obtained by permanent
(internal) repairs than by temporary (external) ones.
Also, permanent (internal) repairs have the advantage of
permitting a thorough examination for secondary damage
not visible from external inspection of the tire. For these
reasons, Kawasaki does not recommend temporary (external)
repair. Only appropriate permanent (internal) repairs
are recommended. Repair methods may vary slightly from
make to make. Follow the repair methods indicated by the
manufacturer of the repair tools and materials so that safe
results can be obtained.

It looks like Kawasaki only recommends the internal repair type patch. They don't recommend a quantity and they leave enough outs to protect themselves.
I would try to scrap enough pennies together and put some fresh rubber on.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

elp_jc

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 12:59:05 PM »
It's pretty much common sense external repairs are strictly temporary, just to get you where you're going. In hot weather, you'd blow them out guaranteed. And yes, that'd be stupid to engage in high speeds with a temporary patch. I use the mushroom variety from Stop'nGO, which are the best IMO (no glue that dries up over time). Having said that, if you're careful where you tread, you should never get a flat. Never pull over on any median or not traveled road, and you don't have to worry about flats. Even when pulled over by police, go to an exit, which is safer for everybody, including the bike. Or if zero traffic, slow down to walking speed, then pull over, looking for screws, etc. And same when taking off. The majority of times, nails are kicked by the front tire and lodged on the rear one, so very slow speeds are way safer for questionable surfaces. Since I like to ride at high speeds, in the middle of nowhere, and I live in hot TX, I'd just replace the tire(s) to play it safe... but that's just me ;D. Good luck.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 06:25:30 AM »
It's pretty much common sense external repairs are strictly temporary, just to get you where you're going. In hot weather, you'd blow them out guaranteed. And yes, that'd be stupid to engage in high speeds with a temporary patch. I use the mushroom variety from Stop'nGO, which are the best IMO (no glue that dries up over time). Having said that, if you're careful where you tread, you should never get a flat. Never pull over on any median or not traveled road, and you don't have to worry about flats. Even when pulled over by police, go to an exit, which is safer for everybody, including the bike. Or if zero traffic, slow down to walking speed, then pull over, looking for screws, etc. And same when taking off. The majority of times, nails are kicked by the front tire and lodged on the rear one, so very slow speeds are way safer for questionable surfaces. Since I like to ride at high speeds, in the middle of nowhere, and I live in hot TX, I'd just replace the tire(s) to play it safe... but that's just me ;D. Good luck.

Just call me stupid without any common sense thanks. I'm sure that it doesn't get as hot here as it does in Texas but I've never had a sticky rope blow out so your guarantee is out. Nails and screws are not just on the sides of the roads or the median. It's fairly difficult to watch out for those things when you're riding. Maybe your eyes are just that much better than mine?  ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »
That would make two stupids as I've never had a sticky string fix blow out or leak air for that matter.  So do two stupids make a smart? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
That would make two stupids as I've never had a sticky string fix blow out or leak air for that matter.  So do two stupids make a smart?

We'll have to wait on word from the 'expert' I think.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:18 AM »
We'll have to wait on word from the 'expert' I think.

;D
 ::) ::)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »
Are you changing at the wear bar, or waiting until a thread shows?  My first PR4 lasted 8000 or so on the rear.  I change when a wear bar is touching the road.

I always change at the wear bar. I had 2 sets of PR2's (rear 55 profile) go 20,000 plus, but the PR4's are wearing faster, probably because I spent the summer up in the Smoky Mountains. :) PR4's will probably go 15k. I will say that the PR4 (non-GT) are my favorite tires - they grip the best.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
I always change at the wear bar. I had 2 sets of PR2's (rear 55 profile) go 20,000 plus, but the PR4's are wearing faster, probably because I spent the summer up in the Smoky Mountains. :) PR4's will probably go 15k. I will say that the PR4 (non-GT) are my favorite tires - they grip the best.

I can't understand how somebody can get that sort of mileage. If I get 7000 out of a rear, I'm a happy camper. 5-6000 is the norm.
Do you ever turn on the engine? or brake? Just teasing you ;) but I'd really like to ride with you to see what's the trick.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 07:09:18 PM »
I think the trick is to ride slow. ;)

I always carry a plug kit with a mini compressor. Never needed it for myself, but have got other riders back on the road with it.
I totally trust a plug/patch. I worry about plugs, but have never had an issue.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:54 PM »
I can't understand how somebody can get that sort of mileage. If I get 7000 out of a rear, I'm a happy camper. 5-6000 is the norm.
Do you ever turn on the engine? or brake? Just teasing you ;) but I'd really like to ride with you to see what's the trick.

What chews up the rear tire is a heavy right hand and 1356 cc. pushing 900 lbs. Once moving, there is very little stress unless you are in the mountain twisties. I was in Texas and Florida for a couple of years  flat slabbin' all day, very boring and the PR2's go a long way if you maintain 42 psi.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »
I use sticky rope plugs. I carry a 12v compressor and a kit all the time. I've plugged at least 5 tires on my own bikes as well as many on bikes for people I've been riding with. I then continue to use the tire until it is worn out. Only once has my gummy worm failed to hold air. It was a slow leak. I took the tire off and planned to put a patch on the inside. My problem with the inside patch is that you have to take off a LOT of rubber on the inside to remove the patina to get the patch to properly adhere. This worries me more than a failed gummy worm. A failed gummy worm is no different than getting a nail or screw in the tire to begin with. Weakening a big patch of the tire itself scares the crap out of me.