Author Topic: Tar snakes!  (Read 8060 times)

Offline clogan

Tar snakes!
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »
Can somebody tell me where these things come from!!!!
Seems like they just spontaneously pop up over night! I can't believe a highway crewman trails along on foot dripping tar out of a drip can...Or do they?

I'm convinced that tar snakes are sort of like crop circles; they just randomly appear out of nowhere.
Anybody ever see them being formed? Got pics? I've been driving for almost 50 years, and have never happened upon a tar snake being created.

Anyhow, it's the time of year when we need to start being very careful.  Those things can cause a get off in no time flat.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: Tar snakes!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
Must be a northern thing. 

I have seen them being created.  They are supposed to have some grit in there, but I think they cut costs or are just lazy.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »
Here are them critters at work.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
Looks like government work to me. Probably two in the truck, driver and spotter. The three on the road. And two in the chase vehicle, driver and cameraman. All to make life miserable for others.  8)

Offline tomp

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
They are all over Texas.  During the summer, they have to be as dangerous as black ice is in the winters up north.  I have set more than one bike sideways after coming into contact with them in sweepers.  Dodging them in the curves is almost like a solemn event.  My  worst time was on a KLR650, WITH DIRT TIRES.  Absolutely no grip... Scary.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline UhOh

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
Can somebody tell me where these things come from!!!!

In my understanding they are to seal cracks in - usually - asphalt pavement so ground water doesn't seep down,
 freeze and destroy the pavement well beyond the original crack 1/2" width.

In non-freezing climates, Texas?, I don't understand the function except guess maybe to deny plants the moisture needed to sprout in middle of road.

Common in NW USA.

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
In my understanding they are to seal cracks in - usually - asphalt pavement so ground water doesn't seep down,
 freeze and destroy the pavement well beyond the original crack 1/2" width.

In non-freezing climates, Texas?, I don't understand the function except guess maybe to deny plants the moisture needed to sprout in middle of road.

Common in NW USA.
They are placed all over Texas to simply screw with motorcyclists. Seriously, especially in the coastal regions, the ground beneath the roads shifts so much, that possibly the tar helps keep the areas surrounding the cracks from separating further.  Getting onto areas where the separation and shifting has happened, is even scarier than tar snakes.  Very common occurrence around here. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:27:08 PM by tomp »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »
Saw them doing that on Friday. Must be expecting a cold winter here in Phoenix.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline pb

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
ya'll are funny...  ;D  We get them here in bama. But clearly not as bad. What I just luv is when the tar seeps up and pools from the tar and gravel roads in long thick strips. Usually right where the cages wheels trek.  These are so much fun in a drizzle... or hot 100 deg day...

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
Shortly after buying me C14, I took a 3000 mile trip across several states with some friends out to Zion National Park in Springdale, Utah. After staying there a few days, we went on to Bryce Canyon, and then across the Grand Staircase Escalante. The trip went great... until we started down the Staircase.

At the bottom, there's a sharp hairpin curve... about 120 degrees worth.
Halfway into the curve, they had filled hundreds of cracks with tar... no chat, no aggregate... just oily tar! Those sorry stock BT-016 Bridgestones are terrible on them! Yikes!

I came very close to dropping my new bike 3 times on that curve! Felt like the front end moved 6" at warp 10, Sulu! Then, even after recovering, going slow and upright...for the next 10 miles I could feel it slip every time I went across them... and they were everywhere!

Freaked me out! I now watch out for them.

I've also noticed the Michelin PR2's don't do that on them as bad. Way better tires!

I hate those tar snakes. They suck, and I agree that the DOT must do it to sabotage bikers, and hide in the bushes laughing when we crash!

Lol...
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline tomp

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
When riding on gravel or even sand based roads, you know what to expect and ride accordingly.  With tar snakes, you just don't which one, when, or why, it will cause the bike to do a real number on you.  Another month form now, the afternoon heat will create some real hazards for riders around here. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 05:16:52 AM »
Shortly after buying me C14, I took a 3000 mile trip across several states with some friends out to Zion National Park in Springdale, Utah. After staying there a few days, we went on to Bryce Canyon, and then across the Grand Staircase Escalante. The trip went great... until we started down the Staircase.

At the bottom, there's a sharp hairpin curve... about 120 degrees worth.
Halfway into the curve, they had filled hundreds of cracks with tar... no chat, no aggregate... just oily tar! Those sorry stock BT-016 Bridgestones are terrible on them! Yikes!

I came very close to dropping my new bike 3 times on that curve! Felt like the front end moved 6" at warp 10, Sulu! Then, even after recovering, going slow and upright...for the next 10 miles I could feel it slip every time I went across them... and they were everywhere!

Freaked me out! I now watch out for them.

I've also noticed the Michelin PR2's don't do that on them as bad. Way better tires!

I hate those tar snakes. They suck, and I agree that the DOT must do it to sabotage bikers, and hide in the bushes laughing when we crash!

Lol...
I had to read your entire post in a pirate voice after that. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 05:30:30 AM »
Must be a northern thing. 

They are a mid-atlantic thing too, since they are all over Virginia roads.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 05:54:24 AM »
They are in my subdivision now.  What's worse, though, is when they resurfaced some of the streets and used this tar and just throw sand all over the place method  :yikes: .  Took a year or more for that to clear out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 06:22:14 AM »
I had the front tire slip while riding up Beartooth pass on my Versys.  Had only one hand on the bars at the time because I was hitting a button on the GPS.  Man, my thighs almost put a dent in the fuel tank that day!   :o
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:24 AM »
I had to read your entire post in a pirate voice after that. ;D

Haha! Sorry 'bout that Matey!
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr