Author Topic: Not Wowed By BMW 1600 GT  (Read 33682 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Not Wowed By BMW 1600 GT
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
..and have a place to sleep as well.  ;D

And store the bike when not using it...

(sorry max', I couldn't let Conniesaki out do me when it comes to picking on you.)

Meh, I'm used to it..
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
I guess ill get off my duff this winter and add the cruise control....I do about 70 miles a day of highway so yes I need it.

Offline Bunk

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
I really thought I'd miss cruise control, coming from a Wing, but really I find that the Kaoko throttle lock I got really takes care of the vast majority of my needs.  Is it a cruise?  No, and it will pick up or drop speed up or down hills, but a little bump one way or the other and I'm good to go.
VStar 950 > GL1800 > Concours 14
Candy Cardinal Red (Best Color) Cee Bailey Ultra-Tour - Helibars Risers -Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawi Top Box - Phil's Farkles Luggage Rack - Ram Mount with FingerGrip Phone Cradle - Sena 20S - Schuberth C3

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Had cruise on my Harley Ultra and I miss it on the connie! I do have a throttlemeister and it works ok, but ok isn't good enough.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
My speed varies as the cops can view my progress.
Blast through the valleys, and slow over the crests. 8)

Let's roll. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Had cruise on my Harley Ultra and I miss it on the connie! I do have a throttlemeister and it works ok, but ok isn't good enough.

Put a Rostra on! I had one but it died on me so I have a Throttlemeister now. It works but the Rostra was much better!

Now regarding the 1600 and new bikes ... the K1600 is lame (sorry, just my opinion of a bike I have ridden several times on more than a "test ride"). I DO NOT like its looks and the bike is flat-out BORING! When I do ride my buddy's 1600 I quickly realize I need to park it and get back on my Connie!

I have ridden an RT, though it was a 2013, and there were some things I liked but don't know that its enough to pull me away from my Connie. Plus, you can buy a new Connie, max out everything you want to do to it (farkle like crazy) and still come in under the cost of a loaded RT!

I have ridden a 2014 Triumph Trophy and THAT is a nice machine! I really liked the Trophy and will definitely be looking hard at that bike when the time comes.

I have heard through the "grapevine" that Kawasaki is done making the current generation Concours after 2016 ... that the 2017 models will change. This came from a sales guy at a Kawasaki shop but we all know how rumors go. We will have to wait and see how true that is.

So, as of right now my plan is to move into a new bike end of 2016/beginning of 2017 (I will have well over 50,000 on my Connie by then). The bikes on my radar are the Trophy, the RT and the newest Concours. I am going to attend the IMS show in Long Beach next November (and will be there this November too) and at that point will have a good idea as to what the new models will be offering. Even though the RT is in the mix the Trophy and Concours are neck-in-neck for me and it will be a tough choice when that time comes. I will say that unless Kawasaki does something with the Concours for 2017 (like CC, electronic suspension control, etc ...) it will more-than-likely be a Trophy my butt is sitting on every day that I ride as I put my 20,000 - 25,000 miles per year on! Although, the "bulletproof-ness" of the Kawasaki will be difficult to walk away from so it's a tough decision and I have just over a year to figure it out.

By-the-way, if anyone in So. Cal. is planning on attending IMS let me know ... it'd be nice to meet some local Concours owners!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
One more thing, I am considering the ECU Flash from "Steve in Sunny Florida" and if that does what it claims to do then I may be keeping my bike longer and ride that thing hard and fast and get as many miles out of it that I can get! My bike has recently become comfortable, since adding the Baldwin GT seat and getting the new helmet which helped smooth/quiet things behind the windscreen for me. The Concours was fun but not very comfortable before these changes. It is now fun and comfortable so a new bike at the end of next year is still on my mind but the thought of keeping what I have for a while is gaining momentum too, especially if I flash it and gain more power ... that may change a lot of things!

