Author Topic: Front brake pads  (Read 18005 times)

Offline wb57

Front brake pads
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Just noticed my front right brake pads are essentially gone, but the left side still has a lot of usable life.  I know this is common for this bike with the linked brakes.

Question: is it necessary or even recommended to replace both sides simultaneously?  I'll get the EBC HH pads and assume the OEMs are comparable.

Thanks.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Re: Front brake pads
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Replace both.  EBC HH are good pads, commonly used. OEM's are considered the preference for these particular bikes, but I have HH on mine right now. They work fine.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
I would not hesitate to replace the pads on only one side. No reason to do both if both sides are not worn. Just my <free> opinion though, of course :-)

I have used Gen. 1 OEM, Gen. 2 OEM and EBC and overall, prefer Gen. 2 OEM (C-14 pads 2010 or later). All C-14 pads fit all year bikes so using the earlier or late type pads is not a problem.

The OEM pads also have that wear indicator groove which I find quite useful.

Brian

Just noticed my front right brake pads are essentially gone, but the left side still has a lot of usable life.  I know this is common for this bike with the linked brakes.

Question: is it necessary or even recommended to replace both sides simultaneously?  I'll get the EBC HH pads and assume the OEMs are comparable.

Thanks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wb57

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
I would not hesitate to replace the pads on only one side. No reason to do both if both sides are not worn. Just my <free> opinion though, of course :-)

I have used Gen. 1 OEM, Gen. 2 OEM and EBC and overall, prefer Gen. 2 OEM (C-14 pads 2010 or later). All C-14 pads fit all year bikes so using the earlier or late type pads is not a problem.

The OEM pads also have that wear indicator groove which I find quite useful.

Brian

I guess part of my question is are the Gen 2 OEM (currently on bike) and EBCs close enough in compound that it wouldn't matter if one side was different than the other?  I'm going to order two sets, but I am cheap enough to only do one side if it won't cause a problem.

Thanks, some more.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline wb57

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Replace both.  EBC HH are good pads, commonly used. OEM's are considered the preference for these particular bikes, but I have HH on mine right now. They work fine.

Thanks for the reply.  Mind if I ask why you'd do both sides if the left still have plenty of life left on them?
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
I kind of agree on the replace the worn side, and leave the other side, but if you intend to use something other than the equal of whats on there now, I'd do both sets and keep the compound typical. So if you want EBC's do both sets.

I'll tell you after using EBC's, they friction pucks are not as thick as the OEM's are.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »

Why is that common for this bike with the linked brakes?
Isn't one-sided brake pad wear a result of uneven distribution of caliper force and/or a sticky piston?
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline wb57

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
Why is that common for this bike with the linked brakes?
Isn't one-sided brake pad wear a result of uneven distribution of caliper force and/or a sticky piston?

On this bike, when you step on the rear brake, it also activates the right, front caliper.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:41:19 AM »
On this bike, when you step on the rear brake, it also activates the right, front caliper.

Only on the Gen 2s though. Another reason the Gen 1s are superior.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »
I found almost no difference between Gen. 2 OEM and EBC pads other than two things: 1) the EBC pads have no wear slot indicator and 2) the EBC's are noisy- they make a continuous 'hiss' when used.

As far as I know, all brake pads for a C-14 are HH rated and so there will not be a great difference in pad performance or longevity. So mixing pads or pad types on the same wheel would be fine with me. And besides that, even if there were some reasonably small, say 10%, difference in performance, what difference would it make? Braking slightly harder on one rotor will not present any problem.... after all, for years motorcycles only had one rotor so all the braking was on one side. Two rotors are used simply to increase brake efficiency and reduce pad wear but it is not needed for correct braking to happen.

If I were in your shoes, I would only replace the set of pads that required replacing.

Brian

I guess part of my question is are the Gen 2 OEM (currently on bike) and EBCs close enough in compound that it wouldn't matter if one side was different than the other?  I'm going to order two sets, but I am cheap enough to only do one side if it won't cause a problem.

Thanks, some more.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wb57

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »
I found almost no difference between Gen. 2 OEM and EBC pads other than two things: 1) the EBC pads have no wear slot indicator and 2) the EBC's are noisy- they make a continuous 'hiss' when used.

As far as I know, all brake pads for a C-14 are HH rated and so there will not be a great difference in pad performance or longevity. So mixing pads or pad types on the same wheel would be fine with me. And besides that, even if there were some reasonably small, say 10%, difference in performance, what difference would it make? Braking slightly harder on one rotor will not present any problem.... after all, for years motorcycles only had one rotor so all the braking was on one side. Two rotors are used simply to increase brake efficiency and reduce pad wear but it is not needed for correct braking to happen.

