Author Topic: New Guy-Just joined up and looking to get into the S/T side of things with quest  (Read 8406 times)

Offline bamafan

tion.  Why did you settle on the Concourse and what were the reasons? What other S/Ts did you consider?

Thanks!
bamafan
Huntsville, AL

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
First of all....it's spelled Concours or C14 for short around here.  I bought it for it's looks and power.  In 2007, I looked at all the other S/Ts and thought that they were all bum :censored: ugly.  Also, had a C10 and a Voyager at the time so you might say I was more inclined to Kwak than any other brand..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Already owned a ST1300 and was coming off of a Wing... wanted OOMPH!  The C14 gives it, doesn't have any real reliablity issues, full 3yrs/unlimited mile warranty, that can be bumped up to 9yrs/unlimited miles while under the original warranty... name another bike manufacturer that will do that!

Oh... and it was Red, the fastest color.  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
In your dreams...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline p07r0457

I bought mine because of the value that it is.

I was daily riding my Honda CB700SC -- which was great for commuting.  However, it wasn't very comfortable on longer trips, and there was zero luggage capacity for pickup up some groceries or for trips.  I bought some soft bags to throw over the rear seat, but that was more of a stop-gap than a solution.

I knew that I wanted a bike that was more functional and comfortable for long trips -- I wanted to do some touring.  I looked at all the options, and I thought I'd end up on a BMW.  My hesitation, however, was the price.  while I was thinking about it, my friend encouraged me to check out Suzuki.  We went to the nearest dealer (about 30 minutes away) and we saw the V-Strom.  Nice bike.  It had a good balance of being bigger than my Honda, while not being huge.  And the Adventure packaged added the luggage that I wanted.  I'm also familiar with some forums where many V-Strom owners do tour, so I knew the bike could do it.  However, I was concerned that the 650cc parallel twin wouldn't satisfy me.  For some odd reason, Suzuki stopped making the 1000cc version, and the used one that the dealer had was overpriced.  So I went home, wondering if I wanted to accept the smaller motor.  After reading more about the bikes, online, I decided to check out the Kawasaki Versys (very similar to the V-Strom).  Price wise, the Versys was definitely more compelling (about $1500 less expensive than the V-Strom, based on my conversation between a Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer).  It was a nice bike, but again, the 650cc was a sticking point for me.  I knew it would be enough...  But I've never really liked "enough."  I much prefer to have "more" than enough.  My local Kawasaki dealer also sells Honda -- and I've always had a soft spot for Honda (all my other bikes have been Hondas).  I started looking at the CB1100 and I really liked it.  It had the retro look and it reminded me of my CB700SC.  With 1100cc I knew it would get me around with decent power.  Why did Honda only use a 5 speed?  I have no idea.  And of course the issue then became luggage, and it simply wasn't the perfect bike that I wanted.  The dealer then said, what about a Concours?  I had never given them consideration.  I assumed it was too expensive, because I knew it was a sport touring bike, and the BMWs I liked were too expensive.  I also assumed that it was not really all that special, and existed solely so Kawasaki had an offering in the category.  I mistakenly believed this because you don't really hear much about the Concours unless you own one, or know someone who does.  You hear about the Goldwing.  You hear about the BMWs.  You don't really hear much about the C14.  I was already at the dealer, so I said I'd take a look.  I love throwing my leg over new bikes, so I'll check out almost anything, anyway.  Once I started looking at what the C14 offered, I realized that this was much more than I expected.  It didn't have all the bells and whistles of the BMWs -- but it did have everything that I *needed*.  The few things that it didn't, I could add, myself.  It also fit me well, and it looks good.  The tag on the handlebar also showed a price that was less than the BMWs.  Of course, it was still more than I wanted to spend.  I made a comment along the lines of "well, I suppose if I were going to spend that much, I'd probably just splurge on the BMW".  The dealer told me not to bother, and he proceeded to make me a proposition that I really couldn't say no to.

If price were not a consideration, could I, in good conscious, say that the C14 is the best sport touring bike?  No.  I'd probably end up with the BMW.  It's a darn good sport touring bike -- well rounded in most respects -- but it's not the best.

However, when you consider price, I am not aware of any other bike that touches the C14 for value.

The C14 is not the fastest bike.
The C14 is not the cheapest bike.
The C14 is not the most comfortable bike.
The C14 is not the most reliable bike.
The C14 is not the easiest bike to wrench on.
The C14 is not the best looking bike.

Despite not being the best at any of these things, I cannot think of any other bike that is good as the C14 when you consider ALL of these categories.  (assuming you're somewhat similar to me, and want a bike that you can do everything with).

To answer your other question, I looked at pretty much everything from Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, Triumph, and Harley Davidson.

So that's the short story of how I came to own a C14.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
welcome to the forum.  you'll soon discover the mad pow-ah of KiPass.

and FYI these people posting are crazy
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
You can say that again.. :loco: :nuts:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
tion.  Why did you settle on the Concourse and what were the reasons? What other S/Ts did you consider?

Thanks!
bamafan
Huntsville, AL
I didn't settle.

Offline sherob

• Arena
welcome to the forum.  you'll soon discover the mad pow-ah of KiPass.

and FYI these people posting are crazy

You must ride a silver or even slower, black bike....  :_shudder_Emoticon
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I didn't settle.

Wow, I missed that!  Thanks!  +1!

Offline bamafan

Thanks for the responses.  Pretty bad when the new guy can't even get the name of the bike right.  :)

The settle comment was not meant to be a derogatory comment toward the C14 in anyway. Just asking how you ended up with one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Wanted one from the get go.  Fell in love instantly at the dealer and bought it on the spot.  There are no others!  >:( ;)

Offline bamafan

For the record, I've really been looking hard at a very low milage 2009 BMW K1300 GT. Like the bike, but I'm looking at 14.5K to purchase.

Offline bamafan

Oh and I presently ride a highly customized 2006 Suzuki M109R, which is not going anywhere,  but want something that I can take on trips while getting into curves at a quicker pace.

Offline Cuda

am curious to see if anyone can beat my K1300GT owners experience so far:

Purchased bike. At about 200 miles, right hand switch goes bad leaving me stranded. Had a tow guy come and tow it to Tallahassee and I had to get a friend to pick me up. Switch of course wasn't in stock. Had to wait a week or so. I had to drive down and trailer the bike back, around 300 miles round trip. No inconvenience there, I love spending my weekends trailering things around.

I told them to replace the left hand switch at the same time as of course it is going to fail. They wouldn't do it because of BMW "policy". I guess it's better to let known faulty items really screw the owner before actually replacing it outright. That's how you retain customers, right?

Around ~400 miles Engine starts stalling randomly. Drive it 300 miles round trip to have that looked at and the 600 mile service completed. They also did the foam brake reservoir recall. On the way home in the pouring rain, bike stalls constantly in traffic. At one busy intersection in particular, bike stalls on 1-2 up shift. Bike wouldn't restart right away and it was sputtering with oncoming traffic with super low visibility. Almost had to ditch the bike.

Bike stalls constantly now between up and down shifts, doesn't matter. Engine still struggles to restart within 5-seconds sometimes. Just as I am losing hope in BMW on the ride home today from work, the left turn signal ceases to function. So now I get the BMW privilege of riding another ~300 miles round trip after waiting a week for a part to get that switch replaced. Mind you, a switch that should have been replaced in the first place when the other one failed. Not to mention I need to do it all again when BMW decides to fix the small issue of bikes stalling left and right causing people to crash.

I think the only problem I haven't had is the fuel gauge low level to stop functioning and maybe a wheel falling off. I wouldn't expect half these issues on a $3,000 scooter let alone BMW's expensive top sport touring bike. So with these issues in the first 800 miles, my true worry is what is going to happen to this bike after the three year warranty ends?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega
my true worry is what is going to happen to this bike after the three year warranty ends? 

The funny thing is that you actually think it will make it to the three year warranty. By then, you'll have what, about 6,000 trailer miles?

Really sorry you are having all these problems. BMfW really sux on these stalling and switch issues. Keep up the faith (that a PCV will be made). Good luck.

