Author Topic: New Ninja 1000; trade in worthy?  (Read 7779 times)

Offline ManofManyGTs

New Ninja 1000; trade in worthy?
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:03:17 PM »
Just though I'd pick ya'll's brain on something I've been pondering.  I've really been itching to get back on the track after a several year hiatus.  Nothing huge, just want to start back doing a few track days a year.  My current only bike is a my 12 connie which I love dearly.  But, I'm not sure about taking it to a track day with is size, weight, and horrible linked brakes action. Plus, that's a lot of beautiful plastic if the unthinkable happens.

So... I really would like to get a second bike to meet my superbike needs but realistically can't afford two bikes at the moment.  The new 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS has caught my eye.  Its got traction control, ABS, ect, and has cool detachable bags as an option.  I haven't ridden one but it looks on paper to be a really nice tour, and it would be more capable as a occasional track bike in my mind.

So what you think, would trading (down) to a ninja 1000 be a viable option or a bad idea?

Here are a couple of good articles on the 14' Ninja 1000 if you are not familiar:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/02/2014-kawasaki-ninja-1000-abs-first-ride-review-photos/
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/17119/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-ABS-First-Ride.aspx
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New Ninja 1000; trade in worthy?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
You want to trade from a 12k connie to a 12k ninja for a track bike?  ???

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
No.......If you want a track bike, find a track bike.  I promise, the plastic on the Ninja 1000 is just as pretty and expensive.  As a Ninja 1000 owner, I love it.....But, dont confuse it, or the Concours 14 as a track bike. Sure, they'll do it.  You COULD also tour Alaska on a YZ 250.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »
So... I really would like to get a second bike to meet my superbike needs but realistically can't afford two bikes at the moment.  The new 2014 Ninja 1000 ABS has caught my eye.  Its got traction control, ABS, ect, and has cool detachable bags as an option.  I haven't ridden one but it looks on paper to be a really nice tour, and it would be more capable as a occasional track bike in my mind.

I was on the same train of thought last year. I took one for a spin and found it too buzzy, and it's too good on other stuff to be that capable on the track. I kept my C14 for my use (touring and curves), and I wouldn't buy the Ninja 1000 as a tracker. There are better options for that, mainly on the second hand market.
In my opinion, in the track is not a question of IF you'll fall, it's a question of WHEN.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »
I really like the blue one. I could easily see one of those in my garage next to my Connie.  ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
Looks like most of these have already sold.
Just a for instance. Many inexpensive track suitable bikes out there.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
That 1000 bike will make an EXCELLENT track day bike. 

I heard folks tell me to stick with my track bike for track days but I still enjoyed running my street rides on the track.  This bike had over $5,000 in mods, was my street bike, and LOVED the race track!

And off to the track it went, blue tape is like decals, good for 3-4 HP  ;D

One thing I added to the R1 was a steering stabalizer.  Shifting 3rd to 4th at XXX mph and setting the front end down was a death wobble....  i fixed that.

And if you know how to ride at Road Atlanta, you may even be allowed to give yer gurlie a ride out there is she suits up and signs a race waiver ;)

So ENJOY any bike for a track day.  Its not a race, you don;t have to crack your bike up.  I've seen motards, gold wingers, every brand and flavor of 600's/1000s from open bikes to nakie bikes to sportbikes on the track  ENJOY!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
let me add if you're worried about the plastics on the track, a set of aftermarket track plastics can be had on the very very cheap.  even cheaper for used on fleabay or track forums.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »

Yeah, I really enjoyed my 05 R1.  Never made it to the track with it though.  Had a dedicated 2000 R6 for track use up until awhile ago:

2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline spatten

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »
I shudder to think of a Concours on the track with light bikes.  I've seen guys take Hayabusas out and they are basically traffic cones.

Used track bikes, especially 600s IMO are the way to go.  You get all of the upgrades and usually for the price of a really clean older streetbike.

You could probably take a CBR F3 or F4, or an old R6 with high end track suspension and run circles around the Ninja 1000.

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
I shudder to think of a Concours on the track with light bikes.  I've seen guys take Hayabusas out and they are basically traffic cones.

Used track bikes, especially 600s IMO are the way to go.  You get all of the upgrades and usually for the price of a really clean older streetbike.

You could probably take a CBR F3 or F4, or an old R6 with high end track suspension and run circles around the Ninja 1000.

Ohh for sure.  But I am not a very rational person when it comes to toys.  I've done the 600 thing and had a great time.  For some reason, I want to see what superbike power is like on the track and I am infatuated by modern tech such as traction control, ABS, quick shifters, and even wheelie control.  I'd love to have an RSV4. I thought about trading the connie for a Tuono but not sure about my only bike being an Aprilia (reliability issues, not so great dealer network, crappy parts availability).

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »
Ohh for sure.  But I am not a very rational person when it comes to toys. 

I here ya brutha, go for it then!  :chugbeer:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
all the hatin' dissin' going on with the bike....    some guys even enjoy DRAG racing the behemoth C14s

Quote from: dakota9498
Well, I went to the track last Friday.  It was definitely different racing something so big and not to mention stock wheelbase.  I did add a strap that I had from my ZX14 since it was lying around because the 14 forks are now lowered internally.  And after this we went for a 300 mile ride on Sunday.  :)

First pass was an 11.31, second pass was a 11.14, third pass I forgot to turn the traction control off and it came on and killed power so it was only an 12.something.  Unfortunately it was a normal Friday race night, so the next pass was eliminations, and I didn't know what to dial because the last pass felt pretty good before the traction control ruined it.  I dialed and 11.05, cut and .061 light, 1.75 60', got near the stripe and didn't see anyone, so I got on the brake a bit, went across and....broke out.  11.03 Most fun I have ever had losing.  That pass the 60' was over a tenth better than the 11.14 pass, so it would have been down in the 90's at least.

Put the bike on the scales and it was 685 pounds with almost a full tank, probably a gallon shy.  With me fully suited it weighed 880.  To put that into perspective, the ZX-14 and I usually weigh in at 640 pounds ready to race.

For the few interested, here are some pics and a video of my Round 1 loss. :)

Concours 14 Drag Race
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:37:49 AM by stevewfl »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »

Yeah I had those 600's full race dressed too.  But on tracks with LONG straights (daytona, homestead miami, road atlanta) again the litre leaners were much more fun for me.  The Ninja 1000 would kill the 600's in every straight so bad there wouldn't be enough turns to keep up  :D

My 600RR:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 03:52:46 AM »
all the hatin' going on....    some guys even enjoy DRAG racing the behemoth C14s

Hate is such an ugly word.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:52 AM »
I test rode an '11 Ninja 1000 during the "ticket to ride" event in Nashville.  The Ninja 1000 is why I went there, hoping to replace the Ninja 650 with it.  I found it to be too buzzy and more aggressive ergos than the Ninja 650.   I also rode the Concours and the Versys.  The Concours felt too big at the time, but I loved the technology and no chain.  The Versys was the perfect bike for me, but after a year and 16,000 miles of dealing with the chain every night, I was ready for the shaft drive.  It took a while to get used to the Concours, but it is a great touring bike.  I would not take it the places I have taken the Versys though.

I have been reading about the '14 Ninja 1000 and it looks like Kawasaki has addressed several of the complaints that current owners have expressed.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:38:35 AM »
Hate is such an ugly word.

you're  right and I didn;t intend for it to come across as negative either....fixed in original post =)