Feel free to chime in on that flash from SISF and let me know if you're loving it. Looking for a little "nudge" here ;)
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
Feel free to chime in on that flash from SISF and let me know if you're loving it. Looking for a little "nudge" here ;)

Not sure anyone has done that yet.  But if it is even as good as the Guhl flash (which I am confident it would be at least as good if not better), then it is very much worth doing.  My bike came alive after I flashed it and highly recommend it as a great upgrade.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
Not sure anyone has done that yet.  But if it is even as good as the Guhl flash (which I am confident it would be at least as good if not better), then it is very much worth doing.  My bike came alive after I flashed it and highly recommend it as a great upgrade.

Hmmm, have to really consider it now because a flash recommended by MAX who said the bike "wasn't right for him" is a pretty high recommendation :thumbs:!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
Hmmm, have to really consider it now because a flash recommended by MAX who said the bike "wasn't right for him" is a pretty high recommendation :thumbs:!

I said *NO* bike was right for me stock, and that included the C14 based on size (too big/tall).  And yeah, if I recommend something, you can bet it is probably worth it... I don't give out praise easily.  (Believe it or not, I have been accused pretty regularly of being overly critical).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:40 AM »
Say it ain't so, Max.  Say it ain't so!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 05:35:11 AM »
Say it ain't so, Max.  Say it ain't so!

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it

Offline ruffride

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
I have owned a good number of BMWs primarily due to Ozzie at Ozzie’s BMW in Chico to include a K1200S. (Ozzie passed and it is still hard for me, I miss him) The C1400 is a brilliant bike.  Adding a cruse control, bar risers, a seat, a windshield and a trunk is a minor expense compared to the MSRP of a K1600. The K is in the Goldwing class for Pete sake. The only place where the R1200RT is going to out shine the C14 is on an alpine tour with nothing but switchbacks as far as the eye can see. Not typical American tour riding. (Yes there are places) I was a bit skeptical of the C14s capability in the California countryside. This was quickly put to rest once the break in period was over. 3rd gear is simply perfect! Yes she is big but she is composed and can run! It is a fantastic balance of power, weight and comfort. For about $2000.00 more they could make a better version but is it the market share they are going after?

Dirtwiz Saying that BMW does not make a high mile bike is a bit of an odd statement to me. This is the company that started the sport tour class and was known for high mileage machines. (Despite the fact Yamaha claims they invented the Supersport Touring category) The 1977 R100RS and the 1979 R100RT both predate the 1984 FJ1100. The K100RS “Flying Brick” was introduced in 1982 and by 1988 had ABS. It wasn’t until the 1986 FJ1200 that the bike had a proper faring. Since 1986 The Concourse has been a mainstay in the sport tour class and had the same basic conclusions made when compared to the BMW the year it was introduced in the USA.

(The Concours was introduced into the USA the year after the slightly faster (137 mph) BMW K100LT at less than two-thirds the price of the BMW machine. Both bikes were tested by the magazine Motorcyclist, which came out in favor of the Kawasaki concluding that it was "the most practical, useful and competent motorcycle made" and "superior to the BMW in almost every aspect imaginable. )

(Yamaha…Please)

(On a side note) If you want a bike you can work on quite easily and will run way over 100,000 miles of hard riding get a 2004 BMW R1150RT. Fast? No but it is a proven platform.  CHP ran them out to 120,000 miles due to the person that was supposed to deliver the C14 police models to them skipping the country after the first few unit delivery. (As I have been told)

The C14 is a brilliant machine and I am beyond happy with mine.
Enjoy the ride

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »
I have owned a good number of BMWs primarily due to Ozzie at Ozzie’s BMW in Chico to include a K1200S. (Ozzie passed and it is still hard for me, I miss him) The C1400 is a brilliant bike.  Adding a cruse control, bar risers, a seat, a windshield and a trunk is a minor expense compared to the MSRP of a K1600. The K is in the Goldwing class for Pete sake. The only place where the R1200RT is going to out shine the C14 is on an alpine tour with nothing but switchbacks as far as the eye can see. Not typical American tour riding. (Yes there are places) I was a bit skeptical of the C14s capability in the California countryside. This was quickly put to rest once the break in period was over. 3rd gear is simply perfect! Yes she is big but she is composed and can run! It is a fantastic balance of power, weight and comfort. For about $2000.00 more they could make a better version but is it the market share they are going after?

Dirtwiz Saying that BMW does not make a high mile bike is a bit of an odd statement to me. This is the company that started the sport tour class and was known for high mileage machines. (Despite the fact Yamaha claims they invented the Supersport Touring category) The 1977 R100RS and the 1979 R100RT both predate the 1984 FJ1100. The K100RS “Flying Brick” was introduced in 1982 and by 1988 had ABS. It wasn’t until the 1986 FJ1200 that the bike had a proper faring. Since 1986 The Concourse has been a mainstay in the sport tour class and had the same basic conclusions made when compared to the BMW the year it was introduced in the USA.

(The Concours was introduced into the USA the year after the slightly faster (137 mph) BMW K100LT at less than two-thirds the price of the BMW machine. Both bikes were tested by the magazine Motorcyclist, which came out in favor of the Kawasaki concluding that it was "the most practical, useful and competent motorcycle made" and "superior to the BMW in almost every aspect imaginable. )

(Yamaha…Please)

(On a side note) If you want a bike you can work on quite easily and will run way over 100,000 miles of hard riding get a 2004 BMW R1150RT. Fast? No but it is a proven platform.  CHP ran them out to 120,000 miles due to the person that was supposed to deliver the C14 police models to them skipping the country after the first few unit delivery. (As I have been told)

The C14 is a brilliant machine and I am beyond happy with mine.

Nice post  ruffuride, good for people like me that haven't owned any other ST bikes and wonder what the others are like. It's nice to hear the comparisons and to hear people, who have had BMW experience, talk about what a great bike our Concours is!

Now, if I can just figure out the WINDSCREEN issue :banghead: I'd be 100% satisfied! I struggle with finding the right windscreen, it drives me nuts!!

Maybe my expectations are too high?

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline KawiMick

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
Nice post  ruffuride, good for people like me that haven't owned any other ST bikes and wonder what the others are like. It's nice to hear the comparisons and to hear people, who have had BMW experience, talk about what a great bike our Concours is!

Now, if I can just figure out the WINDSCREEN issue :banghead: I'd be 100% satisfied! I struggle with finding the right windscreen, it drives me nuts!!

Maybe my expectations are too high?

Mike

Mike,
  ruffride stated a lot of good facts.  I too started my Sport Touring
on BMW's.  I had several posts on the original forum (before they erased it all) regarding my BMW experiences.  I had just over 300,000miles on BMW's before the C14 was announced.  Way back in 1990 I test rode a C10 and eventually passed it up for a 1984 R100RT BMW 60th Anniversary Edition.  I put about 50K miles on that one and ordered a 1993 K1100LT when they were first announced here in the USA.  I still
have that LT with around 150,000 miles on it. You'll see it when I get out there in November.  In 1996, the R1100RT was announced and after one test ride, I had to have one.  The Telelever front suspension was amazing
and the 90 HP was pretty good for a Boxer.  I put 85K on that bike and it
still lives in my garage here.  In 1999 or so I found a 1984 Last Edition R100RS in Pearl White with 19K miles on it.  Still have it and it gets out a few times a year.  All my BMW's have been reliable but the C14 was the bike I was waiting for, handling, power and reliability in one package. I ordered my C14 in Oct 2009 and took delivery Dec 5th. I rode it home and tore it apart to install all goodies I had purchased for it's arrival. Full Muzzy exhaust, Starcom Intercom, Garmin GPS, Fuzeblock, Powerlets, Cee Bailey tinted Ultra windscreen, Phil's rack, risers and wedges.  Later I installed a Rocky Mayer Leather dual heated seat. 
  Windscreens:  My last long ride was to Canmore, Alberta and we had winds all the way up and back.  I had such bad buffeting on that trip that I started hunting when I got home to fix it.  I ordered an MRA Xcreen tinted and the touring Xcreen adjustable wing.  The Xcreen was OK but too small.  I added the two pressure relief holes to my original C14 windscreen and added the adjustable touring spoiler from Xcreen.  That is a very good compromise and it's still on my bike a year later.