If I were in your shoes, I would only replace the set of pads that required replacing.

Brian

Thanks.  I ordered two sets of the EBCs, but may replace only the right side based on this train of thought. 
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
If you do change brands/compounds, it might be a good idea to get the brake leavings off the rotor before the new pads are put on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wb57

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
If you do change brands/compounds, it might be a good idea to get the brake leavings off the rotor before the new pads are put on.

Changing brands, yes.  Compounds - different manufacturers interpretation of the same compound, I suppose.  Not familiar with "brake leavings" or removing them.  Could you elaborate?  Spray the rotors with brake cleaner?  Resurface them somehow?
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
Yep, resurface them. At least abrade away any remaining brake pad material, even if using the identical brake pads.

The way modern brakes work is that a significant amount of brake pad material is transferred to the rotors and in turn, it is that material that wears against the new brake pad material. Put another way, the brake pads leave a little brake pad on the rotor and that IS the wear surface. That is why the brake pads wear and the rotors do not, or at least not so much.

The problem is that the pad material is not deposited evenly and that causes brake pulsing. The way to fix it is to remove all the pad material from the rotor and that has to be done mechanically, not chemically or with any solvent. Turning the faces of the rotors (or drums) will do it but that also removes a bit of rotor material. An abrasive pad used against the rotor's surface works great- I like those hard, silicone carbine paint removal pads spun in a drill against the rotor while the rotor slowly turns.... it is easy to do if you have a wheel balancer. That way the surface is very even. But it can be done by hand, just be careful to take off all the original brake pad marks from the rotor and all will be well. And clean the abrasive off the rotors before using them so the abrasive does not get imbedded into the pad and continue to abrade the rotors.

This is how I do it:

Brian

Changing brands, yes.  Compounds - different manufacturers interpretation of the same compound, I suppose.  Not familiar with "brake leavings" or removing them.  Could you elaborate?  Spray the rotors with brake cleaner?  Resurface them somehow?

Offline wb57

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 04:44:57 AM »
Yep, resurface them. At least abrade away any remaining brake pad material, even if using the identical brake pads.

The way modern brakes work is that a significant amount of brake pad material is transferred to the rotors and in turn, it is that material that wears against the new brake pad material. Put another way, the brake pads leave a little brake pad on the rotor and that IS the wear surface. That is why the brake pads wear and the rotors do not, or at least not so much.

The problem is that the pad material is not deposited evenly and that causes brake pulsing. The way to fix it is to remove all the pad material from the rotor and that has to be done mechanically, not chemically or with any solvent. Turning the faces of the rotors (or drums) will do it but that also removes a bit of rotor material. An abrasive pad used against the rotor's surface works great- I like those hard, silicone carbine paint removal pads spun in a drill against the rotor while the rotor slowly turns.... it is easy to do if you have a wheel balancer. That way the surface is very even. But it can be done by hand, just be careful to take off all the original brake pad marks from the rotor and all will be well. And clean the abrasive off the rotors before using them so the abrasive does not get imbedded into the pad and continue to abrade the rotors.

Thanks.  I'll grab one of the paint removal wheels today.  I'm guessing you just pull against the opposite side of the rotor with the drill/wheel to clean it rather than going through the wheel from the other side?
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
I removed my rotors and put them inside out after I did the outsides.  Of course, then you put them back the way they were.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17971.msg219869#msg219869
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wb57

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:49:06 AM »
Due to the measures I have to take to get the front wheel off (not hugely elaborate, but I have to do this outside on a slightly sloped driveway), I'm going to do this with the wheel on the bike.  This assumes it doesn't seem like a bad idea once it's underway.  I do have a wheel balancer if it gets to that point.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:54 AM »
Just a thought but I would be wary of doing that due to the abrasive flinging around. But if you do do it that way, you might want to wipe down all the moving parts as best you can- wheel bearing points (where the axle hits the seal at least), fork ends, etc. Silicon carbide is nasty, sharp and very aggressive abrasive that you really do not want in / on any moving parts of the bike.

And I think it is going to be quite difficult to get the backside (Easy!) of the rotors w/out taking the wheels off. I flip them around when cleaning them on the tire balancer.

Brian

Due to the measures I have to take to get the front wheel off (not hugely elaborate, but I have to do this outside on a slightly sloped driveway), I'm going to do this with the wheel on the bike.  This assumes it doesn't seem like a bad idea once it's underway.  I do have a wheel balancer if it gets to that point.

Offline jbirdnc

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:21:15 AM »
What mileage do you get out of the front pad

Offline udoggie

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »
I got 12,000 out of mine.  I'm not sure if that is good or bad :-)

Jeff
Aloha, OR.