Just for grins, copy/paste that post to the "Contact us" address at bmwna.

allikanbe
View Public Profile
Send a private message to allikanbe
Send email to allikanbe
Find all posts by allikanbe
  #3    08-06-2009, 08:15 PM 
 Pirate 
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 317 Times in 161 Posts    Join Date: Jun 2003

Re: Who has the worst BMW K1300GT owners story so far?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The good thing is... if you document each and every problem with BMWNA via their hotline.. no matter how small or large the issue may be NOW... they usually will step up to the plate and cover related issues even after the 3 years warranty has run out... They are good about that.. thank Allah.. Peace be upon him.

Pirate

The Jap bikes are looking better and better. I feel ya.

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

Mar 13, 2013 - Silver Spring, MD - Engine
04/17/2012: 2009 BMW K1300GT (PREVIOUS DEALERSHIP DEMO BIKE, 42 MONTH WARRANTY) CLUTCH BASKET SHATTERED CAUSING A MASSIVE DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE AND ALMOST CAUSING A MULTIVEHICLE ACCIDENT. CLUTCH/BASKET/COVER WERE REPLACED BY THE DEALERSHIP IN MD. REPAIRS IN THE AMOUNT OF $2,897.55 WERE COVERED 100% BY BMWNA. ENGINE ALLEGEDLY TURNED OVER SMOOTHLY, HOWEVER MOTORCYCLE REMAINED INOPERABLE AT THE DEALERSHIP. 05/22/2012: THE INITIAL REPAIR DID NOT FIX ALL THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE INITIAL CLUTCH BASKET FAILURE. UPON MOTORCYCLE REASSEMBLY, ADDITIONAL ENGINE KNOCK/NOISE WAS DETECTED. THE MOTORCYCLE REMAINED INOPERABLE AT THE DEALERSHIP. 08/01/2012: MULTIPLE PARTS INCL. AXLES, SHAFTS, BEARINGS, GEAR WHEELS, SPROCKETS, ETC. WERE REPLACED BY THE DEALERSHIP. TOTAL REPAIR COST: $4,108.38. BMWNA ONLY COVERED $1,750.83 AND I WAS EXPECTED TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE OUT OF POCKET. THIS REPAIR JOB DID NOT FIX ALL THE DAMAGE FROM THE ORIGINAL BREAKDOWN EITHER AS MORE ENGINE NOISE WAS DETECTED. MOTORCYCLE REMAINED INOPERABLE AT THE DEALERSHIP. 12/07/2012: THE DEALERSHIP ALLEGEDLY IDENTIFIED THE SOURCE OF THE OVERLOOKED NOISE AS THE BENT CRANKSHAFT / PRIMARY GEAR. ESTIMATES IN THE AMOUNTS OF $2,560.14 JUST FOR THE CRANKSHAFT OR $4,252.48 FOR THE COMPLETE BOTTOM END WERE ISSUED DIRECTLY TO ME. TO DATE, THE DEALERSHIP, BMWNA AND I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO RESOLVE THIS MATTER THROUGH INFORMAL CHANNELS.

Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

You NeeD to buy one
http://youtu.be/3eH6F8bVi7g
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

K1300Gt software update problem?

Just had dealer do the software update to my '09Gt. All supposedly went well, but now have the "low oil level" message. Took bike back to dealer and he tried multiple times to re-install the software, but still have the message showing up. He now says that I need a new bmk-computer, because he has some sort of fault showing up on it.
I know that the version of software being used was version 4.5.
I sort of get the impression that these dealers don't really know what their doing. It's kind of like----if this doesn't work---lets try this. If something doesn't work like it's supposed to work, why don't they get on the phone and talk to someone that should know? Like the engineers at BMW. I half think that there is NO problem with the bmk computer--they just got it screwed up trying to update the software.
I was told that BMW pays them .3 hours to do this update under warranty, and they played around with my bike for over 2.5 hours, and it still is screwed up.
I am on the verge of giving up on BMW. Over the years I have had 2 LT's, 2 RT's, and 2 GT's, all brand new. I never had problems like this with my harley's. I am ready to give up PERFORMANCE for some RELIABILITY. I have already lost an entire year of my warranty and only have 4000 miles on my bike.
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Damn Cuda, you're just full of happy news today.  :rotflmao:

Offline texrider

If you really want to ruin your day, ask them what they'll give you for it in cash...  :o
2014 Valkyrie