Mick
PS  (Douglas is coming out to give us an estimate Sat)
'84 R100RS Pearl White Last Edition
'93 K1100LT Astral Blue Metallic
'96 R1100RT Sine Blue  Tucson,AZ/Santa Paula,CA
'10 C14 Candy Neptune Blue         Born OK the First Time

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
Mike,
  ruffride stated a lot of good facts.  I too started my Sport Touring
on BMW's.  I had several posts on the original forum (before they erased it all) regarding my BMW experiences.  I had just over 300,000miles on BMW's before the C14 was announced.  Way back in 1990 I test rode a C10 and eventually passed it up for a 1984 R100RT BMW 60th Anniversary Edition.  I put about 50K miles on that one and ordered a 1993 K1100LT when they were first announced here in the USA.  I still
have that LT with around 150,000 miles on it. You'll see it when I get out there in November.  In 1996, the R1100RT was announced and after one test ride, I had to have one.  The Telelever front suspension was amazing
and the 90 HP was pretty good for a Boxer.  I put 85K on that bike and it
still lives in my garage here.  In 1999 or so I found a 1984 Last Edition R100RS in Pearl White with 19K miles on it.  Still have it and it gets out a few times a year.  All my BMW's have been reliable but the C14 was the bike I was waiting for, handling, power and reliability in one package. I ordered my C14 in Oct 2009 and took delivery Dec 5th. I rode it home and tore it apart to install all goodies I had purchased for it's arrival. Full Muzzy exhaust, Starcom Intercom, Garmin GPS, Fuzeblock, Powerlets, Cee Bailey tinted Ultra windscreen, Phil's rack, risers and wedges.  Later I installed a Rocky Mayer Leather dual heated seat. 
  Windscreens:  My last long ride was to Canmore, Alberta and we had winds all the way up and back.  I had such bad buffeting on that trip that I started hunting when I got home to fix it.  I ordered an MRA Xcreen tinted and the touring Xcreen adjustable wing.  The Xcreen was OK but too small.  I added the two pressure relief holes to my original C14 windscreen and added the adjustable touring spoiler from Xcreen.  That is a very good compromise and it's still on my bike a year later.

Mick
PS  (Douglas is coming out to give us an estimate Sat)

Hi Mick and thanks for the info. Hopefully Fairweather works out for you.

I like when I hear BMW riders talk good stuff about our Connie! I've wanted the Connie since I saw it in '08 and had never thought about another bike. I went 20 years between bikes so this is my first since my ZX6 way back when! I love my Connie but when it's the only "big bike" you've owned it makes you wonder.

Windscreens ... Arrrggghhh! I had the MRA on Madstad brackets and, like an idiot, sold it! I sold it before I went to the new and smoother Ibuki modular helmet and now I'm regretting it! It wasn't that the MRA blocked more wind but it did make the air "smoother" and not so loud and choppy. I am probably going to end up ordering another MRA X-creen and putting that on for good! I've tried all the others and none do the job very well in my opinion.

When are you going to be out here? I look forward to seeing you and riding with you. We need to go up and over Hwy 33 and grab a burger in Maricopa or something in that area! We can go wherever we decide to go, so many good options out here!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline ruffride

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
Mike,

Thank you for the kind words. I have a 7jrock shield on my bike. I had them do a slight alteration at the top to reduce overall surface area at that spot. I am very happy with my shield and the service. They are worth a look.

Did they get Hwy 33 cleared of the mudslide and open? Do you know if they took measures to keep that section from being wrecked by future storms?

