Author Topic: 2012-where is the "Mode" switch for ECO mode?  (Read 19171 times)

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
2012-where is the "Mode" switch for ECO mode?
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
This might sound stupid, but according to the manual, there is supposed to be a "Mode" switch on the right handlebar for switching into and out of ECO mode.  Such a switch does not exist on my bike.

Am I missing something?
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Offline RBX QB

Re: 2012-where is the "Mode" switch for ECO mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
EDIT::: Wrong answer removed. You're welcome. (At least I got us to the left bar  :o)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:44:10 PM by RBX QB »
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
In the frontal part of the left handler, there is a button called MODE. It is similar to the K-ABS and K-TRC. Turn the engine and before you leave, press MODE for a few seconds. You will have it at the screen. You cannot change it while driving, as you turn to the other informations, such as tire pressure, battery and so on.

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

Thanks, Carlao!  Never would have thought to look there.
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
Oh... the stupid "this should have been "flash-to-pass" button. Been a while since I've been on my bike.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
In the frontal part of the left handler, there is a button called MODE. It is similar to the K-ABS and K-TRC. Turn the engine and before you leave, press MODE for a few seconds. You will have it at the screen. You cannot change it while driving, as you turn to the other informations, such as tire pressure, battery and so on.

I engage mine all the time while driving. I have a 2010 ( i doubt the 2012 is different). Just hold the mode for 4 - 5 secs and ECO appears on the screen next to the ODO.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Flathead

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
I engage mine all the time while driving. I have a 2010 ( i doubt the 2012 is different). Just hold the mode for 4 - 5 secs and ECO appears on the screen next to the ODO.

+1, It's the traction control that can not be changed while driving. I turn ECO on and off all the time depending if I need a bit more power for passing, etc.... ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
+1, It's the traction control that can not be changed while driving. I turn ECO on and off all the time depending if I need a bit more power for passing, etc.... ;)

Theoretically, you shouldn't have to drop out of ECO to gain access to full power.  It will do that automatically based on throttle position & RPM.  You start to drive assertively, BAM, ECO drops off.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Theoretically, you shouldn't have to drop out of ECO to gain access to full power.  It will do that automatically based on throttle position & RPM.  You start to drive assertively, BAM, ECO drops off.

Yepola.

Flathead

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:34:21 PM »
Yes, I agree, in theory, but not in my actual experience???

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »

Uhm, yes you can turn K-TRC on or off while riding, I do it all the time, especially when I'm about to do something that might result in the front tire coming up.

You can also change in and out of ECO mode anytime except during hard acceleration (and maybe above 80MPH, as I recall).  You canot change linked braking modes while moving.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Flathead

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:49 AM »
Uhm, yes you can turn K-TRC on or off while riding, I do it all the time, especially when I'm about to do something that might result in the front tire coming up.

You can also change in and out of ECO mode anytime except during hard acceleration (and maybe above 80MPH, as I recall).  You canot change linked braking modes while moving.

Indeed CX, thanks for the correction. :)

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
At the 2012 C14, we can change some informations at the display while driving, but not the ABS, and the ECO mode only in movement and the K-TRC at any time.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
It's amusing how many wrong answer (and statements) there have been on this thread!

First, I'm sure the manual does not say that the mode switch is on the right handlebar.

Second, you do not push the K-TRC button to engage the ECO mode

Third, yes you can engage it while moving

Fourth, the traction control can be engaged/disengaged while moving

The linked braking mode cannot be changed while moving though.

BTW, yes I'm aware that some of these were caught already.  Also, it is true that the bike will exit the ECO mode automatically (but not permanently) as you accelerate past a set throttle position and/or RPM.  But if I accelerate gradually from a low RPM I sometimes feel the transition as a "bump" in power that I prefer not to have when negotiating turns so I usually take it out of ECO mode if I'm on a section of road with a number of tight curves.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
WOW!  I'm glad I read my manual.  ::)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
I  belive I informed correctly. Also, the manual says that the ECO mode removes power form the engine, while driving economically does not. When using ECO and driving eco, we are saving a lot of fuel.

Flathead

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
It's amusing how many wrong answer (and statements) there have been on this thread!

First, I'm sure the manual does not say that the mode switch is on the right handlebar.

Second, you do not push the K-TRC button to engage the ECO mode

Third, yes you can engage it while moving

Fourth, the traction control can be engaged/disengaged while moving

The linked braking mode cannot be changed while moving though.

BTW, yes I'm aware that some of these were caught already.  Also, it is true that the bike will exit the ECO mode automatically (but not permanently) as you accelerate past a set throttle position and/or RPM.  But if I accelerate gradually from a low RPM I sometimes feel the transition as a "bump" in power that I prefer not to have when negotiating turns so I usually take it out of ECO mode if I'm on a section of road with a number of tight curves.

+1 But in all fairness, and possibly adding to the confusion, there are two "ECO" modes, the automatic one indicated by the ceo (Economy Riding Indicator), and the manually activated Eco mode (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode). And per the manual the automatic one shuts on and off based on rpm, speed, etc ,while the manually operated one can only be activated while RPM is less that 6K, throttle less than 30% and speed less than 152mph, but does not shut off automatically, in fact there is a note that states "Activating the fuel economy assistance mode decreases horsepower."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
+1 But in all fairness, and possibly adding to the confusion, there are two "ECO" modes, the automatic one indicated by the ceo (Economy Riding Indicator), and the manually activated Eco mode (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode). And per the manual the automatic one shuts on and off based on rpm, speed, etc ,while the manually operated one can only be activated while RPM is less that 6K, throttle less than 30% and speed less than 152mph, but does not shut off automatically, in fact there is a note that states "Activating the fuel economy assistance mode decreases horsepower."

The automatic indicator is not an Eco "mode", it is just displaying information to the rider saying that you are operating the bike (driving)  in a Eco-friendly manner.  When the Eco indicator is on, it is not changing anything.  It does nothing else.  It cannot be turned on or off.  It is just informational, like your fuel gauge.

When "Eco Mode" is turned on (manually) AND displayed, it means the ECU is, indeed, leaning out the mixture to maximize fuel efficiency.  If you drive in an un-Eco-friendly fashion (turn the throttle too fast, or raise the RPM too high) it will temporarily disable Eco Mode until conditions return to being Eco-friendly :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Flathead

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
The automatic indicator is not an Eco "mode", it is just displaying information to the rider saying that you are operating the bike (driving)  in a Eco-friendly manner.  When the Eco indicator is on, it is not changing anything.  It does nothing else.  It cannot be turned on or off.  It is just informational, like your fuel gauge.
Point taken, I probably phrased that wrong in regards to it being a "mode".

When "Eco Mode" is turned on (manually) AND displayed, it means the ECU is, indeed, leaning out the mixture to maximize fuel efficiency.  If you drive in an un-Eco-friendly fashion (turn the throttle too fast, or raise the RPM too high) it will temporarily disable Eco Mode until conditions return to being Eco-friendly :)
I can not find any documentation stating that this mode turns off when riding un-Eco-friendly  :)

My main point was that there may be added confusion since there are two display indicators that are labeled ECO.
So many buttons, so little time  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
Your slower, late model bikes seem complicated.