Author Topic: Polishing windscreen  (Read 4373 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Polishing windscreen
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
I got out my winter windscreen to install and notices quite a few fine scratches on it. I've always cleaned it with those microfiber cloths but obviously they still scratch a bit. What's the best approach to polish them out?

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline DGOLD

Re: Polishing windscreen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
When I had bought a Cee Baley for my old c10 they sent polishing agent and some special paper towels to use. Don't use them as they left a hazy appearance on the screen.
I've always just ignored the scratches and the ribbing from my riding buddies.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
I recently put on my CB for the cooler temps.
After washing it before installation I noticed lots of fine scratches.
Grabbed my can of Plexus plastic polish and a clean microfiber.
I think the shine keeps you from noticing the scratches.  :)
I drank the Cee Bailey kool-aid when I ordered my screen and got the "special" cleaner and towels.  "Yawn"
Nexus, I think, makes several different levels of plastic polish if the scratches really annoy you.
I don't look through my screen so I really don't care, that much.  ;)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline pistole

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
- the scratches seem to be inherent

- using some normal car wax does make the windshield much clearer/brighter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:02 AM »
Here is the real deal for the windscreen and headlights (light cover won't ever "yellow"):

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
Here is the real deal for the windscreen and headlights (light cover won't ever "yellow"):

I agree... been using it for years with great results!

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
I got out my winter windscreen to install and notices quite a few fine scratches on it. I've always cleaned it with those microfiber cloths but obviously they still scratch a bit. What's the best approach to polish them out?

Thanks, Matt

Mothers plastic polish.  Every time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
I agree... been using it for years with great results!

JJ

+1 me too, I've tried the others here and there and always go back
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
Mothers plastic polish.  Every time.

+1... that's what I use.  :thumbs:

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
Yes, the scratches are impossible to avoid, policarbonate has this problem. I use Easy-Water to make it shine and also to disperse rain drops as at the helmet.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
Scratches in the windshield are worse than the ones in the paint because most paint marks aren't even in the paint, they are in the coat of wax you have on the paint.  To truly get rid of them in a windshield you need a polishing compound and a circular buffer and you have to know how to use it.  Honestly, even with taller windshields most folks don't look through them, so it's not worth it to me to try to keep the marks buffed out.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
My CB always gets scratched everytime it gets cleaned (might help I don't clean it often i suppose  ;D )

Pretty much any rubbing compound will take them right out, by hand or machine.  I've used mequiars plastic cleaner and polish to great results, just as I have used numerous different rubbing compounds that I had handy at the time.  All of them work about the same and only take a few moments to clean it up.

I will warn you that I used the plastic polish and cleaner when I first bought it (used) and it got so slippery I dropped the damn windshield picking it up to install it on the bike, but it was crystal clear.

Offline Hamsters00

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
Pretty much any rubbing compound will take them right out, by hand or machine.  I've used mequiars plastic cleaner and polish to great results, just as I have used numerous different rubbing compounds that I had handy at the time.  All of them work about the same and only take a few moments to clean it up.

+1 on this product!
Hamster
C14
'00 - C10 traded up
'86 - C10 traded up

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
I like the Novus products for plastic; I use Novus #1 for general cleaning and it seems to leave something behind (wax maybe?) that makes it easier to clean the windshield after it is used. Novus #2 is abrasive and will polish out scratches either by hand or <carefully> using a power buffer or even a polishing bonnet mounted on a drill. Novus #3 is really quite coarse and not particularly useful for windshilds although it probably works great on aged headlight lenses.

Brian

Thanks, Matt
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
If you want to test a product to see how good it works, without doing it on your wind shield first, test it on a old CD or DVD.  They're made from polycarbonate, and someone usually has a scratched one around to experiment on.   

If it works, you resurrect a disk, and find a product for use on your shield, win-win.  If not, then polish the disk with some toothpaste, followed by plastic polish or finishing compound to revive it.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250