The only bike in the BMW line that compares directly to the C14 is the K12 and K1300 Gt. This bike had a few small issues so not a huge risk to buy, but for the most part is as close of a comparison power size and layout as you are going to get. Yes the K12/13 has electronic cruise but beyond that not much more than a heated seat separate the two.  The K 12 and 13 GT are now bikes of the past and BMW does not really make a GT any more even though they have the 1600 marked that way. C14 is a fantastic machine worth riding many, many miles.

My list of BMWs ridden and owned*

R75/5*                                             F650cs
R75/7
R100rt*                                           K100R
R850r                                              K100rt*
R1100r*                                           K1100rs
R1100rs*                                         K1200rs*
R1100s                                            K1200gt gen 1*
R1150r*                                           K1200gt gen 2
R1150rs*                                         K1200s*
R1150gs
R1150rt*
R1200c
R1200st
R1200rt

For the record I have also owned a C10

Best,

Jon
Enjoy the ride

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »
Mike,

Thank you for the kind words. I have a 7jrock shield on my bike. I had them do a slight alteration at the top to reduce overall surface area at that spot. I am very happy with my shield and the service. They are worth a look.

Did they get Hwy 33 cleared of the mudslide and open? Do you know if they took measures to keep that section from being wrecked by future storms?

The only bike in the BMW line that compares directly to the C14 is the K12 and K1300 Gt. This bike had a few small issues so not a huge risk to buy, but for the most part is as close of a comparison power size and layout as you are going to get. Yes the K12/13 has electronic cruise but beyond that not much more than a heated seat separate the two.  The K 12 and 13 GT are now bikes of the past and BMW does not really make a GT any more even though they have the 1600 marked that way. C14 is a fantastic machine worth riding many, many miles.

My list of BMWs ridden and owned*

R75/5*                                             F650cs
R75/7
R100rt*                                           K100R
R850r                                              K100rt*
R1100r*                                           K1100rs
R1100rs*                                         K1200rs*
R1100s                                            K1200gt gen 1*
R1150r*                                           K1200gt gen 2
R1150rs*                                         K1200s*
R1150gs
R1150rt*
R1200c
R1200st
R1200rt

For the record I have also owned a C10

Best,

Jon

Hi Jon and you're welcome. I do appreciate the comparisons from people that have that experience.

WOW, you've ridden a few Beemers! The nice thing about our bike is that you can add a heated seat (I have a Baldwin with heat ... Baldwin is best IMO) and the cruise can be added with a weekend's worth of work and $300! I had one but it died. I may be replacing it soon.

Now, are you in So. Cal.? Not many would ask about Hwy 33 unless they're here or have been here. I didn't here about a mudslide on the 33 but they had a HUGE slide on the 5 going up the Grapevine, which you can get to if you take the fun part of the 33, the part with all the twisties :thumbs:! Just to share, the 33 is a block from my house and the road up the canyon is 3 miles away ... basically my backyard! Also, another fun ride, Hwy 150 around Lake Casitas is 2 miles from my house so I spend some time on both. I love the Hwy 150 ride up to Carpenteria and then riding the 101 up to Santa Barbara and then taking the 154 up to Solvang for breakfast or lunch. Then, take the 154 North to Zaca Station Rd. and ride the twisties through the Wineries and back to the 166, to the 33 and home ... great ride for the day!

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I've ridden a lot of BMW's from the factory demo trucks. The BMW I liked the most was an R1200R with the old Tele-lever front end. If I was in the marked for a naked standard and had a lot of disposable money, that would be the BMW I'd be most interested in. A lot of "if's".

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
I've ridden a lot of BMW's from the factory demo trucks. The BMW I liked the most was an R1200R with the old Tele-lever front end. If I was in the marked for a naked standard and had a lot of disposable money, that would be the BMW I'd be most interested in. A lot of "if's".

Since we're on the subject, do you think the Connie is one of the best you've owned or ridden? Talking all-around-best here?

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA