Author Topic: Tip-over switch [ignition kill]  (Read 17915 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Tip-over switch [ignition kill]
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
By the mechanism of sideways G forces as the bike 1) falls over 2) flips over (perhaps repeatedly). All of this of course assumes a riderless bike will not continue to generate neutral (sideways) G forces....   Now if the bike does behave itself and continues to negotiate turns as needed then I guess it could run riderless for quite some time.  ::)

Brian

By what mechanism does the electronics package know if this bike becomes riderless?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
It's the magnetic flux.  It's all about that flux.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
has anyone tried unbolting the sensor, starting the engine and slowly tilting the sensor to see if it cuts off the engine?
i tried that once with a ZX10R, i'm guessing it would be the same sensor used across most kawasaki bikes. tilting it slowly didn't really cut the engine. i dropped a ZX10R slowly once (parking lot incident) and was surprised that the engine did not cut out. not sure if it was a defective sensor, or those sensors need a fairing-cracking bump in order to kill the engine.

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »
By BDF's very thorough explanation, I guess it has to fall. I always thought it had to tip past a certain point, and was thinking I had read somewhere that canyon cages made it not lean far enough, maybe that was the gen 1 bathroom handle ones. IDK, only one I've kicked on the sensor  before was on dirtbikes.
Jarrod
Boone NC
2012 Concours, 2000 Vmax, 2003 XT225

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
This is what the one in a V-Strom looks like. Very easy to see how it works; the brass ring slides around the arc due to side force (only), and once it goes far enough, about 45 degrees by the looks, it makes electrical contact between the carrying rod and the stops on either side. It may be possible to lean a stopped bike over very slowly and not have the ring slide far enough to make electrical contact but I do not believe the bike could actually be down on its side without tripping that switch.

I have not seen the switch used in the C-14 and am simply assuming it is similar.... but of course that may not be correct.

Previous (unpleasant) experience has shown me that both the 'bike down' switch works on my own C-14, and the ignition must be shut off and turned back on before it will restart.

Brian

By BDF's very thorough explanation, I guess it has to fall. I always thought it had to tip past a certain point, and was thinking I had read somewhere that canyon cages made it not lean far enough, maybe that was the gen 1 bathroom handle ones. IDK, only one I've kicked on the sensor  before was on dirtbikes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 11:56:37 PM »
here's what i found in the zx10r manual. couldn't find much explanation on this sensor in the C14 manual.
different way of sensing, but same output.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:53 AM »
This might be the limit angle to racing bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaOVNqA7lBA
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 05:32:24 AM »
When I totaled my 2008 sliding down the road, my bike engine was off when I finally got up. I got the bike to the standing position before walking to the house. When I came back to the bike it started up after about 2 tries. The shift lever was broke, so I had to put it in gear by hand to get it home.

Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:11 AM »

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
  :o That video had me dying hahaha. See, they should have had a kill switch with a tethered lanyard...
Jarrod
Boone NC

elp_jc

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
Of all the bikes I've owned until recently, only some Hondas had a 'tip-over' sensor. Don't remember reading my BMWs had it, but maybe they did (never needed to find out, thankfully). Anyway, that's good to know the Connie has it. Don't remember the owner's manual mentioning anything about that though.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 12:12:44 AM »
Don't remember the owner's manual mentioning anything about that though.

Page 147

elp_jc

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Page 147
Indeed. Thank you for pointing it out. For those lazy enough not to check, you need to turn the ignition 'OFF' then back ON to be able to restart the bike after a spill 8). Anyway, great to know it has one. Many modern bikes still don't have one, which is stupid IMO.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
well, i had a big tip over on the right side, bike was basically flat due to the slope. my 09 stayed running and i had to reach in to shut it off.
sounds like it should have shut off on its own ??

my story is at the other place in the cda area. like a dumb ass i tipped over at little Switzerland NC.  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
well, i had a big tip over on the right side, bike was basically flat due to the slope. my 09 stayed running and i had to reach in to shut it off.  Sounds like it should have shut off on its own ??

Since the sensor appears to be a very crude mechanical device (if it is similar to the posted photo in a different Kawasaki), I suppose it could be less than reliable (and stick)?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »
Since the sensor appears to be a very crude mechanical device (if it is similar to the posted photo in a different Kawasaki), I suppose it could be less than reliable (and stick)?
Forget about sticking. It could kill the engine in a bumpy curve when leaned over :o. Hope it has a more sophisticated (and yes, reliable) one. I'd like to see a picture of an opened switch to see what we have in there. Anybody? ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
Forget about sticking. It could kill the engine in a bumpy curve when leaned over :o. Hope it has a more sophisticated (and yes, reliable) one. I'd like to see a picture of an opened switch to see what we have in there. Anybody? ;D

Brian posted one here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19378.msg239394#msg239394  but it is not from the Concours.  But it is also very common for a company to keep reusing such parts on different models, year after year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jrodizzle07

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »
my story is at the other place in the cda area. like a dumb ass i tipped over at little Switzerland NC.  :-\

Hey, at least you were on a great road at the time, not in the driveway  ;D
Jarrod
Boone NC