Author Topic: Motorcycle.com Connie vs BMW1600 Road Test 8/11/2011  (Read 22981 times)

Offline Texas

Re: Motorcycle.com Connie vs BMW1600 Road Test 8/11/2011
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
Every now and then I think of replacing my 2009 Concours with the BMW K1600.  I get to thinking that paying $30k out the door is somehow going to give me this superior touring bike that does everything better.  Then I think again and it's hard for me to justify the pricy BMW when my Concours is the best bike I've owned.  I run Michelin 4's and they do make a big difference in handling.  I hope Kawi updates the dash soon and adds cruise control (which will give me an excuse to get a new one).  But the engine is what continues to amaze me.  Smooth and quiet with incredible power.  I still get an adrenaline rush when I twist the throttle.       
2016 Concours Metallic Moondust Gray
Previous Bikes
2009 Concours, 2008 BMW K1200R, 1995 Vmax, 2003 Vmax, 1997 Vmax, 1996 Vmax, 1992 Yamaha Seca II, 1970 something Yamaha 90

Offline Wayne

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »
Bmahar's BMW pricing update ( $32,000 out the door) had me scratching my head.  I know Harley sells CVO models in that price range appealing to a different audience so obviously there's a market for these over accessorized or over chromed class of motorcycles. Even as a self centered only child, a materialistic wannabe I couldn't (in my own feeble mind) justify dropping $32K for a motorcycle. Chrome tub or Bavarian rocket it's a motorcycle for heavens sake. Apparently certain manufacturers disagree and have customers to validate it.
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
I stopped putting much stock in reviews done by publications long ago.  I first noticed it in hunting rags I HAD subscriptions to.  The rating on the reviews had more to do with the size of the advertizing, and price of the item than with the actual item.  Then I saw very similar patterns to all types of reviews done by publications. 
Sure I still get info from the publications, but I don't give the author's opinion any credit.  I choose to make my own opinion, and encourage others to do the same.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 07:03:31 AM »
I stopped putting much stock in reviews done by publications long ago.  I first noticed it in hunting rags I HAD subscriptions to.  The rating on the reviews had more to do with the size of the advertizing, and price of the item than with the actual item.  Then I saw very similar patterns to all types of reviews done by publications. 
Sure I still get info from the publications, but I don't give the author's opinion any credit. I choose to make my own opinion, and encourage others to do the same.
....but....but...that's just socially unacceptable. We can't be having people running around making informed and educated decisions.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »

...but I don't give the author's opinion any credit.  I choose to make my own opinion, and encourage others to do the same.

....but....but...that's just socially unacceptable. We can't be having people running around making informed and educated decisions.

Haha...but this is an internet forum remember, everybody states their opinion as fact...lol.

And...god forbid you post a fact that differs from somebody else's fact...lol.

Rem :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
I beg to differ..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:56 AM »
55 tire should be on both bikes regardless of which bike is getting hated on in the forums
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

That's right.  We are all experts.  I forgot.   ::)  And we are supposed to believe everything we read. 

There is some good information just about anywhere, just need a BS filter to get the good from the information. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
I've ridden both, and I'd have a tough time saying my c14 was better, in any way, than the BMW.   

The money side, though......can you really compare bikes when one will end up at twice as much OTD?

If the BMW is 32, all in, I know I could find a new c14 for 16.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
I think there is an information pecking order: first are the GooRoos. Challenge them and you have really miss-stepped. Next is the 'Everyone Knows' "facts". Some are somewhat flexible such as while tire(s) is best and some others are sacrosanct, such as 'synthetic oil is better'. Like the third rail in a subway, touch that one and die....

This forum is actually quite good about the above; not too much of it and it never gets nasty or ridiculous. And there are far too many members here who are smart a$$es and have a good sense of themselves to allow GooRoo's to even get started (and that is a great thing IMO: the smaller the kingdom, the more petty the tyrant and man, do Internet forums have some incredible, petty tyrants).

Which leads us to the undeniable conclusion: KiPass and Car tires rule, BMW's suck.

But seriously, I used to have a lot of respect for BMW's. They were the bikes serious motorcyclists rode when I was a kid. They were innovative, reliable and very, very tough. I can get past the purchase price 'cause that only happens once and every man measures his own greed but I cannot get past the last 15 years or so of very poor design (mechanically), poor reliability coupled with outrageous parts and repair prices and a very limited warranty. It makes these bikes a terrible value and not anything someone like myself, who like to ride more than repair (and hope regarding things like the ECU and software) would be interested in.

The in-line six that BMW came out with really caught my eye and I was interested; I though it would go into a K1300GT frame but it ended up as they are now. For what it is worth, I have not yet seen a single one of those in any long distance motorcycle event, and that is a place where BMW's (mostly twins) and GoldWings are by far the dominant types.

Brian

Haha...but this is an internet forum remember, everybody states their opinion as fact...lol.

And...god forbid you post a fact that differs from somebody else's fact...lol.

Rem :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Hey OP, compared to a KGT brick, a Connie runs CIRCLES around that bike in every regard.

Nope, sorry, but it doesn't. It's amazing what a mammoth like the KGT can do. When it comes to take a 1st gear hairpin, the Kawasaki requires too much counter-steering and the fore-aft weight transfer upsets the chassis too much, making it twitchy. Then it's the beemer "running circles" around the Kawasaki, literally. You have to have the technique really nailed in order to keep your dignity when taking a hairpin on the C14. The beemer does it much, much easier. Not faster, just easier.
But anywhere else... I keep my Kawasaki, even if the price was the same. As Brian put it, reliability is a big plus for me, not to mention cost of ownership.
Don't hate the beemer: it's a great touring bike that can take curves. But the Kawa can keep up with most sport bikes and still take you to the next country in 90% of the comfort.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:14:38 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:13 AM »
I think there is an information pecking order: first are the GooRoos. Challenge them and you have really miss-stepped. Next is the 'Everyone Knows' "facts". Some are somewhat flexible such as while tire(s) is best and some others are sacrosanct, such as 'synthetic oil is better'. Like the third rail in a subway, touch that one and die....

This forum is actually quite good about the above; not too much of it and it never gets nasty or ridiculous. And there are far too many members here who are smart a$$es and have a good sense of themselves to allow GooRoo's to even get started (and that is a great thing IMO: the smaller the kingdom, the more petty the tyrant and man, do Internet forums have some incredible, petty tyrants).

Agreed.  You worded it better.  I really enjoy learning from those who really know the topic.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
When it comes to take a 1st gear hairpin, the Kawasaki requires too much counter-steering and the fore-aft weight transfer upsets the chassis too much, making it twitchy.

Yeah, "twitchy" or "uncertain", it is about the only weak performance/handling issue on the C14 that I can find.... low speed maneuvers are just not quite confident.   The PR4GT's help, but don't solve.  I thought it was just the nature of a tall/heavy bike, though.... or that the suspension was just not right for someone my size, or perhaps my lack of skill (which I never underestimate).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
Excellent point on the reliability of the K1600 motor Brian. If it wasn't for that, I'd own one now. Was waiting for YEARS for BMW to rectify all the serious mechanical issues, and at least 2 were still present in early 2015s. The first bikes drank oil like thirsty runners. They were plagued with water pump issues to this day. The water pump was redesigned and replaced THREE times, and they still leak. The first time was mostly a water pump issue, but the remaining cases were not. Somebody at BMW finally realized it's the lousy engine tolerances (stacked the wrong way) as the issue, with the misaligned engine shaft forcing the water pump to one side, and ruining it no matter how many times it was changed. Transmission issues (requiring replacement) were still present in late 2014 bikes. Switchgear wasn't fixed until 2014, leaving many riders stranded with short-circuits in the kill switch (BMW embedded copper circuits in the plastic housings, not realizing plastic expands more than copper, and breaking the circuits), but also cruise, lighting, and any other switch function. And I have to say this problem was also present on my '09 K1300S, so it took them FIVE FREAKING YEARS to address the issue. None of my previous BMWs were remotely close to being this bad. One thing is a $30K+ super reliable bike. But another a work-in-progress beta-tester, that you're just paying for the badge. Not caring about a badge in any way, I could simply not justify such a bike. Only reason I was going to buy one is there wasn't anything else with the features I liked (single-sided swingarm with shaft-drive, cruise, ABS/TCS, etc). Tried my luck with a new 2014 K1200RT, it just wasn't for me. And BMW issued a no-ride recall right when I was going for my first trip in March, so ruined my riding season. That was the drop that spilled the bucket for me, going from bad to worse, so gladly took the buyback option (which took 6 months to complete), and moved forward to the Connie. It doesn't have the single-sided swingarm I like, and some other bells and whistles. But overall, it has the most important features for me, and am glad I was 'forced' to look at other alternatives, since even with the little riding I've done, I like this bike WAY better than any of my previous BMWs. It keeps it as simple as it can get in 2015, with everything needed for a great sport-tourer. Have a great weekend gang.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 04:15:03 AM »
I forgot to mention the point of reliability once more. I am literally surrounded by BMWs. I mean, I live in Munich, remember? And I haven't seen one single KGT not having one major issue or the other. Yes, I know people that, once they sorted out the teething problems, enjoyed their bikes for 100 thousand miles and more. But I expect a reliable bike out of the box, and not being the involuntary test driver. And pay a premium in money AND time AND frustration for the "honour".
ADAC (the German Automobile club) once made a study as to why people buy one vehicle or the other, cars, bikes, vans, the lot. You know the reason number 1 for BMW buyers? Resale value. Yeap.
Me? Smiles. The rest is just money, which I won't remember.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »
I ran across an old (2007) british magazine. Bike, I believe it was.  It was introducing the then new GTR 1400.

Most of the stuff they talked about is common knowledge. The cams, TPMS, etc.

One part that caught my eye was when the designer of the bike talked abotu the machinate being designed  In such a way that it had to have great handling with a passenger on board.

I will admit to it taking a few thousand miles to fully trust, but the machine will handle a passenger like no other. On other bikes, a canyon ride, with wife onboard, became a not so enjoyable thing.  On this bike, its fun.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 06:43:21 AM »
yeap, and the front wheel takes off every time you look at the throttle, too  :chugbeer:

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Soo...this I find to be a great read! My dealer also sells BMW and they've known me for a while, after selling my Harley I thought about trading in the connie for a k1600gt. I went down to the dealer and my salesperson actually talked me out of it, he didn't want to go into too much detail but took me for a tour of the shop..i got the picture quickly. No doubt the kawi might not have everything the bmw has but it is much more reliable and at a fraction of the cost it afford some room for making it yours.

BTW...someone mentioned the Harley CVO bikes, I owned one 09 ultra CVO $37k. After owning that for a few years and spending $$ to make it run right without overheating I was and still am very hesitant to jump back into a high dollar garage queen!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
Soo...this I find to be a great read! My dealer also sells BMW and they've known me for a while, after selling my Harley I thought about trading in the connie for a k1600gt. I went down to the dealer and my salesperson actually talked me out of it, he didn't want to go into too much detail but took me for a tour of the shop..i got the picture quickly. No doubt the kawi might not have everything the bmw has but it is much more reliable and at a fraction of the cost it afford some room for making it yours.

BTW...someone mentioned the Harley CVO bikes, I owned one 09 ultra CVO $37k. After owning that for a few years and spending $$ to make it run right without overheating I was and still am very hesitant to jump back into a high dollar garage queen!

$37k  :yikes: For that price it had better provide services banned in 49 states.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
They are now $39k and some dealers up charge....to be fair they do come with nearly every chrome trinket HD sells.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/cvo-limited.html