Author Topic: New Guy-Just joined up and looking to get into the S/T side of things with quest  (Read 8405 times)

Offline RubiconMike

To answer the O/Ps question, i ended up on a Connie 14 because I had ridden a Connie 10 for 23 trouble-free years and wanted something newer (fuel injection, etc.) and faster (duh). I bought a new Connie for the same reason I bought the original one, for me there is no other bike anywhere near the price that does so many things so well.

There are plenty of reviews out there, both amateur and professional, that will list all the different bikes strong and weak points. Do your homework and find the bike that fits your needs, riding style, pocketbook, and ego fulfillment.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
 :goodpost:   +1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
I was a cruiser guy but rented an ST1300 and loved the performance. I decided an ST bike was for me. Test road the R1200RT and the K1300GT. The beemers just were not there for the money IMO. The K1300GT was a disappointment. I was expecting a rip snorting bike but it just isn't. Then I test road a 2010 Connie. Of those 4 bikes it was by far the better bike. I really wanted to also ride an FJR but the bug had bitten me and I road a Blue 2010 Concours home after test riding it. ~40,000 miles later and no regrets.

Offline AZBob

The competition for this segment of bike is really the Concours 14 (obviously), the BMW K1600GT, the Yamaha FJR1300 and, to a lesser extent, the Honda ST1300. You can kind of also shoe-horn the Honda VFR1200 in there with its bags, and, if you like, the Ducati Multistrada Granturismo, if you're like me, and like options. BMW also has a new R1200RT coming out this year with the "precision cooled" parallel twin from the GS, which should put the power-to-weight ration on-par with the K1600.

The BMW is the best all-around bike. It's also the most expensive, by far. The FJR was updated last year and is a very decent bike -- the closest competitor to the Concours for value. The Honda is more expensive, hasn't been updated in a decade, and is basically waiting to be replaced. The VFR is pricey with the options and the riding position is very sports-oriented. It's the highest-performing bike, if included, however. The Multistrada is a supreme bike, I think it's the second-fastest behind the VFR, it's comparatively light, and can go offroad, but lacks cruise control and wind protection.

I've been following the developments of bikes in this segment (and close to it) for the past two-plus years very closely. I'm hoping that Kawasaki adds cruise control to the Concours very, very soon. Some days I wonder if I should just save a little more money and get the BMW. Other days I think it's crazy to spend that kind of money on a bike when one can get a left-over Concours for a very decent price (I like to buy new). The FJR is very competitive, but I hate the color. My sense of nostalgia wants to wait to see what Honda does with the ST1300 (I've been riding Honda since I was a kid and currently own two). On some days, I think I want a Ducati Multistrada 1200S Granturismo so I can do some adventure stuff combined with the S/T part. Argh.

Whatever I get, I want it to be my commuter bike, run around town bike, and touring bike. Basically, my do-everything bike. So it needs decent wind protection, heated parts (e.g. grips, seat), cruise control (or the ability to easily add it), very decent acceleration, and good luggage capacity.

Decisions, decisions.

Offline RBX QB

Whatever I get, I want it to be my commuter bike, run around town bike, and touring bike. Basically, my do-everything bike. So it needs decent wind protection, heated parts (e.g. grips, seat), cruise control (or the ability to easily add it), very decent acceleration, and good luggage capacity.

That rules out the Multi (tho it is a nice bike).

I considered the 14, FJR (before the re-design)and ST, and landed on the 14. Love it. Wish I could put more miles on it, but something always seems to get in the way. It was the best balance of design, features and price of the 3 (in my opinion).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline AZBob

That rules out the Multi (tho it is a nice bike).

Agree, but it adds offroad capability, so in my mind, it still contends. :-) If I bought it though, on a 40 degree (F) day, I'd probably lament my choice.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Agree, but it adds offroad capability, so in my mind, it still contends. :-) If I bought it though, on a 40 degree (F) day, I'd probably lament my choice.

If you wanna do offroad, buy some sort of offroad bike or a dual sport. Doing offroad on a 500 lb very expensive crazy hp bike is not smart, just one man's opinion. I raced MX and hare scrambles for years.   Been there, done that. I have a DR650 that gathers dust while I ride the daylights out of my C14, bought new in February and will hit 10k on it this year.  This is a bad ass bike. FJR doesn't have enough pep. BMW is too much and I have seen enough horror stories, Suzuki doesn't make a competitor.   For the money and what you get, this is one hell of a motorcycle.  I have no problem with my bike, the more I ride it, the more I like it.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Jake Mountain

I've wanted one since 07 and I finally just bought a nicely appointed 2011 with 9600 miles for $9000. And by nicely appointed ( farlked ) I mean like $3500 worth. I'm lovin it.
01 Kawasaki KLR 650
03 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
11 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
As well you should!  :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I've wanted one since 07 and I finally just bought a nicely appointed 2011 with 9600 miles for $9000. And by nicely appointed ( farlked ) I mean like $3500 worth. I'm lovin it.

Congratulations!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc