Author Topic: Windshield Gremlin  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Jrodizzle07

Windshield Gremlin
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:17 PM »
So once or twice over the year my windshield has gotten stuck in the "up" position. It would keep going up, and then next time just work fine. Well the last couple days it has been stuck trying to go up and won't stop. Once it hits the top, the headlights dim ever so slightly so I know it's still putting juice to the motor and I'm sure that would fry that motor quickly... I can get it to go back down, but as soon as I let off the down switch, it goes back up all the way. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm guessing take a look in the switch in the handlebar? Also, I couldn't find the fuse under the seat for the windshield, I was just going to disable it for now so I can ride it without worrying about frying the (im sure expensive) motor.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Windshield Gremlin
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »
Take it to the dealer if under warranty.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
Take it to the dealer if under warranty.
+1
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:48:19 AM »
Sounds like the limit switch failed somehow.  First time I have seen a post of this type of problem.  Definitely a warranty eligible issue.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
My guess would be the Windshield Up Relay is sticking. I don't have my manual here so I am not sure where it is located. I would start there.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
I'll have to look at my paperwork, but I'm pretty sure my warranty is up already. It's a 2012 I bought used in 2014 from a dealership.
Jarrod
Boone NC

Offline BMahar

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
  My 2011 came with a 36 month and unlimited mileage warranty. Depending on the month you purchased it, the bike might still be covered or if you got the extended warranty.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »
So once or twice over the year my windshield has gotten stuck in the "up" position. It would keep going up, and then next time just work fine. Well the last couple days it has been stuck trying to go up and won't stop. Once it hits the top, the headlights dim ever so slightly so I know it's still putting juice to the motor and I'm sure that would fry that motor quickly... I can get it to go back down, but as soon as I let off the down switch, it goes back up all the way. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm guessing take a look in the switch in the handlebar? Also, I couldn't find the fuse under the seat for the windshield, I was just going to disable it for now so I can ride it without worrying about frying the (im sure expensive) motor.

It's the 30 amp fuse in the middle fuse block in front of the tool kit. It is for both up and down, so you'll need to hold the down button and then pull the fuse when it stops at the bottom while holding the button in. (at least I think that will work)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Run your owner info here...http://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/UpdateInfo

I don't think that works anymore. I remember using it when I extended my warranty to check on the new date, but I haven't been able to get it to give me any info lately. It just takes info and gives nothing in return.  :'(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
Good to know. I haven't needed to try it myself lately.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:05 PM »
Just call your local dealer and give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you exactly when the warranty expires/ed.  And if it is not expired, I highly recommend you IMMEDIATELY buy the extended warranty.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
I'll check with my local dealership tomorrow to see, hopefully I have some warranty left, and if so I will extend...
I did see the 30A that says screen, I just figured it meant the instrument cluster so didn't try it haha... I'll get it to the height I want then pull the fuse for now. It stayed down today, but I only had it on a few minutes moving it out of the garage, so it very well have started acting up again if I rode it.
Jarrod
Boone NC