Author Topic: Motorcycle.com Connie vs BMW1600 Road Test 8/11/2011  (Read 22980 times)

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
Re: Motorcycle.com Connie vs BMW1600 Road Test 8/11/2011
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
Thought this might be a good place to put this. LOL! .......and before any panties get in a wad, I used to ride BMW before the C-14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGibK_d0mQ0

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:37 PM »
Thought this might be a good place to put this. LOL! .......and before any panties get in a wad, I used to ride BMW before the C-14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGibK_d0mQ0

:rotflmao: Good one!

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
Wow Jim...I fell in love with the GS after a demo once, but I never really thought anyone rode them in the dirt!

Offline tomp

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Very funny, but it says more about the owners than the actual motorcycle.  We've all spent more on "whatevers" than we should have, and this video really brings us all to light.   I really wanted to see him lift it up at the end, but knew he couldn't...  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
They are now $39k and some dealers up charge....to be fair they do come with nearly every chrome trinket HD sells.

And after one is done paying a FORTUNE for it, he is still left with 945+ pounds, a 5" ground clearance, and....  worst of all.....  a 45 degree V-twin..... eeeeeeew.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
And after one is done paying a FORTUNE for it, he is still left with 945+ pounds, a 5" ground clearance, and....  worst of all.....  a 45 degree V-twin..... eeeeeeew.

Maybe so but is puts out 100 horsepower!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
Sure but not all at once.... Maybe 40 Hp on Tuesday, then perhaps 45 Hp on Thursday and so forth.

:rotflmao:

Maybe so but is puts out 100 horsepower!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
 :battle:   Nobody said "All at once"   :chugbeer:

Besides that, they squeeze all of that power out of a mere 1800 cc engine!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:17 AM »
OK, I know you guys are anti Harley, believe me I had my reasons to own one and more so my reason to get rid of it. the 110 motor does put out a bit of torque, but has some serious heat issues. The CVO bikes are well put together and come with every chrome item HD makes, worth almost $40k, that depends on the person. I will admit I learned being a pirate wasn't for me, I spent 10 years and thousands of $$ being one. When I bought the connie last year as a second bike to commute I knew after a month the Harleys days were numbered.

The best thing that came from my Harley was that 4 years later I sold it for $25k that now sits in my account waiting to be spent on another bike..or not.

This adds to the reason of why I look at the bmw with the same thoughts I have about the HD, nice bikes but are they really worth all the extra money?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
Sorry Jeep, I'm definitely not anti-Harley, just having a little fun. I know a few folks that talk about my "jap crap". It's all good. I'm absolutely thrilled Harley is successful. I wish there was an american company that could actually compete with the Japanese and European bikes in the sport, ST, dirt, enduro and adventure segments. If your into cruisers and the life style, Harley is the only way to go IMO. I prefer performance over style, but that's just me.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 06:59:01 AM »
Rhino...don't worry about it...believe me I didn't go to the mens room and have a cry. I wont talk bad about HD because I never know someday I might buy one again...when im ready to go that slow, handle that bad and roast my nuts. Seriously they do make a nice product just totally different than what were riding.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:50 AM »
I still own 2 Harleys and intend to own more in the future. I really like a lot of things about them. It's all about what you're looking for. The guy who wants a sports car isn't interested in a pick up truck. That's another nice thing about America, we have many choices.  :)   

Harley really needs to put a water cooled, much higher output engine in their touring bikes but they are fighting it tooth and nail. Sales of water cooled Harleys would probably be a bit weak initially but the consumer would come around. Due to ever stricter emmissions regulations, they will have to so it eventually.

As far as price, Goldwings are over $26k. Throw a few farkles on top of that and $30k isn't out of the question. The Goldwing may be a "better" bike than the FLHTC but it has no personality.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 08:24:38 AM »
I always thought HD should have used the Revolution engine as a touring platform.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
Absolutely. While there is much to be said for tradition, there is nothing wrong making technological advancements to improve things. The cars with computer controlled carburetors are a fine example. EFI was like voodoo or some other black magic to domestic manufacturers. Water cooling a V-Twin while maintaining a traditional, aesthetically pleasing, design seems to have Harley baffled.

To me, my Kawasaki is like a late model Lexus coupe and my Harleys are like the Rat Rod you take out once in a while just because. In a world full of technological marvels it's nice to embrace "Old School" on occasion. I simply no longer want to do it every time I ride.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »
So how are the "shower" head Harley's selling? I hope they sell well. Stealth water cooling could keep their engines more up to date while maintaining the traditional look and sound. I do think push rods and single pin crank are a must for Harley because without them it wouldn't be a Harley anymore.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
Water cooling is only on the top of the line models so they are kind of spendy. I know a couple of guys that have them and they are pleased so far.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
I have a friend with a new ultra nice radio... the water cooling is done on the rear cylinder exhaust port...they need to make the entire engine water cooled. It is only done on the models that have the lower fairings as they are used to house some of the cooler and bottle.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
BMW has shown on the R1200 that partial strategic water cooling can be very effective. I think that's the idea on the Harley water cooled engines as well.

Offline tomp

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »
BMW has shown on the R1200 that partial strategic water cooling can be very effective. I think that's the idea on the Harley water cooled engines as well.
I agree there. Haven't heard anything but praise for the Wet Head Beemers.  Many W/C engines are really ugly, and are covered with lots of tupperware.  "Our bike for example".  What makes a Harley is the fact that the engine is completely visible.  Older R  BMW engines were exposed for many decades too.  The engines for each are the drawing cards.  Notice that the new WC R's have much less coverings than those just a few years ago?  The R*R and RT are looking more alike each year.  The RNineT has a totally exposed drive train, but is still an oil cooled model.  Changing to a WC and maintaining that Retro look won't be easy, but if it can be done, BMW will do it.

I would love to have a Road Glide with a Revolution engine.  Now THAT would be a "touring machine".  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
Many W/C engines are really ugly, and are covered with lots of tupperware.  "Our bike for example".  What makes a Harley is the fact that the engine is completely visible. 

And therein lies the issue with HD 45 degree V twin.  It is more about the looks, sound, and feel than the actual ride (which is loud, vibrationy, inefficient, less reliable, and poor performing).  HD works very hard, at all costs and compromises, to try and retain the exact things that make it ancient technology while slowly adding a little modern technology to bring it up to where bikes might have been 30 years ago (or is that too modern?).  Certainly not all, but many (perhaps even most) HD owners have a HD for exactly that reason- image.

I much prefer something that works and performs well, while also being affordable, reliable, efficient, smooth, powerful, and comfortable.  I don't need to see (or hear) a flashy, exposed, chrome-encrusted engine to enjoy my ride.  Besides, I think a slick exterior is not only more pleasing, but a lot easier to keep clean!

To each his own!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc