Author Topic: Front brake pads  (Read 17985 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Front brake pads
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:17 AM »
I replaced the OEM brake pads, front and rear, with EBCs yesterday. I cleaned the rotors, pistons, and calipers really well. Took her for a ride and bedded in the new pads.

These pads are a bit nosier than the stockers but they stop the bike VERY nicely.  :thumbs:

I had a bit of pulsation from the front brakes before the change and that's now gone. The rear pads were wore down to the wear indicators but the fronts were not, except for the outboard left side pads. These pads were WAY past the wear indicators and almost down to the metal of the backing plate. What's up with that? Everything seems to be moving and working ok so I don't understand the uneven wear.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 05:12:07 AM »
Caliper pistons sticking?  Slide pins not smooth?  I replaced my pins when I did my brakes about a month ago.  My Rav4 had worn the drivers side rear pads down to the backing plate.  The slide pins were atrociously rusted.  Piston seemed to go in and out ok so I'm thinking it was the pins.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:43 AM »
Caliper pistons sticking?  Slide pins not smooth?  I replaced my pins when I did my brakes about a month ago.  My Rav4 had worn the drivers side rear pads down to the backing plate.  The slide pins were atrociously rusted.  Piston seemed to go in and out ok so I'm thinking it was the pins.

The pins were a bit crappy but I cleaned and polished them up. Had I known there were in such a state I would have replaced them too. Maybe I'll go ahead and get some new pins and install them. Where did you get yours? 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »
From the pin store.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
You sure?...cause neither of these places had one.....

www.discountpinstore.com
www.thepintrader.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »
Ron Ayers... :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 04:54:41 AM »
From the pin store.

That must be where you got your head? How did you get that helmet to fit so well?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
Ron Ayers... :)

Gotta part number handy?   :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 05:03:05 AM »
That must be where you got your head? How did you get that helmet to fit so well?

:rotflmao:

Gotta part number handy?   :)

92043-0105

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 05:06:34 AM »

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »
Guys, remember the first disc brake quipped bikes?  I remember my 1979 xs 11 yamaha. Pretty good brakes, for the time, but in the rain they had zero brakign ability. It took 100 yards before the pads would bite.

What was the issue, back then? I noticed it crossing Wyoming. HORRIBEL rain, in late july.  Ice cold. I was at 80mph and hit the brakes...I stayed at 80 for a long time, then they bit.

Was this organic pads, or what was the issue? I'd hate to select a pad that did this for someone.

Offline tomp

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
I had a 78 Suzuki GS550, and my bud had a GS750.  They both worked pretty well in all conditions, as I remember.  After coming off all drum bikes before that, they were wonderful.  Compared to my RT and C14, they were not all that great, but for the time, I trusted the stopping power of the Suzukis...tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
That Yamaha xs11. Mine was a 79. I left home in a downpour, and it never let up. Somewhere past evanston, wyo I hit the brakes. It was 1/4 mile before anything happened.

Galfer HH brake pads are really nice in th ec14. They dont have the initial power we have stock, but are very progressive and linear.   Maybe nicer to use on a daily basis??