Author Topic: Adjusting throttle cables..  (Read 9422 times)

Offline rcannon409

Re: Adjusting throttle cables..
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
Just adjust them both at the same time, with your fingers only (do NOT use a wrench when adjusting- only tightening your nuts (easy!)), evenly until there is no slack. Just don't go beyond 'no slack' into the part there the cables actually keep the throttle tube under tension 'cause it will cause undue wear.

Another thing on these bikes with aluminum handlebars- the aluminum gets pretty worn and makes a terrible bearing surface. Someone suggested Teflon tape (the plain ole' plumber's tape) and to my amazement, it worked fantastic. Clean the handlebar and the inside the the throttle tube well, leave them dry and use one wrap of tape evenly placed on the handlebar and the throttle will act like it is new only better.

Brian

Brian, I never thought of the teflon tape, great idea.  I've always used small sections of the paint protection film.  You can get just the perfect amount to eliminate play.

You can also use the film to eliminate the back and forth play in the housing. I use a paper hole punch and stick the sticky side against the plastic housing. Do both sides and trim with an exacto knife for a perfect fit.

It lasts forever, and gives the throttle a great, exact feel.  I dont know why no one bothers to make billet aluminum tubes with bearings like we get for the offroad bikes???? They are very nice.